Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Aug 6, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #4,456 of 9,894
Amazing !!!

I had to look at it for several minutes. Black is nice ! The Bakelite sockets fits it.

It’s 30c here. Same as Singapore. I’m in t-shirts and shorts.

Last night singing on stage was outrageous. A lady was singing Cotton Fields by CCR and the crowd dance like maniacs.

On the boat, the Pretenders entertained us. 😝 I have live music !

D18681C0-F914-4073-8917-162FA099158E.jpeg
Do they do any Marilyn Manson tunes? 🤣

Aug 6, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #4,457 of 9,894
Aug 6, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #4,458 of 9,894
Do they do any Marilyn Manson tunes? 🤣

Marilyn is better. 😀

Zachi’s Super Black Ultimate is completed and singing away. I’ve seen pictures of it with Miflex and Russian caps. Looking very smart and as usual, exemplary internal chassis work.

Aug 6, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #4,459 of 9,894
It’s coming up to 2 weeks now without my head-fi gear. I’m starting to miss it. By the time I get home, I would have gone without my setups for more than 5 weeks.

Eric will be building my Super Gold Ultimate next, followed by Mordy, David and Craig. I had my 1st Mini Silver Ultimate at end of March, followed by the Junior Wood Ultimate. I am naturally excited with the 3rd and last Ultimate that I will be getting. It wouldn’t be new for me because I already have sampled it with Bryant’s Ultimate.

There will be 2 different items though. Mine will have Miflex and Mundorf caps and as Eric always reminds me, my Mundorf caps will be the 1.0 uf version. I doubt that will translate to better sound.

What I am most interested in, is to use Ultimate as preamp into my Redgum amp to drive Susvara. That to me is Nirvana and what I miss most on this vacation.

Aug 7, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #4,461 of 9,894
This is a great site for excellent recordings of the highest quality. https://trptk.com/

Aug 7, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #4,462 of 9,894
It’s coming up to 2 weeks now without my head-fi gear. I’m starting to miss it. By the time I get home, I would have gone without my setups for more than 5 weeks.

Eric will be building my Super Gold Ultimate next, followed by Mordy, David and Craig. I had my 1st Mini Silver Ultimate at end of March, followed by the Junior Wood Ultimate. I am naturally excited with the 3rd and last Ultimate that I will be getting. It wouldn’t be new for me because I already have sampled it with Bryant’s Ultimate.

There will be 2 different items though. Mine will have Miflex and Mundorf caps and as Eric always reminds me, my Mundorf caps will be the 1.0 uf version. I doubt that will translate to better sound.

What I am most interested in, is to use Ultimate as preamp into my Redgum amp to drive Susvara. That to me is Nirvana and what I miss most on this vacation.
Hello,

Unfortunately I can't tell you 100% if 1uf is really better or worse.
I guess you'll just have to trust Eric.

In my experience and if you go by what Vcap says that you should use less Uf to get to the 20HZ limit you should go down with the value if it allows it.

But we know that Eric is a smart guy, so he will know what he is doing.
You will tell us.
Remember that the Milfex takes a long time to arrive.
Which Milfex was it again that Eric put in, the white one or the dark one in the brown finish?

Milfex uses polypropylene in their capacitors, I read.
I don't know the property 100% but it doesn't seem like a bad thing.
I can imagine that it is better than the Mundorf SGO.

Aug 7, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #4,463 of 9,894
Aug 7, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #4,464 of 9,894
Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #4,465 of 9,894
Hello,
Yes, I'm curious to know how high.
From experience, I now know that a good capacitor can be very important in a tube amp.
Even with Eric's amp it has a big influence on the rest of what comes out.

I can hear clear differences through the dualcap when I select them.
Regardless of what is installed, cap X does better here and there than cap Y and vice versa.
In the meantime, I'm starting to get to know them.

When I listen to the Euforia and then change, there is definitely still room for improvement.
I can hear that much in the meantime.
I also think that the added value of transformers is rather smaller than one thinks and tries to convey.
If you were to estimate it, the transformer would be more like 5%, while the capacitor can make up 20%, depending on the design and type.

The Milfex does not make a bad visual impression.
You could actually enjoy it.

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #4,466 of 9,894
Ultimate has gained another local customer.

A client visited Eric’s place to audition the amp and Zachi’s Ultimate was used for the demo. So impressed by what he heard, this client wanted to buy the Super Black Ultimate straight away but Eric told him that amp is for another customer.

Furthermore he tried Miflex vs Russian caps and much prefer Miflex caps and he wanted Miflex in his amp.

So another local customer joins the queue and much as I am enjoying my vacation here, I am missing the ultimate thrill. 😋

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #4,467 of 9,894
Ultimate has gained another local customer.

A client visited Eric’s place to audition the amp and Zachi’s Ultimate was used for the demo. So impressed by what he heard, this client wanted to buy the Super Black Ultimate straight away but Eric told him that amp is for another customer.

Furthermore he tried Miflex vs Russian caps and much prefer Miflex caps and he wanted Miflex in his amp.

So another local customer joins the queue and much as I am enjoying my vacation here, I am missing the ultimate thrill. 😋

Aug 9, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #4,468 of 9,894
I will pick up my Ultimate (and Zachi’s Ultimate) on the 1st Sept, the first day of Spring, where the flowers bloom and the robins sing.

Will be bringing home a gold and black Super Ultimates and I will get a chance to audition Mundorf, Miflex and Russian caps together. Will also compare Teflon and Bakelite sockets.

Meanwhile I shall not think too much about Ultimate because there’s so much happening here everyday. The best days of UntilThen’s life. 😜

Aug 9, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #4,470 of 9,894
This is from SingaporeHiFi blog. As with everything, it’s best if you evaluate coupling caps in your own setup and do not just rely on write-ups. Evaluation takes time and personal preference plays a big part, so don’t just rely on others impressions.

Miflex KPCU

This is a physically very large capacitor and requires a lot of space for installation as well as very secure fastening (they are really heavy !). Miflex hails from Poland and while their capacitors are not cheap, they have been touted by some as being serious contenders.

The KPCU is a copper foil, paper, polypropylene, and oil-impregnated capacitor. That's a mouthful and you could either end up with a capacitor that has it all, or a jumbled sonic mess. Thankfully, it turned out to be the former.

Not surprisingly, this capacitor has a warmish glow to it, similar to many of the other oil capacitors here. Its glow factor is in-between the K42Y-2 and the Jensen Pure Copper Foil. The organic flow and musicality reminds me of the Jensen - you just want to listen to hours on end. However, this capacitor has plenty of speed when required and an even higher level of resolution. Bass is tight, packs a wallop and has plenty of articulation too. For some reason, plucked instruments come out with more force and projection compared to the other capacitors here.

Make no mistake, this capacitor is not in the "neutral" camp. However, if you want an organic sound that is also highly detailed and holographic, this is the capacitor for you.

Mundorf Silver / Gold / Oil

These capacitors are on loan from TC, and are larger in value compared to the rest of the capacitors tested, at 4.7 uF. Some people believe that the extra amount of foil may be a handicap as the signal has to travel through more material.

Sonically, these capacitors are towards the warm and rich side. While there is plenty of high-frequency extension, this is firmly anchored with solid bass, and a full and luscious mid-bass. The glow factor on this capacitor is in-between the Rike Audio and the Miflex. Images had a solidity and density akin to increasing the colour saturation on your digital photos.

Music has a very nice flow although I find that the Miflex is better in terms of sheer musicality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back