Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Aug 9, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #4,471 of 9,894
I’ll include the Russian and V-CAP that Deleeh talks much about. Remember you can get this Russian version from Eric if you want with no extra charge while his stocks last. As for the V-CAPs, I will not get to sample it because I am not spending more money. 😇

Russian K42Y-2 Vintage Capacitors

Russian vintage capacitors are actually pretty good for audio purposes. Despite legends of these being military surplus (likely) or pulls from missile launchers or the like, every single capacitor I've received over the last few years appear to be new old stock. You can still try telling your kids or grand-kids tall tales, they probably would be none the wiser.

The K42Y-2 is a paper-in-oil capacitor and is available only in small capacitance values. It has a sturdy case and looks like it will outlive it's owner.

If you disregard the relatively expensive shipping from Russia or the Ukraine (where most of the sellers are based), these capacitors are an absolute bargain.

Tonally, the K42Y-2 would best be described as having an inverted-U shape, with a more prominent midrange. I hesitate to describe these as rolled-off at both ends of the frequency spectrum, but both the bass and treble are not as pushed out, and sound relatively recessed.

These capacitors are not as heavy-handed as some other paper-in-oil models on the market. Vocals have a creamy and velvety smooth texture to them, and you lose some articulation in favour of a pleasing liquidity and some warmth. I did not find this capacitor to be syrupy or slow - it has decent pacing and good amounts of detail.

That famous phrase comes to mind - good, cheap and fast, you can only choose two. In this case, shipping takes a long time. Otherwise, this is an excellent capacitor for the money.

V-Cap TFTF

I've had this capacitor for a while, but never got around to installing it. This is the older version which is physically smaller than the revised version that has now been discontinued. Introduced in 2004, the V-Cap TFTF was VH Audio's premium capacitor until the CuTF series was launched. The TFTF uses teflon and tin foil film. V-Caps are considered some of the finest products on the market, and unfortunately they carry a commensurate price tag.

This capacitor requires lengthy burn-in to get best results. Even after 200 hours of burn-in, they still sounded a touch light-weight and overly smooth. 2 days of use in the actual circuit helped tremendously.

Some of the best capacitors on test here are like a photographer looking at the world through top-notch optics. The TFTF is akin to putting your camera down and observing the world through the naked eye. It has neutrality and resolution that is unparalleled, coupled with a naturalness that is free from harshness and grain of any sort. This leaves the components to do the talking, and this is truly a capacitor that does not give away any clue that it is there, whether through a distinct sonic footprint, or sonic aberrations of any sort. This is a double-edged sword. If you are a chef with the finest and freshest ingredients, you would do just fine. But if you have lesser ingredients, seasoning goes a long way.

You get tight and powerful bass true to the recording, no more or less. The same goes for the rest of the frequency range. The naturalness of transients means that you may want to look elsewhere if you like a very precise leading edge or other demonstrations of sonic fireworks.

V-Cap ODAM

This is a new product from VH Audio. ODAM stands for "Oil Damped Advanced Metalized". This capacitor uses metallized film that is oil impregnated and hermetically sealed. This capacitor is said to be leak friendly and suitable for vacuum tube circuit use, with a maximum heat rating of 105 degrees C. Unlike the the TFTF I have, the ODAM is compact and should fit nicely in most installations.

These capacitors sound similar to the TFTF in that they do the audiophile equivalent of the Cheshire Cat - they disappear, leaving a wide silly grin (instead) on your face. They have a shade less transparency compared to the TFTF, and a slightly warmer and juicier sound that is more forgiving. I found it easier to be emotionally engaged with this capacitor, especially with less than stellar recordings. Apart from that, you get the extreme resolution, separation and staging of the TFTF.

Despite their lower price tag compared to the V-Cap Teflon film models, I think this would be the better choice for most audiophiles. This capacitor is guaranteed to give you many "Oh Damn !" moments as you savour all the sonic goodies that this has to offer.

Aug 9, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #4,473 of 9,894
Do heed the author’s advice. If you try to dissect every minute details in your tube amp, you will miss the music completely. 😀

‘Actually, no one likes comparing capacitors. Do we really have nothing better to do in life but to swap capacitors in and out of circuit, burning in numerous capacitors just to find out how they sound ?’

Aug 9, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #4,474 of 9,894
Do heed the author’s advice. If you try to dissect every minute details in your tube amp, you will miss the music completely. 😀

‘Actually, no one likes comparing capacitors. Do we really have nothing better to do in life but to swap capacitors in and out of circuit, burning in numerous capacitors just to find out how they sound ?’
Hmmm - we do like comparing tubes, don't we? So why not capacitors? The obvious solution is to have individual plug-in boards with all the different capacitors, and then run each for 200 hours and then compare the sound lol...

Aug 9, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #4,475 of 9,894
Hmmm - we do like comparing tubes, don't we? So why not capacitors? The obvious solution is to have individual plug-in boards with all the different capacitors, and then run each for 200 hours and then compare the sound lol...

If you try to do that, you will miss the sunrises. By the time you’re done, you have reached life’s journey end. 😝

Aug 9, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #4,477 of 9,894
Not saying a cap comparo from 2010 with 2019 updates on gear we haven't heard is useless... but it's the next best thing 🤣

We know that the same tubes sound different in different amps. And we also know that different opinions sound different on the internet. Viva La Difference!

We have our own cap rolling thread here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/orgy-of-capacitors-the-cap-thread.284863/
Started in 2008 and sporadically updated as time, caps and ears burned-in. :joy:

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #4,478 of 9,894
Aug 9, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #4,480 of 9,894
From that thread, Miflex needs 500 hours to burn in. I need another holiday. 😀
You had the chance while you were away to have @bcowen to break in the Miflex with the SET amp in your golf cart. Lots of golfers enjoy Marilyn Manson at 115dB 🤣

I found the Miflex opened up after 100 hours just fine. Of course, as soon as they were sounding good, rolled in different caps. :sweat_smile:

Aug 9, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #4,481 of 9,894
Lots of golfers enjoy Marilyn Manson at 115dB 🤣
… they even find that ‘clubhead speed’ in mph = MM in dB. 115 is thus perfect for those ultra-delicate downhill greenside wedge shots with no margin for error and water looming everywhere … 🤔😂.

Aug 9, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #4,482 of 9,894
Damm it’s only 6am here but it’s 8am back in Sydney.

Sunrise soon and I will continue my food test in this idyllic island paradise. 😎
Hey, wouldn’t Idyllic be a great name for an amp - it would never be idle … 😳🤣.

Aug 9, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #4,483 of 9,894
You had the chance while you were away to have @bcowen to break in the Miflex with the SET amp in your golf cart. Lots of golfers enjoy Marilyn Manson at 115dB 🤣

I found the Miflex opened up after 100 hours just fine. Of course, as soon as they were sounding good, rolled in different caps. :sweat_smile:
I've been busy washing @UntilThen 's golf cart while he's away. No rest for the weary, I suppose. 🤣

1691631535430.png

Aug 9, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #4,484 of 9,894

Eric is burning in Zachi’s caps. Odd days is Miflex and even days is Russian.

I would get Bcowen to do the burn in but he has only one song - My Way by Frank Sinatra !

Aug 9, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #4,485 of 9,894
Eric is burning in Zachi’s caps. Odd days is Miflex and even days is Russian.

I would get Bcowen to do the burn in but he has only one song - My Way by Frank Sinatra !
… actually two: the other is I Left My Cart In San Francisco Bay … 🤪.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back