Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
May 5, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #256 of 9,892
This is excellent. The LCD4 can switch between the 2 amps anytime. Both amps fed from the M51. Both amps sound amazing. 300b definitely for vocals but the 6L6 is great with rock !

This is how it will be for me when Odyssey comes. Odyssey and Destiny... I don't need any other amp. These 2 amps satisfy my needs.

May 5, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #257 of 9,892
The problem is how to give up Sword. With the RCA 6L6 in place, I'm getting hallucinations. When Phil Collins sings 'In the air tonight' live, I just hug my knees in disbelief at the tonal presentation. I want this amp !

IMG_2360.jpg

May 6, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #261 of 9,892
Having these 2 amps side by side for instant comparison is a really fun exercise. All listening done with LCD4. These RFT EL34 has such a sweet tone, I had a hard time deciding which amp to plug the headphone jack in. These amps have so much power to drive the LCD4, it's addictive. I can't see how I could live without Odyssey and Destiny together.

Btw Odyssey is not this amp. It's an amp to be built by Ultrasonic Studios but it will be able to use all these power tubes as well.

IMG_2362.jpg

May 6, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #262 of 9,892
There are some purchases this year that I really like and there were a lot of purchases but only a few stood out. They are the He1000se, LCD4 and Destiny. The year is not out yet and I believe that when Odyssey arrives, it will be a knockout.

I had a few days of trying various tubes with Eric's personal KT150 amp. Whilst I like all the different power tubes such as KT150, KT88 (various brands), KT77, EL34, it's the RFT EL34 that stood out. If I have my GEC KT66 and Philips Miniwatt 6CA7 and Telefunken EL12 spez, EL39 and Radiotron 807 here, I'm sure they will go to the top of the class but I'll have to wait for Odyssey to do that. I'm returning the KT150 amp to Eric this Sat.

Taking pictures of Sword of Destiny has given me the most satisfaction because it turn out very well. They do look lovely together. Before I finished, here's my quick ranking on the 3 pairs of KT88 that I tried. It was very close but they are :- Psvane KT88 Tii, Shugang KT88 50 years treasures and Svetlana KT88.

Sorry I've no time or inclinations to describe tube tones like what I do before. Maybe when I get Odyssey.

This combination look gorgeous to my eyes but I've no doubt that when I put Odyssey and Destiny side by side, it will be even more stunning.

Best.jpg

May 8, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #264 of 9,892
Late night listening with Eric's KT88 amp on Michael Buble 'Home'. Feel like I'm heading home. Simplicity in looks and beautiful in tone. The Psvane Classic mkii kt88 blending in with the amp. I will have this amp for one more week. Should get to know it's sound signature well by then.

IMG_2394.jpg

May 8, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #265 of 9,892
Didn't I tell you that the Psvane Classic mkii kt88 are better than the rest?

This guy thinks so.

Got the Psvanes. They replaced KT88 treasures and prior to that Pentas and gold lions. There’s just no comparison. If I had to really quantify what I’m hearing I would say the Psvanes just have confidence to sound amazing where as the treasures sound awesome, but polite and demur. in either case the treasures and the Psvanes beat the pants off of the GLs or anything else for that matter.

Pez on AudioCircle

May 13, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #268 of 9,892
Tomorrow morning, Sword goes back to Eric and I will miss it. For nearly 2 weeks I have been using this amp with a variety of power tubes to drive LCD4.

Sound is open and airy with wonderful clarity. Bass is weighted and impact is very good. Midrange is focussed and engaging. I find the tonality superb and it drives LCD4 with ease and power. From memory of my experience with Auris Nirvana driving LCD4, Sword’s sonic presentation is just as good. Soundstage is beautifully wide and imaging is superb. As I said earlier, I will miss this SET triode configured amp.

Currently running Gold Lion KT77 tubes with bias manually set at 50mV, I just wonder how much better GEC KT77 will be in this amp.

Drivers are 9 pin equivalent of 6EM7 and rectifier is Sittard GZ34 Made in Holland.

As this has no headphone output, I’m using speaker taps and it’s a great tone. I could wish for no more.

B8A127A8-C32F-45BB-834B-964E06698F81.jpeg

May 14, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #269 of 9,892
My eyes could not believe what I see and my ears could not believe what I hear. 2 Destinies !!!

Both almost identical sounding but I think I detect a very very slight difference in tone.

Difference could be because Destiny 1 is based on timE design and uses Genalex PX300 tubes whereas Destiny 2 is based on pEar (parafeed) design and uses TJ Music 300b mesh plates tubes. Destiny 1 is also more burn in than Destiny 2. @Yetiman72 is going to be so pleased because Destiny 2 is a knockout in sound and looks. I almost wanted to keep both amps. :ksc75smile:

Somehow both led colour matches each amp perfectly with the tubes glow. Eric has surpassed himself in producing these masterpieces.

IMG_2433.jpg

May 14, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #270 of 9,892
Ain't got time to post impressions anymore. I'm just lapping up songs after songs. A picture taken this afternoon. Now Tomas ask me to send him my tubes for Odyssey which means that amp build is starting soon ! I'm getting excitement overload now. As if that is not enough, the Tung Sol 6550 1960s arrived late today. Man this tube is just incredible. Bass king and voluptuous midrange.

IMG_2425.jpg

Tung Sol 6550 in Sword before the amp goes back to Eric. This tube is perfect for rock, blues because the bass is just in-cre-di-ble. Can't wait to try it in Odyssey.
IMG_2428.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back