Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jun 2, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #1,592 of 9,894
Rca in action. Looks plain vanilla but sounds fantastic

I have a pair of Sylvania 6y6ga that is the same shape as your RCA 6y6ga. They sound great.

I look at your GE 6y6g tube and they are not NOS - probably used and not in good shape and health. :) You can buy a NOS pair from me but I don't think you need to because there are other alternatives that are very good. Besides the Radiotron 6F6G is good enough.

Jun 2, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #1,594 of 9,894
I had a look inside the chassis and the point to point wiring is very neat and clean looking. Can see the Mundorf Supreme Silver Gold Oil caps with Gold letterings.

Eric has done a great job here.

Jun 2, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #1,595 of 9,894
Now that the RCA and Radiotron sound so good I am not as urgent to get new tubes.

Don't be in a hurry to get big power tubes because the 6*6 family of tubes are pretty capable performers. They are gutsy enough with nice slam and punch. Don't forget that 6v6 are used in well known guitar amps.

6v6 tubes also tend to have a fuller bass, which may be a reason why it sounds fatter, huskier and “better” when overdriven compared to EL-84 tubes.

Jun 2, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #1,596 of 9,894
Eric told me

All parameters measured OK, and UlimatE in wood is singing with a pair of 6Y6GA and 12AV7...
I don't think it needs much fine tune or run in, as it has been standard. ...

PS.. This is a foreign breed of McChanson UltimatE, with foreign outputs, coupling caps and even solders !!! it is an UltimatE UltimA

:sweat_smile:

Jun 2, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #1,597 of 9,894

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #1,598 of 9,894
I will be a McChanson UltimatE owner !! 🥹🙂. Mine will have the various Mundorf upgrades, ALPs upgrade, input / headphone socket upgrade. I will not have speaker ‘outs’ or RCA / XLR switching. Late July / early August !!

Well well well... you caught me off guard. I did not expect... but congrats! We've much in common. :relaxed: Now to get Bcowen to order one. :dt880smile:

Wait.. what chassis are you getting?

Not the best picture but will do for now.

IMG_6350.jpg

Jun 2, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #1,599 of 9,894
Well well well... you caught me off guard. I did not expect... but congrats! We've much in common. :relaxed: Now to get Bcowen to order one. :dt880smile:

Wait.. what chassis are you getting?

Not the best picture but will do for now.

IMG_6350.jpg
The silver front / no woodwork. I must say that Eric is very attentive; he is great to work with !!

Jun 2, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #1,600 of 9,894
The silver front / no woodwork. I must say that Eric is very attentive; he is great to work with !!

Good choice. I like the silver Ultimate for it's compactness. I also agree with that comment about Eric. He is a super nice person in real life and as you said, he remembers the details. I am fortunate to have met him.

Jun 2, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #1,601 of 9,894
Good choice. I like the silver Ultimate for it's compactness. I also agree with that comment about Eric. He is a super nice person in real life and as you said, he remembers the details. I am fortunate to have met him.
• I feel blessed / lucky to have found out about Eric (via this thread, thank you Matt), let alone to actually have an h/p/a built by him!
• I like the purposeful yet attractive look of the silver UltimatE. I think that you suggested to Nick Ryan (?) a ‘copper panel’ … that immediately made me think of Icon Audio HP8 Signature*** … which will definitely be a comparison for UltimatE, besides enjoying UltimatE in its own right !
==================================
4B85D6B1-3A34-44DA-A04B-2A096F35C766.jpeg
[my favourite h/p/a for Grados & others.]

Jun 2, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #1,602 of 9,894
• I feel blessed / lucky to have found out about Eric (via this thread, thank you Matt), let alone to actually have an h/p/a built by him!
• I like the purposeful yet attractive look of the silver UltimatE. I think that you suggested to Nick Ryan (?) a ‘copper panel’ … that immediately made me think of Icon Audio HP8 Signature*** … which will definitely be a comparison for UltimatE, besides enjoying UltimatE in its own right !

Very nice Jonathan. That Icon does look attractive. My lost that I have not heard it yet. I suggested to Zachik to get the copper top with the wooden chassis. Maybe no contrast? @Zachik I'm waiting for you to pull the trigger because you won't be disappointed with how Ultimate sound.

After more than a month, not only am I glued to Ultimate but it gets better and better. I'm pretty much sold on the sound. That's what is most important to me.

Jun 2, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #1,603 of 9,894
Grado RS1X with Ultimate. Tubes are Fonon 6F6M1 metal base and Brimar CV455 KB/FB Footscray with RCA 6BW4 rectifier.There's something special about the tonality even at about 6 hours into the amp.

My only regret is that my RS1X is not xlr balanced terminated. :)

IMG_6351.jpg

Jun 2, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #1,604 of 9,894
Well done Matt hours of listening pleasure ahead . . . . . .

Yeah not much else is going to get done !

Put on some hires music like you have and you will be glued to your chair. I have 2 mates coming today to sample Ultimate and my other gear. @xtiva and @gzbaga will be here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back