Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jun 2, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #1,621 of 9,894
Jun 2, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #1,622 of 9,894
Jun 2, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #1,623 of 9,894
They have a womanly version. :relaxed:
Yes, and somehow appropriately, it's called the Snapper. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

1685755796944.png

Jun 2, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #1,624 of 9,894
XLR connectors on the top right would be better if they were turned 90 degrees to the right.
The headphone jacks would probably be rotated 180 degrees as well.
Or is the operation as it is now good for you?

I wasn’t consulted on the position of the rca and xlr inputs. My choice would be for them to be in a row facing backwards. Not sure if there is room though. However I am ok with how it is now. I won’t be changing the connections often anyway.

Jun 2, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #1,628 of 9,894
Have fun with your new UltimatE toy.
Eric will build mine at his leisure and start soon.
We also agree on the final configuration.

I brought this up with my Elac El50 Mk2 speakers but it went uncommented, probably he forgot.
I will see if he will have speaker connections or not.
If necessary, my Akai AA 1150 will drive them.

My configuration now looks like this for the UltimatE:

Wood drivers
Mundorf Silver/Oil caps
Mundorf solder
XLR in and out (out via headphones)
Rca in and out (out 6.3 jack)
Upgrade socket, Alps and Rca plug
I also agreed to the 6SN7 socket instead of the 9 pin socket for the driver tube.
Since the 6SN7 is more stable and less susceptible to damage, it is also cheaper to replace the adapter if something should happen. (Purely for information)

@UntilThen
Eric sent me a photo of yours.
I took a closer look at it now that I've cleared my head a bit from this strange week.
It's complaining on a high level on my part and maybe a tad too German,(😁😁😁) but I think purely for comfort purposes your XLR connectors on the top right would be better if they were turned 90 degrees to the right.
The headphone jacks would probably be rotated 180 degrees as well.
Or is the operation as it is now good for you?
For left-handers it is probably good, for right-handers a little suboptimal but not necessarily bad.
Please take with a grain of salt.
I'm a metalworker by trade and that kind of thing sticks out in my mind sometimes.
Sometimes I'm a bit too fond of detail myself, especially when I do things myself.
So no criticism or anything, it's more a question to you and how you think about it frankly.

Should I wait to buy the Russian tube you mentioned?

UltimaTT wirh double T sounds good,is freaky.Nice idea from Eric,😁👍😁😇
So you decided go with the mundorf supreme solder then?

Jun 2, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #1,629 of 9,894
So you decided go with the mundorf supreme solder then?
I would recommend that as well as Mundorf Supreme Silver Gold Oil coupling caps.

Ultimatt sounds great off the starting blocks. Can only imagine how the amp sound after 150 hours.

Silke transformers does make a difference after the initial listen. Again more burn in required.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #1,631 of 9,894
Ok I connected my Coral BX2000‘s up to check the Head amp speaker output, very nice, speakers are 103db so very sensative. I recorded some short clips, sounds very good room is big, high ceiling, 6m x 6m recorded on my trusty old iPad so quality sounds better if you are here ! Speakers should also be off the floor. Volume on the head amp was at 12 o clock position so plenty more to go. I recorded some tracks but even a minute long they are too large to upload. Anybody wanting to hear them pm me for email address and I’ll send them to you as speakers are for sale offers around $500, need some cosmetics on grilles.

Specifications
System: 3-way, 5-speaker
Speakers: In each speaker,
1 x woofer : 12" (305 mm)
2 x midranges : 5" (127 mm)
2 x tweeters : 2 ½" (64 mm) cone type tweeter
Capacity: 100 W
Sensitivity: 103 dB
Frequency Range: 25 - 25,000 Hz
Impedance: 8 Ω
Cabinet: Bass-reflex type
Dimensions (H x W x D): 650 x 420 x 280 mm

Weight: 22 kg (48,4 lbs) EACH

Attachments

• IMG_1151.jpeg
    IMG_1151.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5899.jpeg
    IMG_5899.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #1,632 of 9,894
Ok I connected my Coral BX2000‘s up to check the Head amp speaker output, very nice, speakers are 103db so very sensative. I recorded some short clips, sounds very good room is big, high ceiling, 6m x 6m recorded on my trusty old iPad so quality sounds better if you are here ! Speakers should also be off the floor. Volume on the head amp was at 12 o clock position so plenty more to go. I recorded some tracks but even a minute long they are too large to upload. Anybody wanting to hear them pm me for email address and I’ll send them to you as speakers are for sale offers around $500, need some cosmetics on grilles.

Wow are those 15” woofers…. I could be interested

Jun 2, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #1,633 of 9,894
Hi I was going to show you these but we sort of ran out of time, they are 12 inch woofers, I just added specs.

Jun 2, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #1,635 of 9,894

Users who are viewing this thread

Back