ER6 driven by iPod shuffle?
Jan 15, 2007 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Razoramus

100+ Head-Fier
I'm pretty much set on either the ER6 or ER6i but from reading about these two iems I would prefer the higher accuracy and details over emphasized bass. My question is: Would the ER6 be driven acceptably by the iPod shuffle? I know the ER6i would be completely fine with it's lower impedence, higher sensitivity, and boosted response across the range. I don't think much volume would be needed for iems since they isolate. It would greatly be appreciated if someone who's had experience with an ER6 can tell me if it can be driven well straight from a DAP.

Thanks,
Razor

Jan 15, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 18
Yes, it will...........but the 12% increase in er6i bass response really is more desirable.

Jan 15, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 18
Thanks for the response, but I'm an "anti-basshead".
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 18
You can be an anti-basshead and still enjoy the bass in your music. For this I recommend the ER6i. Even with the extra boost, the bass never becomes overpowering and it doesn't ruin the midrange or the treble. The ER6 is comparatively dry sounding, and I find it hard to listen to for long amounts of time, although I guess it's more neutral than the "i" version

Jan 15, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Razoramus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the response, but I'm an "anti-basshead".
smily_headphones1.gif

He said improved bass response (which is always a good thing), not bass bloom.
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 18
Well the etymotic site says the bass in the ER6i is boosted. I've also seen comments of better bass quality and detail in the ER6, that the ER6 would provide better SQ but the ER6i is better for portable use. I think I would like the ER6 better but if they can't be driven correctly out of my shuffle then I'd get the ER6i. I'm already torn in this decision.
frown.gif

EDIT: I just noticed the ER6i has a flatter response with everything boosted...now I really have to reconsider.

Jan 15, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #7 of 18
The ER6 or ER6i can be driven directly out of the ipod shuffle with no problem. I would say go with the ER6i since the boosted bass response will be more desered when listening to music. The ER6 is really dry sounding IMO.

Jan 15, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 18
I just plugged my ER-6 into my wife's G2 Shuffle, and no, there's no problem driving it. If you wanted the answer from a G1 Shuffle instead, let me know - I'll dig mine up and try it, though I very much doubt the answer will be any different. I normally use my ER-6 from a G1 Nano, and that too drives it very nicely.

The increased bass response of the ER-6i (I have it too) is IMO pretty modest. It is far from enough to bother me (an Ety-lovin', K501-lovin' non-basshead), and it definitely doesn't transform the Ety sound into something different and bass-driven.

Though the ER-6i's bass is a little louder in my A/B trials using quick-and-dirty subjective volume matching, the ER-6's bass is, to my ears, much more present - much more real and natural, almost as if you could feel that puff of air when the kick drum gets slammed. It's cool. And it's not overdone at all. Like the rest of the ER-6's sound, it's just clean and clear.

Between the two I'd suggest the ER-6, especially given what you've said of your tastes, but I think very highly of both.

Jan 15, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #9 of 18
I'd just like to point out that the ER-6 is actually quite flat. The bass isn't recessed as many people say, it's just more neutral than the Shure, UE and Westone 'phones people are used to. I'm a basshead, and I found that with EQ on my 1212m, I could apply something like 20+ db from 20-100 Hz with no distortion at all. Those things can kick like a mule if you want them to.

The point I'm trying to make, I guess, is how confident I am in Etymotic. I haven't heard the ER-6is, but I can give you a reasonable assurance that they won't be big or bloated sounding at all.

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 18
I use the ER-6i + 512MB Shuffle combo when I'm out and about in the city and don't feel like bringing my larger iPod rig with me. I can say without a doubt that the Shuffle has more than enough power for the ER-6is...I usually only listen to them with the volume at about 50%, and even then, they're as loud as I'd listen to them.

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #11 of 18
My first gen Shuffle has no problems driving AL im716's which have a reputation as being tough to drive. In fact the Shuffle drives these better than either my Video Ipod or a Sony NWHD5. I really enjoy the combination of im716's and the Shuffle. Nice mids and highs. Very good sense of dynamics and timing. This combination came as a pleasant surprise. My favorite portable setup and my second favorite of all, behind my Arcam/Woo Audio/Senn 650 combo.

Jan 15, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #12 of 18
I enjoy both 1G Shuffle (1st generation, 1 gig) and my G2 Nano with the ER6i headphones. I use this combo for working out and sometime travelling. The iPod/Hornet or Tomahawk has pretty much taken over for travelling though.

I think the original Shuffle drives these IEMs quite well.

Jan 15, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #13 of 18
Thanks for all the responses, I'm going to go ahead and order the ER6. I feel it will be more my taste. Thanks for offering to try them out with your G1 episiarch, I think they'll be fine since the G1 is supposed to be stronger than the G2.

Jan 19, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastercheif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The internal amp of the 1G iPod shuffle rivals many other DAPs, including that of the larger iPods.

I'll second that. I just took my G2 shuffle out of the package last night and loaded it up. I was suprised to find that the sound was better than expected. I had lost hope in my ER-6's as I found them to bright. I even had custom molds made. The molds helped tremendously but still left me with a sound from my unamped 4G 20 Gig and PSP that I didn't like. I had to feed them with an amp where I could control the sound with different chips.

When I used them with the G2 Shuffle it was sound I wanted. I'm thinking that this will become my travel rig as carrying a full size ipod, amp and cans just became cumbersome on plains and airport checkpoints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back