er-6 isolators or shure e2c's?
Aug 16, 2006 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

luke16

New Head-Fier
i am planning on buying some "high" end headphones ($80 is alot for me) fir my mp3 player. i was reading reviews and had mixed answers on the items. i hear thar the etymotic's can have lacking bass but an eq setting can change that.

Aug 16, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 16
EQ can't really change that.
Shure E2's will always have more bass. They're more "fun" meaning less detailed and more "musical" in my words.
The Ety's are less fun but more detailed and have a lot more highs.

Aug 16, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
EQ can't really change that.
Shure E2's will always have more bass. They're more "fun" meaning less detailed and more "musical" in my words.
The Ety's are less fun but more detailed and have a lot more highs.

You hit the nail.

The E2c's have a more rather warm sound towards the somewhat dry sound of the ER6i's.

Aug 16, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 16
well, my music of choice is metal/rock (and yes, occasionally some techno), but mostly metal (anthrax, slayer, megadeath, slipknot). anyway, what about e3c's?? i hear the 2c's hurt in your ear.

Aug 16, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 16
ER-6i bass is fine to my ears, and I like metal too.

The bass goes deep even without an eq, but it's not boomy. Personally I prefer deep bass to midbass thump, which is what most people seem to associate with "good bass". I can hear 30-50hz notes clearly on the ER-6i. They're not going to rattle your skull or anything, but the bass is clearly there, and by most accounts the 6i has the strongest bass of the ety series.

I've been happy with the ER-6i and I have similair tastes in music; they may also isolate a bit better than the Shure's if you plan on using them in a noisy environment. This is the primary reason why I chose the ER-6i.

Hope this helps

Aug 16, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 16
I have listened to both the e3c's and er6i's on my portable and done an A/B comparison

The e3c's have rolled off highs and a very forward presentation of mids. The bass has better impact (or 'thump') than the er6i's, but the quality of the bass is decidedly lower. The mids tend to overshadow everything else, making the e3c's sound flat and muddy. The upper bass also tends to bleed into everything.

However, for all its shortcomings, I prefer the e3c. the er6i's have better highs, but they can be a bit harsh and tinny, esp. with lower bitrates/poorer recordings. The e3cs are considerably more 'fun' and forgiving of source and source material (which suits it to mp3s). Vocals, in general, seem hollow and recessed on the er6is; the e3c's definitely have more 'body' in this regard. Separation between instruments is much better on the er6is, but there is little impact imo- the sound is thin and probably not suited to the genres of music you listen to (rock/metal). The e3cs are more musical, forward, and exciting in comparison, and the bass impact (with foamies) is fun.

Aug 16, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 16
my music is all 192 or higher....

i think the er6 i's is what i am gonna try. if i don't like them, i can return them to amazon.

if someone knows where to find the e3c's or er6i's cheap let me know.

Aug 17, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 16
Have you considered the Altec Lansing IM716? They're only $70 shipped from Amazon now and arguable better than the ER6 and E2C... I just bought a pair and they're quite good (and I've owned the E4C, ER4P, and 5pro).

Drew

Aug 17, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #10 of 16
Yup, ER-6i comes in black. If you don't like the amound of bass you get, you can always get a cheap amp like a PA2V2 or Go-Vibe 5 to get the bass coming out from them.

Aug 17, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 16
i know er6 i's are black.....

i think the er6 i's are gonna be what i buy. the e2c is uncomfortable and inferrior, the e3c is expensive, the antec lansing im716 is white, and all others are expensive (er4, e4c, e5c, e6c, etc, super fi pro 5)

Westone UM1 ($110) or super fi 3 ($70) might be able to give me that sound/style combination i want. the um1 is a bit over what i intended to spend ($30 more). i would like to hear/read from anyone who knows or has experienced these buds.

um1's are looking better and better with them being more comfortable and stellar sound (after reading some reviews).

Aug 17, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #13 of 16
Here's a link where oyu might be able to find some information.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154666

I've heard they are some of the most comfortable and accurate IEM's made. I've also heard that the difference gap in price and overall SQ is not worth it between the UM1 and UM2. I read (surprisingly enough) a pretty good review from a user over at cnet. (of course not by cnet themselves...) You might want to check it out. I believe (s)he did a really nice job.

luke... you're just everywhere arent you?
wink.gif

Aug 17, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #14 of 16
I own the er-6i and i think the bass is fine on them, infact i think the bass is amazing, very clear and deep, not thudding or overbearing. I don't think you will be dissapointed, they were better than i expected them to be for the price.

Aug 17, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #15 of 16
The e2c utilizes a traditional driver whereas the ER6i a balanced armature transducer (bat). The smaller (generally) more expensive bat is what is used in all the high-end IEMs and hearing aids. It goes deeper into the ear canal and gives more isolation. They tend to be faster, ie faster transient attack, but due to their small size are less bass efficient. They need to go deep into the ear canal to isolate a small space in which to ‘load’. This is similar to a 2-way speaker system- the bass may sound good loading a small room, but place it in a large room and the bass will be diminished. Same with the bats. Very good, very fast bass if properly inserted. In fact, your iPod will probably be more a source of poor bass than your phones. Many portable earphones are specifically designed to boost the bass to make up for this deficiency. This generally tends to yield muddy bass. As these are single driver designs, the muddy bass can also affect upper frequencies.

As for the iM716, as mentioned it is arguably a better phone than the ER6i. Besides being more refined, most reviews posted on this site point to better bass. The HD / Bass switch may come in handy for your listening preferences.

Don’t like white? Paint it!

Anyway you go will be better than the in-package freebies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back