ER-4P to S Converter for cheap
May 13, 2011 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Koorosh

New Head-Fier
Hi again,
            I've searched through the archives but I still couldn't find what I'm after. I take it there are cheaper versions of the Etymotic product but I don't know where to look or what to type as a search in Google. The official cable seems very expensive!
Thanks again.

May 13, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 4
check wemakeamp on ebay. i purchased one a couple of weeks ago. fast shipper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Etymotic-ER4P-ER4S-3-5MM-plug-resistor-adaptor-/270732653493?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f08ec73b5#ht_1774wt_1141

this is the exact item/seller.

i don't know who makes lods for your mp3 player. 

May 15, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 4
While you're waiting for that to arrive, try a passive inline volume control, if you already have one. Just dial in the resistance until the ER4P "sees" 75 ohms. You might have to change player's volume to make up for it, but it should sound very similar. Think of it as a variable P-to-S converter. You can actually make your 4P sound somewhere between it and the 4S if you don't go all the way to 75 ohms. Or you can even have the exaggerated 4S sound if you dial past 75 ohms. The technique will work other balanced-armature IEMs, where the added 75 ohms series resistance of the P-to-S adapter colors the sound just too much. I actually prefer the 4P as it is, because the adapter increases the response at 2.5 kHz by about 5-6 dB past neutral. But this might be an interesting experiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back