ER-4P - Huge disappointment (compared to K701)
Feb 15, 2008 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

100+ Head-Fier
The problem probably lays in fact that I've got them simultaneously with K701 - which are amazing! Beyond all my expectations, even unamped - incredible value!

In the same time, following rave reviews, I've purchased ER-4P. Well, standalone they sounded OK (after my CX300), the problem began when I compared them to K701.... It was shockingly huge distance between them (from the same unumplified source).

I'm don't have much experience with headphones, but according to my search, It seems to be that really many head-fi users, think that top of the line IEM will keep up somehow, with top of the line full size phone, and if full sized phone will be used without amplification, even beat it.

K701 sounded much, much better on whole spectrum. More detailed, and in the same time more full sound, better bass (and k701 is known to have very shy bass), but the main thing is that it sounds real, you can close your eyes, and forget that you are wearing headphone - sound come from the outside, and it absolutely real, you can imagine the virtual source...... Not such with ER-4P - it sounds plain, plastic, no depth, no soundstage, artificial, like photography and reality, and you feel that sound come directly from something stuck in your ears.

Probably I did wrong comparison, but taking in account that etymotic's cost in my place little bit more then K701, I expected them to be somehow, at least comparable in SQ, but I was wrong.

The reason for buying ER-4P was that according to many reviewer they probably best IEM for classic music. No other IEM can't reach it's level of details, and presence, even SE530, which was also a candidate. So I was sure that I'm buying best (excluding customs of cause) sounding portable phone for my needs in a price range less $500. I found them sounding very poor for their price.

So, my question is: Is there an IEM that sounds SIGNIFICANT better then ER-4P in terms of details, transparency, reality. I don't care about bass, I want it to be sounding just real. My reference phone for now is K701. Or, may be I expect too much from IEM, and it' unreachable in general??

What about SE530, Weston, etc. I don't need slight improvements over etimotic, only if it' really BIG difference. Etymotics are too far from what I need.

Maybe plastic sound is a nature of all armatures, may be dynamic phones will sound more natural for me?? If yes, what are highest-end dynamic IEM?

Also, do etimotics require burn-in? Did I something wrong?

Feb 15, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #2 of 60
Better - is in the ear of the beholder. Read, try, buy then keep or sell. How else? You've read about 4P and found they're not for you. Since you have 'em, you might as well give 'em a chance. Anyone can recommend anything and you'll have no assurance that you'll like what you hear.

Westone UM2. Not as accurate as Ety. Big sound, pretty sensitive, much bass - not overwhelming, beautiful mids (a little forward), lots of inner detail. Highs considerably rolled off compared to Ety, but still nice. Overall sound is very refined, fatigue-free, buttery smooth. Very comfortable to wear, and cable has no microphonics. Anyway THAT's what I hear, and maybe you'll hear it differently. Who knows? I also like UE super.fi 5 pro. Compared to UM2 isn't as smooth or nearly as refined - treble's more detailed but can be splashy. Bass is good - not overwhelming. Overall sound is more open and lively. I've read (but haven't experienced) that the UE Triple.fi 10 is a significant improvement - probably so... but have spoken to some who don't care for them because of their (supposedly) recessed midrange. BUT this is word-of-mouth and absolutely useless to mention. Honestly... silly but - all of this is just words, and can only serve to point in a direction. There's no substitute for personal experience. Audio 101.

Feb 15, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 60
It could be that you just prefer the sound of full-size cans compared to IEMs, some people say they like the "in the head" sound, others prefer the larger soundstage of full-size.
As for the Ety's, are you getting a good seal? (some of your complaints sound like that might not be the case)
Work with the different tips, and see which ones you like best.

Feb 15, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 60
they are only for certain people, who appreciate detail and uncolouredness.

and they do take a while to get used to.

forget shure if you are after detail, i found them positively muddy and coloured in comparison, ety er4 wont be beaten for detail, especially in its own price bracket.

ety are armatures and they dont need burn in, but your ears and mind will do. also, the seal and placement can effect the ety experience moreso that other IEMS, what tips are you using?

try the foamies not the flanges, and get a good seal, roll them, let them expand in ear for ten seconds, then pull the top of your ear upwards

it is possible you just dont like the ety house sound.

but please give them more than a few days of listening.

and thanks god they are different from the K701, i would be worried if they were the same and you would have bought duplicates
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 60
The ER-4S were my favorite IEM, and one of my alltime favorite head-/ear-phones. I actually found them more resolving in the upper frequencies than the K701 and, overall, shaded more toward neutral then the AKG.

That said, my current and longstanding reference headphones are the RAL re-cabled K701 (actually, my second trial of the K701; my first pair were Moon Silver Dragon re-cabled: another super re-cable, but at that time my amplifier, the non-SLAMM MPX3, wasn't a suitable match).

The RAL/K701 seem to be the most "just right" headphones I've tried to date, but mention of Etymotic ER-4S(P) stirs up many fond and memorable head-fi listening experiences. : )

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 60
Re: ER4P...I say make sure you are getting a good seal. Foamies will provide a less siblant and more natural sound. Give them a week. Only listen to them, no other iem's/cans. If you still don't care for them they might not for you. The lack of a "fullness of sound"/bass sometimes bothers me but it does so much else so well they are hard to disregard.

I'm not familiar with the K701's but I think Triple Fi Pro's can keep up with many headphones.

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #9 of 60
I definitely prefer the er4ps to k701s. I'll agree with the above in that you need to be really careful to make sure you have a good seal.

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #10 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob E. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've read about 4P and found they're not for you.

It's not about "not for me" , or I don't like their specific sound signature - I just feel that they are quite mediocre - it's different.

Thank you for comments on Westones, may be I'll try these.

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #11 of 60
Sorry for your wallet....send me a PM and I'll pay it for a hundred bucks!

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #12 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It could be that you just prefer the sound of full-size cans compared to IEMs, some people say they like the "in the head" sound, others prefer the larger soundstage of full-size.
As for the Ety's, are you getting a good seal? (some of your complaints sound like that might not be the case)
Work with the different tips, and see which ones you like best.

Of cause I hate sound from my head, sound should come from outside, but I hoped, that with good SQ I will get this illusion with IEMs.

I've tried different combination, it doesn't seem to change anything. The best was their standard tip with cut off smallest flange.

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they are only for certain people, who appreciate detail and uncolouredness.

K701 known to be the reference for neutrality (not all will agree with it), and it sound really different, it it has much more bass as well, and, yes, much more details. May be i've got a fake??? I took It from ebay. Is there any fake etimotics out there?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would be worried if they were the same and you would have bought duplicates

I agree, it actually good situation.

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #15 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by lelek45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of cause I hate sound from my head, sound should come from outside, but I hoped, that with good SQ I will get this illusion with IEMs.

I've tried different combination, it doesn't seem to change anything. The best was their standard tip with cut off smallest flange.

How are the foamies?
Those are usually the best when it comes to getting a good fit in my experience.

But since you say the sound is "plastic" and lack of bass, it definitely sounds like you are not getting a good seal.

For IEMs the sound does come from the inside (duh) compared to full size headphones, but on some music they can give the illusion of pretty big soundstage in both height and width (depth less so).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back