ER-4P amp choices - not sure which to choose...
Jan 5, 2009 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

pbcustom98

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all.

I just got a pair of ER-4Ps for xmas along with a 120gb classic iPod. This is going to be used everyday for roughly 5-9 hours a day. (Commute to work, listening at my desk, commute home)

My budget is roughly $350 USD.

I'm trying to decide between a Minibox-e+ (PtoS switch), CORDA 3MOVE, iBasso D2 Boa Silver, practical devices XM5 (PtoS switch), and possibly a pico and I'm not sure which would be best. I know it depends on my ears, but I guess im looking for a good push into a solid amp that I won't be looking to upgrade right away. I would also like to leave some room for upgraditis in my choice of IEMs.

Also, on the ER-4P, is the PtoS adapter required when using an amp, or is it based on what sounds better to me?

I'm not sure I need a DAC (this is used when hooked up to a computer ONLY?) since I will be mainly using this for listening to music on my iPod.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 5, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbcustom98 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all.

I just got a pair of ER-4Ps for xmas along with a 120gb classic iPod. This is going to be used everyday for roughly 5-9 hours a day. (Commute to work, listening at my desk, commute home)

My budget is roughly $350 USD.

I'm trying to decide between a Minibox-e+ (PtoS switch), CORDA 3MOVE, iBasso D2 Boa Silver, practical devices XM5 (PtoS switch), and possibly a pico and I'm not sure which would be best. I know it depends on my ears, but I guess im looking for a good push into a solid amp that I won't be looking to upgrade right away. I would also like to leave some room for upgraditis in my choice of IEMs.

Also, on the ER-4P, is the PtoS adapter required when using an amp, or is it based on what sounds better to me?

I'm not sure I need a DAC (this is used when hooked up to a computer ONLY?) since I will be mainly using this for listening to music on my iPod.

Thanks in advance!

I would choose an amp with a P to S function unless you plan to buy a cable or plug adapter with the resistors. The P to S adapter/cable is not required when using an amp but the ER4P doesn't benefit from an amp nearly as much as the ER4S.

The USB DAC would only be used when the amp is connected to a computer. If you did buy a portable amp/DAC combo you still might enjoy this feature, especially if you have low quality/stock sound card. The difference in SQ here is likely to be substantial.

If you do decide to buy a portable amp for the iPod don't forget to add a line out dock to your budget. Prices for these range greatly.

Jan 5, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 19
I'd look for a Xin supermini - It has a built in P to S adapter and bass boost that is just right for the ER4.

Jan 5, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 19
Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet!

Personally, I prefer the ER4P sound to the ER4S sound, even when amped. A cheap P-S adapter can be picked up on eBay here. Since that adapter can be had for $20, I don't think you should limit yourself to only amps with a built-in P-S adapter, unless you think that they'll be the best sound for your Etys regardless of the increased impedance.

As far as an amp recommendation, I can't recommend the Decware Zen Head highly enough. Even though it is a little lesser known than some of the other amps you were talking about, it has made my Etys sing in a way that is much more satisfying than the only other portable I have tried, the Meier HEADSIX. The synergy between the two is beautiful, I often shake my head in disbelief at how great the sound is. The Zen Head is slightly warm with great bass and fantastic soundstage (it has been described as one of the "tubier" portable amps), and thereby complements the Ety sound very well. The only downside is that the Zen Head is pretty big - if size/weight are a significant concern, then it might not be the amp for you.

Good luck!

Jan 5, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd look for a Xin supermini - It has a built in P to S adapter and bass boost that is just right for the ER4.

That is a good choice if you can find one used otherwise forget about it .

I enjoyed using a Supermini IV with ER4P but the volume wheel was too easy to turn so I used tape to slow its movement. The crosfeed on mine was useless.

Jan 6, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet!

Personally, I prefer the ER4P sound to the ER4S sound, even when amped. A cheap P-S adapter can be picked up on eBay here. Since that adapter can be had for $20, I don't think you should limit yourself to only amps with a built-in P-S adapter, unless you think that they'll be the best sound for your Etys regardless of the increased impedance.

As far as an amp recommendation, I can't recommend the Decware Zen Head highly enough. Even though it is a little lesser known than some of the other amps you were talking about, it has made my Etys sing in a way that is much more satisfying than the only other portable I have tried, the Meier HEADSIX. The synergy between the two is beautiful, I often shake my head in disbelief at how great the sound is. The Zen Head is slightly warm with great bass and fantastic soundstage (it has been described as one of the "tubier" portable amps), and thereby complements the Ety sound very well. The only downside is that the Zen Head is pretty big - if size/weight are a significant concern, then it might not be the amp for you.

Good luck!

I was not planning on limiting myself to only amps with the PtoS switch. I will give the Decware Zen Head a look. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would choose an amp with a P to S function unless you plan to buy a cable or plug adapter with the resistors. The P to S adapter/cable is not required when using an amp but the ER4P doesn't benefit from an amp nearly as much as the ER4S.

The USB DAC would only be used when the amp is connected to a computer. If you did buy a portable amp/DAC combo you still might enjoy this feature, especially if you have low quality/stock sound card. The difference in SQ here is likely to be substantial.

If you do decide to buy a portable amp for the iPod don't forget to add a line out dock to your budget. Prices for these range greatly.

well either way, i was planning on getting something with a PtoS switch, or the PtoS adapter. I might consider getting the dac, but im not sure. my desktop has a HT omega Striker 7.1 sound card, would i benefit from a dac?

Jan 6, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbcustom98 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

well either way, i was planning on getting something with a PtoS switch, or the PtoS adapter. I might consider getting the dac, but im not sure. my desktop has a HT omega Striker 7.1 sound card, would i benefit from a dac?

I honestly don't know much about sound cards. I only know that your costs around $90 because I looked at newegg.
confused.gif
Not much help am I. Someone with actual experience might be able to advise.

Jan 6, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 19
my hornet, and before that my tomahawk, went quite well with my Ety4p. Either can be had used on the f/s forum here. IN fact, right now there's a Supermacro IV LE here that would be ideal, since Xin is supposedly using the Ety to "tune" his amp. Tube-like sound is liked by many on here, much like the sound of the Zen

Jan 6, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #9 of 19
Again this is a repeat, I have posted this before but I will post it again:

For ER-4 (both P and S):

1. SuperMini-IV (ONLY if you can get them used. Buying new is almost hopeless - the wait is over 1 year)
2. Head-Direct There Stones MiniBox-E+ (NOW I highly, highly recommend this for ER-4)

The two above are my personal recommendation because I have used them. Both are utterly stellar driving ER-4P and S and both have the ability to switch to S for an ER-4P. BOTH have superb 6db Bass boost that will intorduce warm balance to the sound.

I simply cannot bear to listen to my ER-4S now without the MiniBox-E+. The asking price of $230 is way too cheap for this underrated amp which can clearly compete with amps that are more than double the price.

(PS: In a day or two I will post a complete review of MiniBox-E+ in this forum)

Other than that, other ER-4 users have highly recommended these:
- Lisa III (probably the best on planet earth if you have $600 to spend)
- Practical Device XM5 (Greatdane uses this, and it have PtoS, Bass Boost)
- TTVJ Portable Millet (Tubey + ER-4 = BLISS)
- Meier Corda Move (all versions)
- Decware Zen Head
- Pico (Greatdane uses this as well)

The cheaper alternative:
- PA2V2 off eBay (by Gary, this amp is warm and punchy by default)
- FiiO (have bass boost)

Avoid:
- Bright sounding amps

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #10 of 19
Thank you all for the help.

@ EFN: Will the Minibox-E+ sound good with other IEMs?

If I ever get a set of cans, they will be used with a desktop setup, since I wouldn't use them to travel with.

Thanks again!

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #11 of 19
I really liked both the SR71 and the supermacro v1 and v3 with ER4Ps and ER4P w/ P to S cable. I currently use iM616s with a cheap amp from head-direct and am pretty happy with it as well. A lot of what is worth it depends on how you plan on using the IEMs, in what environment, etc.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really liked both the SR71 and the supermacro v1 and v3 with ER4Ps and ER4P w/ P to S cable. I currently use iM616s with a cheap amp from head-direct and am pretty happy with it as well. A lot of what is worth it depends on how you plan on using the IEMs, in what environment, etc.

Well, my commute is roughly 1.5 hours each way, on a crowded NYC subway/NYC Bus. Then I will be using it at my desk at work (usually very, very quiet).

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #13 of 19
You might want to look into a pico then. You get the portable amp for the commute part, and then once you're in your office you get the advantage of that awesome dac. Assuming your budget will stretch to fit
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to look into a pico then. You get the portable amp for the commute part, and then once you're in your office you get the advantage of that awesome dac. Assuming your budget will stretch to fit
smily_headphones1.gif

I dont mind spending the extra money for quality. the DAC is just connected via USB, then the headphones into the amp part of the pico? Do i need external sound cards and everything else, or am I good to go with just the pico/usb adapter?

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #15 of 19
The pico will replace the soundcard. It's basically a usb soundcard built into the amp.

Then you use a mini to mini to hook up whatever you're listening with on your commute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back