Eq which freq ranges to remove Mid Bass Hump and increase oomph feeling ?
Dec 12, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #16 of 20

Hi Damon 88! I am very experienced and I can help you. Read my article below how to archive "perfect" bass on IEMs.

All players and headphones are deficient in pitch and harmony. Plus, the sound engineers master their final songs assuming that most people will use EQ, for example, IN ROCK POSITION ON IPOD or V-Shaped or U-shaped (bass and treble gain) in receivers etc. Through the times, they create songs with these kind of EQ in mind. So equalizers are necessary to correct the pitch tones, no matter how expansive your equipment costs.

All MP3 players and DAPS are deficient in SUB BASS VOLUME and in many other frequencies, no matter the AMP YOU USE. The sound will never be LIFE LIKE WITHOUT EQ.

The FIRST TECHNIQUE is to increase Sub Bass Frequencies. Use Cowon Players for example. Pick The 50Hz Band, increase to at about +6DB. Then, begin LOWERING the mid bass and mid frequencies. Then, increase the HIGHS and INCREASE THE VOLUME. The more contrast you have between SUB-BASS (50hz) AND MID-HIGH-BASS (200hz) , the more life like bass you get.

Trust you ears to shape the sound as you like or as you think it is closer to what is heard on a live show. The more you play with the bands, the more experienced you become and easier it gets.

It is an ART and a Hobby that can make your sound TRUE TO THE ORIGINAL, AS THE ARTIST WANTS and everybody wants too :) It is going to be like a CONCERT HALL AND A SOUND STUDIO IN YOUR EARS !!!

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #17 of 20
Can someone post a picture of the frequency graph when Sony clear bass is set to +1 and +3?

I forgot which frequency is boosted and which area is reduced.

I'm thinking the boost is centered at 50Hz and around 100Hz is lowered. I can't remember.

Nov 5, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #18 of 20
Can someone post a picture of the frequency graph when Sony clear bass is set to +1 and +3?

I forgot which frequency is boosted and which area is reduced.

I'm thinking the boost is centered at 50Hz and around 100Hz is lowered. I can't remember.
the last I've measured was my A15 and I believe each step was a boost of about +3dB. I can't seem to find that measurement, but it wouldn't take too long to just upload some noise on the DAP and make a screenshot of a RTA with the EQ turned ON. I'm just not sure that sony has kept the very same bass boost over the years on their various models.
so if you're confident it will be the same or if you happen to be happy with the EQ curve of the A15, I can do that for science and to save Narnia. if you want to be sure about the curve of another specific model, someone else will have to pitch in.

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #19 of 20
the last I've measured was my A15 and I believe each step was a boost of about +3dB. I can't seem to find that measurement, but it wouldn't take too long to just upload some noise on the DAP and make a screenshot of a RTA with the EQ turned ON. I'm just not sure that sony has kept the very same bass boost over the years on their various models.
so if you're confident it will be the same or if you happen to be happy with the EQ curve of the A15, I can do that for science and to save Narnia. if you want to be sure about the curve of another specific model, someone else will have to pitch in.
Yes please may you upload the measurements.
Thank you.

Nov 6, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #20 of 20
Yes please may you upload the measurements.
Thank you.
click the graph and it grows!!! I'm a magician!!!! ^_^
a15 clear bass.jpg
I used a recorded sweep in REW instead of noise, so the look isn't an abuse of smoothing on the graph to make it look pretty. so it hopefully gives the accurate values of changing the clear bass setting. seems that I was wrong about the +3dB per step, it's more like +4dB. my bad.

the peak is centered at about 56hz, but if you plan to simulate this curve including the recess part with 2 EQ points, then of course as they interact with each other, you will have to use slightly higher frequency for the boost and maybe something closer to 200hz for the negative EQ(and bigger gain too). but this should become readily visible if you use a parametric EQ that shows the resulting curve.
I hope this is indeed the EQ you're looking for and that you find a simple way to implement it wherever you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back