EQ/Tone controls

Do you have the facility and do you use it?

• A lot

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Never

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • I don't have EQ/tone controls.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Feb 12, 2024 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

drummerman1

100+ Head-Fier
Do you use Roon or a similar platform with DSP/EQ options? Perhaps your amplifier/DAC has tone controls. Do you use them or do you prefer the pure, un-adulterated, baby faced sound of your sources and headphones?

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #2 of 45
I generally prefer headphones that sound the way I like right off the rack, and I do have more than a few of those. But I also have plenty of love for some headphones that I only liked before EQ. I think it has its limitations; for instance it can't transform a headphone you hate into a headphone you love. But if you're starting with a headphone you already like, there's the possibility that some EQ can elevate it to that next step up for you. The Monoprice M1570, both open and closed versions, come to mind as headphones that are only okay off the rack, but slap on the oratory1990 EQ and they're gorgeous beasts.

I use Peace and EQAPO when possible for some laser-like tone adjustment. But at the office, for instance, I don't have admin privileges to install Peace on my work PC, so I was using a Schiit Loki for a while to dial in a bass bump, now I have an iFi iDSD Sig Finale and I use its XBass switch for that instead. I enjoy both solutions.

When turning it on and off is as easy as flipping a switch and it's completely non-destructive to files or hardware, there's no reason not to at least try it and see if you like it. And if you like it, no reason not to use it.

Feb 12, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #3 of 45
I'm constantly adjusting and re-strategizing my EQ settings. As I learn more about EQ, how different headphones respond to EQ, and my own preferences, I continue trying new ways of EQing. Some headphones benefit greatly from EQ. Some don't. Some headphones like very minor adjustments. Some love major tweaks.

But I also sometimes listen to headphones without EQ. Sometimes I want a reminder of the core sound of a headphone. Or when I get a new pair, I want to spend some time learning how it sounds stock before I start tweaking it.

Feb 12, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 45
All the time - PEQ. Tone controls and fixed freq EQ are very coarse ways to make adjustments and I don't recommend using them unless there is no other choice.

Feb 13, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 45
I use EQ all the time. In particular two forms of EQ.

1. The built in "loudness" function of my T+A PA 2000R, which is a variable bass and treble boost in relation to the overall volume. (the lower the volume the bigger the EQ to counter the fletcher munson effect)

2. Roon DSP - Convolution filters. I measure and create convolution filters for my headphones if there is something I want to adjust. I.e. the Spirit Torino Pulsar has a massive subbass rolloff, which I eq to a flat extension with convolution filters. From my experience the filters are the cleanest way to apply EQ with the least side effects.

Feb 13, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 45
I love using the tone controls/ PEQ of RME for my LCD-X. Great for quick adjustments on a song to song basis if a song is lacking bass. On Atrium I find the tuning to be so spot on I rarely use it.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #8 of 45
I bump up mostly the lower/sub bass of my HD600 and then cut back some of the mid and upper bass to clear up the perceived "mud" caused by the bass boost and to keep the overall bass levels more similar to what they have without the EQ.

Feb 13, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #9 of 45
I never bothered with EQ, then I got into Equalizer APO, at first I was manually downloading EQ profiles from Github, then I switched to this:
https://autoeq.app/

Some headphones really come to life with EQ, like my old Arya V2 (RIP), EQ lets you radically change how they sound.

My RME ADI-2 has EQ as well but I prefer the fine grain control of Equalizer APO. I use the bass boost in the RME tho.

Feb 17, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 45
There's only so much you can do with physical tuning in regards to bass, EQ is almost a must if you really want the fattest bass while keeping general listening volume to a reasonable level. If I'm using it anyways, might as well tweak the treble and mids while I'm at it. And add a neutral profile for songs that don't benefit from a bass boost.

Mar 1, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #12 of 45
Another way to divide the head-fi population: those who EQ by measurements vs those who EQ by ear.

I've long EQed my headphones by relying on measurement-based profiles (like those on AutoEQ), but I just recently started trying my hand at EQing by ear using a handful of methods in combination--but relying heavily on the Peace GUI's "Test" feature. So far, the results are very promising. Some of my headphones have found totally new life.

I'm super fascinated by EQ and different philosophies of EQing. So many ways to do it.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #13 of 45
Always when I'm at home via APO/peace. I'm not trying to recreate an HE-1 with my own cans; just adjusting the sound to fit my own HRTF with cuts.

The latest rabbit hole I'm trying to wrap my head around is hesuvi, but even just setting it up is kind of a pain.

Mar 2, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #14 of 45
I've used EQ, of some form, with all my headphones for about the last 10 years. I started experimenting with analog 31-band graphic equalizers. Then switched to an analog mixer with bass, mid and treble controls. Then digital 10-band GEQs on my PC. And I currently use EAPO's Configuration Editor.

I wish I did not have to use EQ. But it is a necessary evil imo with most headphones, unless you're very good at doing physical mods (which I've also tried a little bit).

And I also prefer using analog EQ to digital, because the latter has the potential to alter phase. I use digital at the moment though because I need its better precision for my current headphones.

I have also tried AutoEQ and other presets (usually based on the Harman target, or some facsimile), and have found most to be lacking to my ears. So I develop my own EQ settings from analyzing other's measurements, and from my own listening tests.

I tend to get the best results though by comparing the FR of my headphones to the responses of other good sounding headphones. And making my adjustments based on that.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #15 of 45
Some headphones like very minor adjustments. Some love major tweaks.

I'm not a fan of doing major tweaks. And don't think it works all that well with my headphones. I prefer headphones that are pretty close to the response I want, which require only minor tweaks. That seems to give me the best results. YMMV though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back