EQ Settings for 700+ Headphones
Jan 15, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #151 of 165
The "sound" of a headphone is its deviation from neutral and this in AutoEq can be seen in the red error curve. Sound signature picks up the error data from CSV and adds that to the compensation. So you use the headphones you have as input, the headphones you wish to imitate as sound signature and use a normal compensation (Harman target). The bass needs to match whatever was in the results of the headphone you're simulating. This scheme allows you to simulate headphones measured on a different rig, although the usual disclaimer of rigs aren't compatible and you can transform measurements made with one to another still apply. If both measurements have been made with compatible rigs, then you could simply use these headphone you wish to imitate as the compensation.
Thanks for explaining :)

For the graphs that are generated, is the "equalized" graph for when the convolution filter is applied or for when the parametric eq is applied?
I'd expect differing accuracy between those two. (And for fixed eq I'd expect even more deviation from the target graph)
From my tries till now the eq graph nearly always perfectly matches the target graph.(until the treble region)I guess this is only reachable with the convolution filter.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #152 of 165
Thanks for explaining :)

For the graphs that are generated, is the "equalized" graph for when the convolution filter is applied or for when the parametric eq is applied?
I'd expect differing accuracy between those two. (And for fixed eq I'd expect even more deviation from the target graph)
From my tries till now the eq graph nearly always perfectly matches the target graph.(until the treble region)I guess this is only reachable with the convolution filter.
It's not exactly any of them but with an ideal equalizer. Convolution comes very very close thogh so you can think of it as with convolution eq

Jan 15, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #153 of 165
It's not exactly any of them but with an ideal equalizer. Convolution comes very very close thogh so you can think of it as with convolution
Thank you.

Would it be possible to add an additional graph that shows the results with the parametric EQ filters applied?

If you don't mind a few additional questions.
The Parameter "window-size".
What exactly does it do?
I can see that the raw and error smoothed graphs turn out more smoothed, but everything else remains the same.

Jan 17, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #154 of 165
Thank you.

Would it be possible to add an additional graph that shows the results with the parametric EQ filters applied?

If you don't mind a few additional questions.
The Parameter "window-size".
What exactly does it do?
I can see that the raw and error smoothed graphs turn out more smoothed, but everything else remains the same.
I won't be adding more curves to the existing graphs but there is a proper solution for this that I'm working on. Window size is the smoothing window size and affects how smooth the smoothed curves are. This does affect equalizer frequency response, but indirectly.

Jan 17, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #155 of 165
I won't be adding more curves to the existing graphs but there is a proper solution for this that I'm working on. Window size is the smoothing window size and affects how smooth the smoothed curves are. This does affect equalizer frequency response, but indirectly.
Which solution are you working on.

Guess I could do it manually until then and add the raw and parametric eq values to get the EQ'ed resultgraph.

Jan 17, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #156 of 165
Which solution are you working on.

Guess I could do it manually until then and add the raw and parametric eq values to get the EQ'ed resultgraph.
I'll announce it when the time comes...

Jan 17, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #157 of 165
Jan 25, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #158 of 165
Are Measurements created by Jude compatible with harman curve as compensation?
i.e. can I use webplot digitizer for
Expanse Frequency Response.PNG

and then use it directly with AutoEQ or do I need some more conversion? (offset or something?)

Feb 11, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #159 of 165
So I have my setup up and running now.
Made an old Laptop fit for All my AutoEQ, measurement and Impulcifer shenanigans.

I measured my own Elite and Empyrean with binaural microphones and REW. Then I used those measurements for AutoEQ.
The results are impressive. After EQ the Elite is so close to the Empyrean that I probably wouldn't pass a blindtest anymore.
The Empyrean might have slower decay still, but I might be fooling myself here.

The results with my own measurements are even better than with using Oratory1990s measurements for AutoEQ.
(Probably since it removes unit variation from the equation?)

I had the easiest scenario tho. Two headphones with identical shape and identical earpads (both Alcantara for this test)

Next I will measure different earpads and try to get close to each other and after that different headphones alltogether.

The only issue with measuring with binaural microphones is, that the measurements are not compareable between Sessions and I have to measure everything relevant in one go. (You never get the mics inside the ear exactly the same way)

Feb 18, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #160 of 165
Have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50x + Brainwavz oval velour pads (the original were pure crap - quality wise / probably around 3$ production costs - since they're the same quality as the ones you find on cheap headsets selling for 15$ - yet they sale for 25$). Have Equalizer APO 1.3 installed - properly configured for the Realtek drivers (point being - seems to work as intended). And yes, it's the integrated sound-card - not using any external DAC or other sound source. I tried each of the available presets:

And, well... obviously there is a noticeable difference - BUT.... doesn't sound better. Turning Off the preset is actually what improves the sound (basically, sounds better without any of above presets). Now, i was thinking... that i might need some time to accommodate. So, i spent couple of days listening to music - while shifting between presents for each song. But then, after couple of days - while turning off the presets - all the details started popping. Details that get muffled or distorted while using above presets - thus, limiting the actual potential of this headset.

That being said... the only logical conclusion i could think of - for ATH-M50x to show any improvement - while using above presets: This presets were/are not meant for a laptop with integrated sound-card but... the specific audio source used - while making the preset. So, unless i have exactly the same equipment - my experience could actually be worse (as proven) - than using the default?!
:thinking:

Feb 18, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #161 of 165
Have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50x + Brainwavz oval velour pads (the original were pure crap - quality wise / probably around 3$ production costs - since they're the same quality as the ones you find on cheap headsets selling for 15$ - yet they sale for 25$). Have Equalizer APO 1.3 installed - properly configured for the Realtek drivers (point being - seems to work as intended). And yes, it's the integrated sound-card - not using any external DAC or other sound source. I tried each of the available presets:

And, well... obviously there is a noticeable difference - BUT.... doesn't sound better. Turning Off the preset is actually what improves the sound (basically, sounds better without any of above presets). Now, i was thinking... that i might need some time to accommodate. So, i spent couple of days listening to music - while shifting between presents for each song. But then, after couple of days - while turning off the presets - all the details started popping. Details that get muffled or distorted while using above presets - thus, limiting the actual potential of this headset.

That being said... the only logical conclusion i could think of - for ATH-M50x to show any improvement - while using above presets: This presets were/are not meant for a laptop with integrated sound-card but... the specific audio source used - while making the preset. So, unless i have exactly the same equipment - my experience could actually be worse (as proven) - than using the default?!
:thinking:
You say you are not using the original earpads? The earpads have a tremendous impact on the frequency response of a headphone and so you can't use eq settings made based on measurements done with the original earpads.

Feb 18, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #162 of 165
You say you are not using the original earpads? The earpads have a tremendous impact on the frequency response of a headphone and so you can't use eq settings made based on measurements done with the original earpads.
No, they degraded in such a way - that i'm discouraged to ever spend money on ATH's own pads (not 25$ at least- if they were 5$ max, sure... that price would have been fair for that level of quality). So i went with what was suppose to be the next best thing (most sold pads for ATH M50x - https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Velor-Replacements-Ear-Pads/dp/B00MFDX4YO). Bought both versions from Brainwavz - but the faux leather one started degrading (not like ATH - but still). Thus, i also tried Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (Massdrop velours earpads) and also Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (Dekoni sheepskin earpads) . But still sounds better with this presets off.

Weren't the tests made on a specific DAC or some expensive sound card? I mean, are the results truly replicable - on a laptop with an integrated Realtek chip?! O.o

Feb 18, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #163 of 165
No, they degraded in such a way - that i'm discouraged to ever spend money on ATH's own pads (not 25$ at least- if they were 5$ max, sure... that price would have been fair for that level of quality). So i went with what was suppose to be the next best thing (most sold pads for ATH M50x - https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Velor-Replacements-Ear-Pads/dp/B00MFDX4YO). Bought both versions from Brainwavz - but the faux leather one started degrading (not like ATH - but still). Thus, i also tried Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (Massdrop velours earpads) and also Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (Dekoni sheepskin earpads) . But still sounds better with this presets off.

Weren't the tests made on a specific DAC or some expensive sound card? I mean, are the results truly replicable - on a laptop with an integrated Realtek chip?! O.o
The DAC and amp don't affect the sound unless they're broken.

Feb 18, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #164 of 165
The DAC and amp don't affect the sound unless they're broken.
Fair enough, so - you're saying they were broken?! :dt880smile:

As can be seen on Amazon there's thousands of people (over 10k based on reviews alone) - who Brainwavz pads as replacement for ATH M50x (and many other headsets - some can be found even in your list). Do you happen to know - if this combination will be added to the list? I mean, seeing that it's such a huge list - i take it the ones in question didn't have direct access to each and everyone of those headphones. So... how does one submit a profile for testing - for a preset to be made? What's the exact process?! I'm a real newbie about this stuff - i give you that - but with appropriate directions/guideline - i's be whiling to create a sample - for a preset to be made for this combo of heatphones + pad. Or so i need some special equipment/software to create such sample?

Feb 19, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #165 of 165
Fair enough, so - you're saying they were broken?! :dt880smile:

As can be seen on Amazon there's thousands of people (over 10k based on reviews alone) - who Brainwavz pads as replacement for ATH M50x (and many other headsets - some can be found even in your list). Do you happen to know - if this combination will be added to the list? I mean, seeing that it's such a huge list - i take it the ones in question didn't have direct access to each and everyone of those headphones. So... how does one submit a profile for testing - for a preset to be made? What's the exact process?! I'm a real newbie about this stuff - i give you that - but with appropriate directions/guideline - i's be whiling to create a sample - for a preset to be made for this combo of heatphones + pad. Or so i need some special equipment/software to create such sample?
The profiles are based on frequency response measurements. You can't do those realistically yourself. /u/oratory1990 in Reddit has been measuring (at least in the past) headphones people send to him so you could contact him to ask if he'd be willing to measure your pair with the pads you have. You'd have to ship your headphones to Austria though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back