EQ on a Audio Receiver with Headphones
Sep 5, 2012 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

s4yJaiPau

New Head-Fier
So I have a Pioneer receiver hooked up to my desktop to listen to music.  It is one of those home theater receivers but I don't use that anymore.  From my PC soundcard, I connected the 1/8th to RCA on the Pioneer Receiver.  I plug in my ATH-M50s to the headphones joke to listen to music.  (i have been told this somewhat enhances audio.  Please correct me if I am wrong.)  There are two EQ knobs: treble and bass. if I turn the bass knob all the way up, or treble all the way up, will it damage the headphones?

Sep 5, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 5
No it shouldn't damage it. I also had a similar very old school one whit similar knobs but this unit didn't sound overly great though to my ears. :p

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
So I have a Pioneer receiver hooked up to my desktop to listen to music.  It is one of those home theater receivers but I don't use that anymore.  From my PC soundcard, I connected the 1/8th to RCA on the Pioneer Receiver.  I plug in my ATH-M50s to the headphones joke to listen to music.  (i have been told this somewhat enhances audio.  Please correct me if I am wrong.)  There are two EQ knobs: treble and bass. if I turn the bass knob all the way up, or treble all the way up, will it damage the headphones?

Heya,

Nope. It's going to be fine.

You basically cannot damage your headphones unless your equipment is faulty in a serious way.

Are you going from sound card -> analog -> receiver? Try and get a digital signal out to that receiver, via optical or spdiff or something. Try to avoid analog (likely slightly amplified) to analog (amplified from receiver).

Very best,

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 5
Sup MalVeauX,

so my setup is

Computer Soundcard (the 1/8th output on the back panel of the motherboard) > Pioneer Receiver> ATH- M50s.

i just wanted to see if it would make a difference, and I could somewhat say the signal was more "full" than listening to an ipod or regular computer input.

What do you think about Asus Xonar Essence ST and Beyer Dynamic DT 990 600Ohms combo?

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
No it shouldn't damage it. I also had a similar very old school one whit similar knobs but this unit didn't sound overly great though to my ears. :p

I have a Pioneer VSX-403.  When nothing is playing, and I can hear VERY little hum. If i turn it up all the way, I hear more hum, but it;s not like im going to blast out my headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back