EQ away AKG K702s shortcomings.
Oct 29, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:
I never understood what's wrong with equalizing, I don't feel the slightest of guilt using the bass boost of FiiO E7 at level 2 (on the range 0-3) on my AKG K 272 HD, because it completely changes the way some songs sound and I don't see any significant quality decrease. Audio and more importantly music should be about subjective enjoyment, nobody argues about their music taste being superior to someone elses, so why would you have to denounce another persons taste in audio? There's no accuracy in subjectiveness.

Exactly my point! What's wrong in my opinion is that people listen to sound instead of the music itself too much. When I EQ'd the K272s, it basically ruined what the phones are good at: truthful musicality ie. (in my opinion) the ability to discern pitches of notes and natural transients and timing. May sound blah blah to some, but if you're interested in the musical message of a song, very important.

I don't argue about ones music taste being superior to someone else. But you can't argue that many of today's music is awfully monotonic and seriously lacks musicality and ideas. Even modern jazz.

Yes it's all subjective. That's pretty much what I covered right away. People perceive music differently. I also said that I don't mind coloration, but if that coloration stands in the way of hearing the pitch of a note accurately, then it sucks. I find it hard to follow music with beyerdynamics. T1 has monotonic bass that's not able to distinguish pitches of notes. One-note bass.

This is objective though. If one says he can hear bass-lines with T1 (for instance) as good as with 701/2, doesn't simply understand the basic fundamental of music: it's constructed of notes. Music can be simple and monotonic too, like today's pop music. Then it really doesn't matter what kind of gear you use. Usually bass prominence is what satisfies people. If you like jazz or multi track "over-produced" progressive music, or something, and you're using a pair of beyerdynamics, you don't know what you're missing. Really!
Today I listened to some Mahavishnu Orchestra and I really hadn't given Rick Laird any credit before until now that I heard Lost Trident Sessions again this time with the K272s. Amazing musicality that guy has! You can hear all the slides he makes from note to note (and the notes themselves). Their music opened up to me for the first time as controlled chaos as opposed to just fast playing chaos. With my previous gear Laird was just the typical one-note bass guy filling in...
Also hearing George Duke play is very thrilling. He makes mistakes like moving to another key but saves it beautifully by his methods of improvising (one should study, amazing). All of this I didn't hear before either!

I think my point is clear and I'm not trying to argue as people get different kicks out of music. I just think people are missing out on a LOT generally.
If one makes a statement that "pitch doesn't vary" or "musicality IS coloration", I suggest you listen to some melody rich music and compare AKGs to Beyers and tell me what you're hearing. There are many factors that frequency response and transient response don't quite cover. If you highlight one part of the frequency response, it most likely smears others and makes the presentation easily monotonic. I can't remember what this phenomenon is called though...

Oct 29, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #17 of 19

Quote:
The most ridiculous statement on this thread.
rolleyes.gif

Because you're a bass-head?

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #19 of 19
Okay I underestimate the influence of modern music. My point with that 95% comment was just to point out how little musical information both extreme ends of the frequency response have. I want to hear the bass (instrument) for instance instead of feel it. I want to hear the notes, not feel the PA-system... Sigh, nevermind. Here's something to look at: http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Oh, and 'plasticky' is not a word, at least to be used as an adjective to characterize music reproduction. I don't say Grado SR325i's sound golden or HD800s metallic. Heh, people are so gullible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back