EPA-007x headphone amplifier – Phasemation (Japan)
Jul 27, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #16 of 22
The principle mentioned in Innerfidelity article applies to the EPA-007/X's Impedance switch options. It has nothing to do with the Damping knob of the EPA-007/X, which control the nwgative feedback of the amp circuit.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #17 of 22
That's correct, hence my saying "of headphones" specifically. The interesting takeaway from the article is that the 32ohm AKG K420 behaved the best with an output impedance of 88ohm (albeit this is only looking at response at 5kHz) so applying the 1/8th rule, or in our case following manufacturer recommended output impedance settings for the EPA-007, may not give you best results.

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #19 of 22
*Abbreviated text posted: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-...edance-damping-controls.867632/#post-14027025

Got it, thanks to yaluen!

First impressions coming from not having an amplifier: many small improvements such as blacker blacks, authority, demasked clarity and more low end. I never expected my lessened hearing would perceive a difference, it's subtle but significant.

Smooth potentiometer (ALPS blue velvet), I can do perfectly fine adjustments on just one-fifth of practicable volume range. (Sensitive) Grados plugged in, the amp is hiss-free for at least two times that range; find me relieved!

Brushed finish aluminum, the knobs are powder finished. On/off rocker is next to the power socket on the back, a negative.

Through my low impedance sensitive headphones, my unit adds a faint, volume-independent buzz on HIGH–GAIN mode. Interconnects on or off, I tried different outlets to no avail (it's probably stemming from the amp, unless my 120 to 100V power converter is faulty; *NEITHER, Yaluen also experienced it on the EPA-007x). Mostly inaudible while music is playing and inexistent on LOW-GAIN, and probably a non-issue with less sensitive headphones (but I can't confirm).

[Impedance compensation feature]

From the manual:
0 = off*
LOW = headphones with 200 ohms or less
MID = with 200 to 500 ohms
HIGH = 500 ohms or more
(indicative values, experimenting encouraged)

*The manual states the “0” position nullifies the sound adjustments otherwise permitted by the “DAMP” deemer, but contrary to that I find it still has some effect but minimized.

This amplifier's volume can only be lowered to mere, but not zero.

*following text was replaced by: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/epa-007x-headphone-amplifier-–-phasemation-japan.612433/page-2#post-14010211

- Pushing up the IMPEDANCE stepped knob (from “0” to HIGH) seems to diminish damping (“expending” sound). On HIGH, SOFT DAMP sounds more “glassy” (regarding highs) and HARD more “boomy” (regarding lows).
- Pushing down seems to provide more “breaking force” damping (“focusing” sound). LOW and “0” settings are much less dramatic, they sound just like my headphone, no matter SOFT or HARD.

The sound while the DAMP knob in the middle (there isn't a notched position holding the position) is also changed by the IMPEDANCE switch position.

For a given step on the IMPEDANCE knob and as a general rule, SOFT seems to lessen damping and loosen sound, while HARD would increase and tighten them respectively. I like to think of SOFT as “Wet” (sounding) and of HARD as “Dry”. Wet seems to exacerbate the signature of your headphone through its impedance curve (in my case it overshoots the upper midrange), while Dry chokes it (flattening the spectrum). It either parodize or neutralize your headphone's personality.

So far I prefer DAMP all the way on HARD and IMPEDANCE on HIGH.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #20 of 22
Here is a link to the EPA-007 user's manual in Japanese: http://phasemation.jp/img/pdf/EPA-007_manual.pdf

It is handy for those who has lost the little printed manual or without one when buying the amp used.

Inside there is a wiring diagram for dual mono TRS plugs.

Jan 30, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #21 of 22
I think I finally figured out my EPA-007 amplifier...

"Impedance" is a 4-stepped (0; soft; mid; high) knob acting on frequency response. 0 is stock headphone sound. Incrementing up will "break the back" of my HP 1000's n-shaped curve, making it more linear and most balanced at "mid" while overshooting slightly to a u-shape on "high". From there I am tempted to extrapolate that, in the case of an already u-shaped phone, the function might work the other way around, whereby incrementing up would "raise the valley-like" signatures towards their neutralization.

"Damp" is a continuous (soft <-- [...] --> hard) dial pertaining to CSD plots (cumulative spectral decay). The left side "soft" dampening is like a flaw-revealing, driver-exciting "microscope mode" corresponding to more detail / resolution / analysis / sharpness & contrast. Oppositely, right side "hard" dampening acts like an ear-protecting, diaphragm-sparing "high volume mode" translating into more decay / euphony / simplicity / fullness & comfort.

Basically...

"Impedance" knob is a set-and-forget thing for taming phone signatures ("0" is pass-through). I use it to compensate for the old age of my Grado, shut the (sometimes shouty) vocals down and make songs more instrumental, providing much desired non-equalizer extension

"Damp" dial, in the center *where there is no notch* achieves a somewhat 50~50 balance of [100~0] "soft" & "hard" [0~100] for a more authentic EPA-007 sound, and when gradually rotated left or right, respectively:
- "squaring corners", emphasizing: make speech more intelligible, attest sound quality or zoom onto content as in studio work; microdynamics
- "corners rounding", averaging: relegate music to background attention when reading or tasking (less distraction), afford more volume per fatigue in marathons, and do sheer volume "maxing"; macrodynamics.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #22 of 22

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-2_12-15-40.png
    upload_2018-2-2_12-15-40.png
    465.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back