Entry level phones + Entry Leven pocket amp, or just phones?
Mar 13, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #16 of 36
'mmm many people love the ath-es7 and I saw that on the list you where considering. Those where my first set of nice headphones and they sound pretty nice. They are portable as well and don't leak a lot.

Mar 13, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #17 of 36
how do they compare against Yuin PK1 un-amped? Or Super fi 5 Pro? Or [And this is the last Or for this message lol] Etymotic ER4-P?

Right now this is my option list, which in the ES7 is the last prefferable due to the size:

[The locationes doesnt neccesarily point on whom do I preffer most cus i never tried any of them]

1. PK1
2. Etymotic ER6
3. ER4-P
4. ES7
5.Super Fi 5 Pro

Thanks.

Mar 14, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #18 of 36
Umm.. since this dropped to page 4 and I still haven't made up my mind completley, I'm bumping this.

Thanks.

Mar 14, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #19 of 36
I've had my ER4P/S since before I found head-fi and still use them near daily. They don't require an amp and sound good right from the headphone out of an ipod. It took me quite a few tips to find the seal I liked for sq while keeping comfort (settled on the baby blue flanges for smaller ear canals, though I liked the Shure olives). I don't know any Ety users that have been anything but happy, unless they're total bassheads. You can start with the ER4Ps, get a selection of tips to try and see how you like them, then get an S cable and an amp down the line.

Mar 14, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #20 of 36
I have to give a big thumbs up on the Etymotic ER4-P IEMS. I've had mine for about 2 weeks now and love them. I find the bass to be very solid, but not at all overwhelming. The only downside to them is that I can't use them at work because they isolate TOO well, and it irritates my co-workers to have to keep repeating everything or throwing something at me to get my attention when the phone is for me.

I'm running them unamped (for now) through an iPod Classic. I still can't decide if I like the foam tips or the flange tips though....

I'm also planning on following the S cable and amp path before too long.... not because I'm unhappy with the sound I have now, but because I just HAVE to see what's around the next sonic corner......

Mar 14, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by P.F. Jo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do they compare against Yuin PK1 un-amped? Or Super fi 5 Pro? Or Etymotic ER4-P?

Right now this is my option list, of which the ES7 is the least suitable due to the size:

1. PK1
2. Etymotic ER6
3. ER4-P
4. ES7
5.Super Fi 5 Pro

Thanks.

First, with a budget of $120, forget the amp for now, unless your portable player is a particularly weak one, like a sony or some ipods. The money will simply go further on the headphone side. What exactly is it that you're using?

Second, forget the PK1 (it's open) and the ES7 (don't talk yourself into full-size when you obviously really want a canalphone)

Third, your lack of interest in powerful bass means that armatures may be a better fit for you than are dynamic drivers. The ER-4P, SF5, E4, SE210, UM1, Q-Jays, and im716 would be standard choices in this realm. If you wanted to consider dynamics at that price, think of the Kenwood C711, Denon C700, JVC FX500 if you can find them, Klipsch Custom 1, or maybe an Atrio.

Of these options, based on what you've said, I'd drop the SF5, UM1, and ety derivatives (weaker sound for the first two and too hard to drive unamped for the last two). That leaves the Shures, the Jays, and the dynamic options if you want to go that route.

Mar 14, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #22 of 36
edit: nvm i understood on my own haha..

Fankly I slightly preffer earbuds over canals cus last canals i had [though fake i suspect] some creative ep something, gave me headaches... lol

hmm why do you think the er4p aren't good enough for me? :x

btw the player is creative zvm
Thanks

Mar 14, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #23 of 36
This is an interesting topic for me also (i'm kinda in the same boat - deciding on headphone and amp for first time). At what point on the budget scale is moving towards an amp+headphone a better value than just a headphone? This is my guess from reading these boards for the last 2 months:

$150 - probably just headphones.
$200 - maybe $150 headphone + $50 amp (both used probably)
$250 - ? tough decision to make here.
$300 - $200 headphone + $100 amp seems to be a good start.

Anyway, good luck on your search.

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by P.F. Jo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit: nvm i understood on my own haha..

Fankly I slightly preffer earbuds over canals cus last canals i had [though fake i suspect] some creative ep something, gave me headaches... lol

hmm why do you think the er4p aren't good enough for me? :x

btw the player is creative zvm
Thanks

there are no closed earbuds, which would seem to make them no good for you, unless the degree of openness in other earbuds you've had was alright, in which case get the PK2 and be done with it. Also, take Boomana's word on the ER4p over mine, I only have the im716 version, which needs either an amp or at least a player more powerful than a zen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by entp24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is an interesting topic for me also (i'm kinda in the same boat - deciding on headphone and amp for first time). At what point on the budget scale is moving towards an amp+headphone a better value than just a headphone?

The balance should be judged on whether it will be portable headphones or earphones. For headphones, good portable options top out at $150 or so. Any more is just icing (woodies, for instance), and not really a major performance jump, so the money above $100 or 150 (depending on your choice) would be better spent on an amp. With earphones, there are more options and a wider range of choices might make sense. There are some very good choices under $100, some of which would really mate well with an amp, and there are other choices for much more money that might do very well without dedicated amping.

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #25 of 36
from my experiences, until you think you can spend >$200 on an amp (and as much money on a source), just stick with getting better headphones for now. with most portable amps i doubt you'll notice any difference in sound quality.

Mar 15, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #26 of 36
Thank you all,

to nut, I know - I am currently trying to get the best headphones in the budget regardless of amps now... the only question remains is "Which headphone is the best in my budget?"

I think the list has narrowed to er4b , qjays and se210....

Thanks for your help so far people.

Mar 15, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #27 of 36
hmm an offer popped up, senns cx400 for about 50$ - I might be able to take him a little lower from that price, its NIB too [so he claims].

Though right now I'm more interested in the ER4p and SE210.. just unsure which of the two.. but I'd still like to hear your opinion about the CX400..

BTW I noticed some ebay sellers sell Shure SE210 for about 110$, they're repackaged though and warranty issue is unsure... What do you think of that?

Thanks.

Mar 15, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #28 of 36
New-in-box ER6i with a set of Shure black foam "olives" or gray flex sleeves. Bass is tight (much better than the ear-raping triflanges also) and not overwhelming, the rest of the sound is detailed. Doesn't need an amp at all.

I don't think you could even get used ER4P for $120 US.

Mar 15, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #29 of 36
Why? I saw plenty of sales going on here for 100$+ shipping for ER4P's..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back