Entry level phones + Entry Leven pocket amp, or just phones?
Mar 13, 2008 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

P.F. Jo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm trying to decide whether I like to combo a entry level pocket amp and an entry level headphones, or just buy headphones with the total sum of my budget.

My three main desires from the headphones soundwise are:

1. "Drummy" Bass, Not muddy bass, or thumpy bass, frankly I dont like bass much - All I need is headphones that lets me hear the drums clearly - not bass that makes the sound over-warm or muddy [and overwhelms mids/highs]

2. Noticeable midrange, I like midrange it makes the sound more "Fun" in my opinion, but not "Sparkly" midrange.

3. Clear detailed highs that are not affected by bass and not too much affected by midrange.

Comfort wise - surley I want them to be comfortable, canal and earbuds are the leading options, but I will go for closed headphones if they're not too bulky.

Budget is somewhere in the 120$ ish, and I am willing to buy second hand.

Let me hear what you think,

Thanks,

-Jo.

Mar 13, 2008 at 10:07 AM Post #2 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by P.F. Jo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I'm trying to decide whether I like to combo a entry level pocket amp and an entry level headphones, or just buy headphones with the total sum of my budget.

My three main desires from the headphones soundwise are:

1. "Drummy" Bass, Not muddy bass, or thumpy bass, frankly I dont like bass much - All I need is headphones that lets me hear the drums clearly - not bass that makes the sound over-warm or muddy [and overwhelms mids/highs]

2. Noticeable midrange, I like midrange it makes the sound more "Fun" in my opinion, but not "Sparkly" midrange.

3. Clear detailed highs that are not affected by bass and not too much affected by midrange.

Comfort wise - surley I want them to be comfortable, canal and earbuds are the leading options, but I will go for closed headphones if they're not too bulky.

Budget is somewhere in the 120$ ish, and I am willing to buy second hand.

Let me hear what you think,

Thanks,

-Jo.

ok id say go with a good set of phones. the phones is the first step. then you decide if you want them to get a little better, the amp isnt a huge step, not as big as a nice set of phones. and for 120$ you will struggle to find a phones and amp combination that is any good at all.

Mar 13, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #3 of 36
Even if I go second hand?

I was thinking combo's like westons + pocket amp or shure e2c + same amp, etc..

what phones do you recommend then?

Mar 13, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 36
You might want to try the Grado's such as the SR-60, 80, or 125. I have the SR-60 and the kick in the drums is definately there but it doesnt have the bass you'll find in other phones. The mids are particular good too but the highs may be a little too bright for your taste. I didn't have any problem after listening to them and they are quite detailed. Oh, and they work great even without an amp.

Mar 13, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 36
Thanks for the suggestion, however I'm not interested in open headphones, note my first message I said that IEMs and earbuds are the leading options for me, while I might also consider Closed headphones such as supra-aural..

Probably should've pointed earlier, although I thought its self explanatory, The headphones will be connected to a portable player... and they will probably be used more in noisy enviorments rather than in quiet ones [such as home].

Thanks again.

Mar 13, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #6 of 36
An amp may be possible to increase sound quality if you use LINE OUT on many portable set up, but if u dont, I do not feel necessary (at that budget)

I think that something higher end in terms of earphones will give u a better return ratio than e2c + amp. ie... SuperFi 5pros or something, i feel that would give u a better run for ur money.

This is because the increase is still pretty straight forward, and upgrading earphones should be 1st priority (with that budget, even used)

Mar 13, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 36
I see, take in mind im no bass lover, at least not bloated, muddy or over-warm bass.. I'm a tight - drummy bass person...

Oh. generes of music are metal of its kinds and rock...... mostly at least.

I thought etymotic of somekind might be for me, but heared the er4s are an amp-must earphone... what about the P's? or maybe er6i?

Frankly i'll tell you what phones i thought of:

um1+amp

e2c+amp

er6i

es7

er4p

iftheres a better alternative please do share with me
smily_headphones1.gif

thank you.

Mar 13, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #8 of 36
I went entry level about a year ago and I think you are better off going with headphones first and then maybe an amp. I have the E2C and was happy with them but the comfort wasn't great and even my Grado SR60 sound vastly better which made me not happy with the sound. I even bought several cheap ear buds along the way and the E2C were better but just not enough to really "wow" me.

I also bought the entry amp PA2V2 and it worked great with the Grado SR60 but didn't work well with IEMs until I had the gain modified. Even then it's not doing as much as it did for the Grado. I haven't bought a new more expensive amp yet so I can't comment on how another amp might do.

My last purchase was the Klipsch Custom 3 which are a huge upgrade but out of your budget. You might consider the Custom 1 or 2 but I don't know how good they are. But the bottom line for me was I had to really spend more on the headphones to get any kind of "wow" factor. I think with your budget you can get a good used pair that you will enjoy.

I wouldn't think most IEMs require an amp. Maybe some do but overall I think you'll be fine without one for a while. Plus I think amps for IEMs will end up costing more than you think or can budget right now.

Mar 13, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #9 of 36
I see, so low budget combos are no good..

What phones should I go for, to get the 'Wow' factor you're talking about if we're considereing the sound signature im looking for?

Thanks.

Mar 13, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #10 of 36
I should say that my budget amp isn't a terrific match with the IEMs that I've owned. Maybe there are others that will work well. But from my reading the amp forum it seems like everyone with IEMs always pay in the $300+ range before they start to get good results. Those who pay in the $100+ range and are please seem to headphone users. I could be wrong.

I think my Klipsch Custom 3 are excellent with vocals and treble detail. There are some songs that I have that just give me goosebumps. I also found myself listening to classical songs that come up in a random play where before I would skip them. I think Klipsch makes the signature you are looking for, but I'm not sure how the Custom 2 or Custom 1 sound (which are more in your price range).

Looking at your post, the Grado SR60 do sound like something you'd like. I know they won't suit your needs but maybe you can find someone who describes an IEM as having an SR60 sound signature?

Mar 13, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 36
I doubt any iem can sound like a an open-back, circum-aural headphone like grado
smily_headphones1.gif

So any idea's for headphones that'll suit me after all?

Just an additional option at my budget [2nd hand though] Yuin PK1.. How would they work unamped? [At least 'till I get money for a good pocket amp lol]

Thanks.

Mar 13, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #13 of 36
Stay on topic please, Grado's aren't what i'm looking for.

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #14 of 36
I'd go for a mid level IEM such as the Atrio M5, Super Fi. 5 Pro, UM1, Klipsch custom 1, etc.

Of those I've only owned the UM1 and the Atrio M5. I preferred the atrio even though they might be too bassy for your tastes. They perform really well without an amp and that's why I recommend them.

Some of these might be slightly over your budget such as the Atrio and Super Fi.5 but I still recommend them. The super fi. 5 has been discounted heavily on different sites recently but I'm not sure what it's going for now.

Good luck

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #15 of 36
Thanks,

However I'm also considering 2'nd hand and not only brand new, which widens my range of options.. In that case what would you aim for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back