Entry level live monitoring headphones <$150
Jan 24, 2018 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DaAwesomeP

New Head-Fier
Hi all!
I've been mixing shows on nicer and nicer equipment recently, and it's time that I start using a real pair of monitoring headphones. I'm looking for something fully closed and very flat for $150 or less. Here's what I've looked at so far:
  • Sony MDRV6 ($68) — Apparently very flat but very old and not the best I can get for the money
  • Koss Pro4S ($138) — Good sound with narrow soundstage (not sure that I need that, I barely mix in stereo), but noted as warm in many reviews
  • Brainwavz HM5 ($110) — Somewhat neutral but not at all portable and apparently not the best for the money
  • Fostex T50RP MK3 ($150) — These seem to have the best reviews of what I've looked at, but they aren't fully closed (a must for FOH mixing) and might be too big. I'd rather accurate than portable though as long as they don't break in my bag.
A lot of reviews say that these headphones aren't the best you can get for their price range, but they never say what a better alternative is. I mix mostly acoustic performances (vocals, acoustic guitar, maybe a bass guitar and some percussion), but I'd like to have something accurate and flat across the board.

Surely I'm missing some great options here. What should I go for?
Thanks!

For anyone interested, at home I listen to music with a pair of AKG k7xx and a JDS Labs C5D Amp/DAC. In my opinion, the C5D drives the k7xx well without coloring them too much, but the k7xx do suffer from the "V" sound that muffles male vocals. However, I think that my ears have adjusted to them over time, and I quite enjoy listening with them.

Jan 24, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 6
For live monitoring, I would get something with a good passive sound isolation.
Beyerdynamic has a few that excel in this area, and are specifically designed with live monitoring in mind.

• DT770M (M designation for 'monitor' - with black pleather pads - these have excellent isolation properties compared to the standard grey fabric type)
• Custom One Pro

There may be others, but these are the one's I've tried out.

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 6
I have the Sony MDR-V6, used them with my portable audio player, thought they were decent for the price.

Jan 24, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 6
Thank you all for your suggestions!!! The SRH840 (a tad expensive) and the DT 770's stood out to me (80 ohms needs an amp).
While looking at the DT 770 in particular, I came across the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro. It's not built as well as the DT 770, but it's more portable, cheaper, and seems pretty flat from the reviews. I also wouldn't necessarily need an amp. I have a JDS Labs C5D that would drive the 770's fine, but I'd rather not use an amp for live mixes. The 380's right in my price range. What do y'all think?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back