Entry into high end... stax vs others
May 3, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #16 of 64
not sure, I don't think so, I think Koss has something, but I still think you should just get a 2050II, you'll get a good idea of what stats are and maybe the next thing you know you'll be buying OII and other high-end gear...

May 4, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #18 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just dont like the way they look. i mean if i am going to spend 300 pounds on headphones, they should atleast look good.

I prefer SQ over nice looking headphones..

May 4, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #19 of 64
lol, so do i, but i dont see why you cant have both. you are jsut remodeling the plastic. i mean they do it with there high end range, so why not cheaper as well. thus, i just wanted to know if there were alternatives. so no option but stax then?

May 4, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #20 of 64
Well yes you're right, they're not really nice looking headphones, but they have their 'charm'. The only 'nice' looking stats I know are the OII, which are ~$1800.

I think you should really try them, right now in the FS forum there's someone selling them for real cheap, so I think that's a good way to explore the world of electrostats.

May 4, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #22 of 64
so am I regarding headphones, they go new for around $700, sometimes cheaper... converted to GBP that's around ~360, so I think you're still OK for an introductory stats setup.

May 4, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #24 of 64
well there are, but I don't think they are in the price range for someone getting into stats, unless you're a rich man that is...
biggrin.gif

they're *might* be some others, I'm sure if there are some another member might post which one it is

May 4, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #25 of 64
I bought Spritzer's old Lambda Stax with the damping material removed. First class sound and very decent bass impact. Buying used is just fine so long as the seller is a collector here. I have never received anything but like new gear here.

May 4, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #26 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remove the damping material and get back to me...
wink.gif

already tried that, yes the bass gets better but there is a hollowness without the yellow foam. I am not sure if I like the sound better due to the echo issue
redface.gif

May 4, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #28 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, sorry but i am just against used stuf. i do not buy it, not now, maybe, maybe later. so 2nd hand is just not an option. it is just not.

Why is that? Enjoy spending lots of extra money?

May 4, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #29 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is that? Enjoy spending lots of extra money?

I don't mind used stuff, but I can understand why some folks are resistant. Warranty issues, just the idea of something being used (especially if its a worn item), and the satisfaction of unpacking and deflowering pristine equipment.

You can definitely get more bang for your buck with a careful used purchase, though.

May 4, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #30 of 64
I reckon a Stax SRS-2050A from http://www.pricejapan.com/ would fit the bill perfectly. It's full sized, ugly and electrostatic and within your budget.

If you stretch it a little you might even be able to get an SRS-3050A.

Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get the chinese orpheus clone

that's already over his price range, and doesn't even come with an amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back