Entry DAC - Under $200
Sep 29, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthecheese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone verify this with the cube specifically?

The Prodigy Cube was very noisy over USB.

Sep 29, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #18 of 22
Anyone spot anything else in the FS section that I missed, or have any other input on the links i posted?

Sep 29, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #19 of 22
I'm using the Firestone FUBAR with good results. I don't use it for headphones. I just hooked it up to my stereo through RCA plugs and am using an old Dell desktop through a USB output. Very good sound, but am not using for any audiophile type listening, more background in the kitchen/dining room.

Sep 29, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #20 of 22
I would look at the card in your computer as the starting point and as such if it gets the data stream (mostly) right you'll have fairly good results down stream with an outboard DAC (as long as it's built well and does not have any grievous character traits). The hard part and a lot of controversy surrounds which output standard is good enough or of high enough quality that it will yield the desired result that you expect or want.

IME thus far I have found that SPDIF (COAX) comes closest to a stand alone dedicated system (CDP/DAC combo) with the far and away largest accepted HQ method comes from the Pro recording world , Fire wire from comp and BNC to outboard master clocks and DAC decoders. TOSlink and USB being the lowest quality in terms of listening tests. COAX SPDIF is the sweet spot IMO that can be implemented without breaking the bank so I would aspire to setting up a comp system based on that output first and foremost.

That being said some considerable push back of late regarding some USB based solutions claim equal results with SPDIF/Firewire. Personally speaking I cannot confirm nor deny those results since I've not tested any USB based solutions beyond the ordinary type that is in widespread use nowadays (The PCM2707 is the most common and really is nothing special) and as such a PCM2707 based unit is not going to cut it vs SPDIF.

Consumer audio solutions that are not expensive (compared to Pro audio at least) that will supply a COAX out (a good one at that) include the AuzenTech X-Fi based PCI boards, HT Omega Claro + for starters.

A hardware accelerated solution is far more desirable than a CPU cycle chewing software based or motherboard chipset integrated solution, so don't be fooled by mobo marketing that claim HQ/HD sound support that is the equal of a separate PCI sound card. The marketing and reality rarely meet. There are so many negatives to on board audio in a mobo it's tough to know where to start. The simple solution is to avoid on board altogether.....and put that money into into a decent PCI/PCIE card dedicated to sound.

As always read up on a number of affordable solutions that will satisfy your needs. I'm perfectly happy with the Auzen Prelude PCI card (using it's COAX out) for the casual listening system
smily_headphones1.gif

Price is around 155-175US shipped depending on where you look. The Claro card is just as good as the Prelude from reports on it's performance as a transport.

All of the above mumbo jumbo is IMHO of course ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck.

Peete.

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #21 of 22
Thanks Peete, lotta good info in there, but a couple questions...

Just to clarify, are you saying that the source which the digital comes from(whether it be the spdif/coax on my mobo or on a dedicated card), has an impact on sound quality, even though its not doing any decoding, just sending a signal out to an external DAC?

I apologize in advance if I'm missing something obvious.

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #22 of 22
I just bought a used Devilsound DAC in the forums for less than $150. I'm using it with my Millet Hybrid amp and some portable Senns (waiting my HF-2s come in!).

This is an awesome little DAC. It has amazing bass that's not overwhelming. It's warm but still detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back