Enlighten me please!
Dec 30, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #33 of 46
I assume you are replying to me, but not sure. It helps to hit the reply button of the comment you are replying to, and to quote the text.

As far as other brands of headphones, I would try something like the Sennheiser 660S, which is about $300 USD right now, marked down from $400. Like the Grado, it is open back, even though it is over-ear and not on-ear. I prefer open-back headphones, and whether they are on-ear or over-ear is not as important to me.

A big consideration in choosing a new headphone is often impedance. The higher the impendence of the headphones, the more power the soundcard built-in amp (or external amp) needs to deliver. Most audiophile headphones are 150-300 ohms or even higher. Your current Grado headphones are 38 ohms, which is an easy load on a headphone amp. The Grado RS2x is also 38 ohms, which your sound card can easily drive. The specs on your sound card say it is suitable for headphones rated at 16-600 ohms, so hopefully the 150 ohm Sennheiser 660S will also work OK.

I would search this form for reviews of the Grado headphones, and those reviews which have comparison to other brands and models such as the Sennheiser 660S. You headphone choice is going to make the biggest difference in the sound.

So. as long as your current setup does produce any audible background noise via your headphones, try upgrading your headphone first. Then decide if you need more power, which would require an external headphone amp. Don't replace your internal DAC until you are sure it is a limiting factor or produces noise from being inside your PC.
good !

Dec 30, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #34 of 46
I just want to know which earphone to buy to replace my grado sr80 !
This whole website supposedly dedicated to headphone hifi, so search the forums. I have a Sennheiser 660S and like it very much. It is neutral sounding and very detailed. You can also search YouTube for headphone reviews. Obviously, visiting some high end audio stores would be best if you can do that.

Dec 30, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #36 of 46
I'll take a look, thanks for your reply!
This whole website supposedly dedicated to headphone hifi, so search the forums. I have a Sennheiser 660S and like it very much. It is neutral sounding and very detailed. You can also search YouTube for headphone reviews. Obviously, visiting some high end audio stores would be best if you can do that.
I'll take a look, thanks for your reply !

Dec 30, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #37 of 46
That's what I said to me if I have to put it all in the drain . Is the headphone output of the Rotel A11 that bad ?
I know I don't have a $10,000 Mcintosh but that shouldn't sound so bad?
I don't use the Nu Audio headphone jack.
The Rotel amp should have a decent headphone amp. First upgrade your headphone, and then worry about the other stuff if you are still not satisfied.

Dec 30, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #38 of 46
That's what I said to me if I have to put it all in the drain . Is the headphone output of the Rotel A11 that bad ?
I know I don't have a $10,000 Mcintosh but that shouldn't sound so bad?
I don't use the Nu Audio headphone jack.
Just get a mojo gen 1 for like $200-300 and use optical.

Get rid of Kimber and use something cheap. Ditto for spkr cables.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #39 of 46
I just want to know which earphone to buy to replace my grado sr80 !
Doesn’t matter. Will sound like garbage out of that Rotel amp.

Dec 30, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #42 of 46
Trying to save you some headache and money. I was where you are now 20yrs ago.

Dec 30, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #43 of 46
The amplifier is also not good?
Amp is fine. I would have gone with stand mount and when you get more funds add a Rel sub. Stand mount will be easier to drive and sub has its own amp. Also sub gives you option on integrating bass with the room.

I presume you don’t have a dedicated listening room with few thousands in treatment.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #45 of 46
As far as other brands of headphones, I would try something like the Sennheiser 660S, which is about $300 USD right now, marked down from $400. Like the Grado, it is open back, even though it is over-ear and not on-ear. I prefer open-back headphones, and whether they are on-ear or over-ear is not as important to me.
Open back is where it is at if you want the most natural sound.
A big consideration in choosing a new headphone is often impedance. The higher the impendence of the headphones, the more power the soundcard built-in amp (or external amp) needs to deliver. Most audiophile headphones are 150-300 ohms or even higher.
Maybe true for dynamics, not often true for planars.
Don't replace your internal DAC until you are sure it is a limiting factor or produces noise from being inside your PC.
Good advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back