Enlighten me please!
Dec 27, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #16 of 46
Why is this a high end discussion?

OP, get an external dac and use the EVGA optical out. Also run EVGA on its own PSU (you can get a 12v trigger on Amazon). Thank me later.

Dec 29, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #17 of 46
So for you a $3500 sound system with a $450 sound card is bad?

My pc has an Intel core I5 12600k processor, 32gb of ram and an AMD rx 6800. If a $3500 sound system is low quality, how much should I invest?

Thank you and good day !

Attachments

• nuaudio.png
    nuaudio.png
    684.4 KB · Views: 0
Dec 29, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #19 of 46
I think the OP will be fine whatever he chooses. But for some a certain sound is looked for. Maybe one unit, maybe two, but a specific sound?
Schiit is popular around here. They don't make any amp with a DAC in it that can compare to the Gumby or the Yggy.

Separates allow for more customization and give you an upgrade path. Usually they are higher quality too. Integrated are more convenient and cheaper. Most people here go separates.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-ta-zh1es.22253/reviews

Dec 29, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #20 of 46
Is this card of good quality or not , we are not all rich you know!

I saved for years to get this and I'm told that my equipment is not of good quality. if you tell me again, I will save for another 5 years!
Your PC sound card with AKM AK4493 dac is very highly regarded and has very good audio quality. Don't listen to anyone who claims you will hear a difference if you get some separate components, assuming that you want to stream music through your PC.

As far as headphones go, I am not familiar with the difference between the Grado SR80 and RS2X. If the RS2X is noticeably better, you will hear that that with the equipment you already have, if that is what you are asking.

Dec 30, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #22 of 46
So for you a $3500 sound system with a $450 sound card is bad?

My pc has an Intel core I5 12600k processor, 32gb of ram and an AMD rx 6800. If a $3500 sound system is low quality, how much should I invest?

Thank you and good day !
I hope you didn’t spend more than $200 on it. It’s only worth about that much if not a little less. It’s a pretty decent transport if you use separate PSU and an external dac. I have the same card if you must know.

Let me try running Grado PS500 from the EVGA - it’s been a long time since I last ran the analog output from the card.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #23 of 46
I hope you didn’t spend more than $200 on it. It’s only worth about that much if not a little less. It’s a pretty decent transport if you use separate PSU and an external dac. I have the same card if you must know.

Let me try running Grado PS500 from the EVGA - it’s been a long time since I last ran the analog output from the card.
The Nu Audio sound card uses the AKM AK4493 DAC chip, which "was" highly regarded and used in many audiophile DAC's. It is no longer available, since the plant that made them burned down a while ago. Likewise the EGA Nu Audio sound card is no longer available new. So long as there is no audible noise from the DAC being inside a computer as a PCI card, then it should sound just fine for the purposes the OP is using it for.

Dec 30, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #24 of 46
Thank you, for the answer, I like grado but there are surely other brands of high-end headphones under $1000 Canadian. I specify it because it's US$700. For me, high-end is something you need to save to afford!
I assume you are replying to me, but not sure. It helps to hit the reply button of the comment you are replying to, and to quote the text.

As far as other brands of headphones, I would try something like the Sennheiser 660S, which is about $300 USD right now, marked down from $400. Like the Grado, it is open back, even though it is over-ear and not on-ear. I prefer open-back headphones, and whether they are on-ear or over-ear is not as important to me.

A big consideration in choosing a new headphone is often impedance. The higher the impendence of the headphones, the more power the soundcard built-in amp (or external amp) needs to deliver. Most audiophile headphones are 150-300 ohms or even higher. Your current Grado headphones are 38 ohms, which is an easy load on a headphone amp. The Grado RS2x is also 38 ohms, which your sound card can easily drive. The specs on your sound card say it is suitable for headphones rated at 16-600 ohms, so hopefully the 150 ohm Sennheiser 660S will also work OK.

I would search this form for reviews of the Grado headphones, and those reviews which have comparison to other brands and models such as the Sennheiser 660S. You headphone choice is going to make the biggest difference in the sound.

So. as long as your current setup does produce any audible background noise via your headphones, try upgrading your headphone first. Then decide if you need more power, which would require an external headphone amp. Don't replace your internal DAC until you are sure it is a limiting factor or produces noise from being inside your PC.

Dec 30, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #25 of 46
I just tested the EVGA headphone out with PS500 and it was pretty poor performance as expected - lack of dynamics, lack of bass, non existent soundstage, lack air, lack space, lack of PRaT, lack transparency. It’s non offensive - I guess that’s a positive trait.

I would pay no more than $100 (as a dac/amp) given the poor performance.

I just wasted 30min of my life listening to crap….

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #26 of 46
I just tested the EVGA headphone out with PS500 and it was pretty poor performance as expected - lack of dynamics, lack of bass, non existent soundstage, lack air, lack space, lack of PRaT, lack transparency. It’s non offensive - I guess that’s a positive trait.

I would pay no more than $100 (as a dac/amp) given the poor performance.

I just wasted 30min of my life listening to crap….
Are you using the EVGA Nu Audio sound card?

Dec 30, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #27 of 46
Dec 30, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #28 of 46
If so, your Grado PS500 or your PC is the problem. The AKM AK4493 DAC chip the sound card is not the problem. Whether the sound card amp is the problem, I can't say, but OP can always feed the RCA line output from the soundcard to a separate amp to see if that works better, before purchasing a separate DAC.

Dec 30, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #29 of 46
If so, your Grado PS500 or your PC is the problem. The AKM AK4493 DAC chip the sound card is not the problem. Whether the sound card amp is the problem, I can't say, but OP can always feed the RCA line output from the soundcard to a separate amp to see if that works better, before purchasing a separate DAC.
Do you have the EVGA Nu Audio sound card? What other DACs do you have/had? I honestly don't think you know what you are talking about. This is also a waste of my time. Not going to respond further.

Dec 30, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #30 of 46
That's what I said to me if I have to put it all in the drain . Is the headphone output of the Rotel A11 that bad ?
I know I don't have a $10,000 Mcintosh but that shouldn't sound so bad?
I don't use the Nu Audio headphone jack.

Attachments

• 8vs.jpg
    8vs.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 0
  • a11.jpg
    a11.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 0
  • rca.jpeg
    rca.jpeg
    5.5 KB · Views: 0
  • sylver 6.jpg
    sylver 6.jpg