ENIGMAcoustics Dharma at TTVJAudio and loaner program
Oct 1, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #16 of 87
Hi All,

I did indeed include a Cardas Clear headphone cable along with the stock cable in the Dharma box. Sorry it is so short (5 ft) but it is my cable that I use at my desk. I stepped on 10 footers for too long and finally got a short one. I think it makes a pretty big difference over the stock cable!!! I'll be interested in all of your opinions.

Todd

Oct 1, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #17 of 87
My email is sent...thanks for your consideration.

Oct 1, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #18 of 87

I have been letting Roon select the songs with the underlying basis female jazz vocalists.   If I had to describe the experience the past 3+ hours in a single word, it would be natural.  The female jazz vocals just have such a wonderful presence in all the music.    I really haven't wanted to leave.  I actually went out to the garage to get a portable chair so I could sit next to the Apache and enjoy the Cardas / Dharma pairing.  I doubt I will even try the default cable as the purpose of the audition is what the headphones are capable of not the quality of the standard cable.  I really want to thank Todd for including the Cardas cable.  

I also plan to try the Dharma's on my RSA Stealth paired to the Meridian 808.2i cd player.  I am interested in how it would pair with a tube headphone amplifier given their low impedance

Okay instead of the Stealth I decided to use the AES-3 DJH Super Preamp with a headphone modification which routes the output to a single ended headphone output.  Modifications were done by Cary Audio, the manufacturer.

The Meridian 808.2i  is directly feeding the AES-3 DJH through a fixed output.  

I am happy to report, the Dharma is very happy with a tube headphone amplifier.  Volume is set at roughly 11 and as they say, is just right.

Honestly I am having a very tough time listening to the headphones.  What do you mean???  I find I just listen to the music and not really concentrate on how the headphones sound but rather the presentation of the music.  In fact as I am writing wife just walked by and I had to take them off to see what she wanted.  She wanted to know what all the sounds I was making was about.  I guess I was just jamming with the music not thinking where I was.  
biggrin.gif

So far the only downside is I do notice some clamping force and with the design of the Dharma, I haven't found a way to adjust.  With that said though, the fit is a significant improvement from back in early August on the prototypes we had at the Chicago Head-fi meet.  

I was walking down to the credit union to get the money to preorder these before Todd announced his loaner program and had that little voice in the back of my  head telling me, no, no, not now.  Have some discipline.  How many headphones do you really need.  This time I listened to that voice and did not pre-order the Dharmas.  I haven't heard that voice while I have been enjoying the Dharma the past 2 evenings 
smily_headphones1.gif

PS:  Music Tonight was Beth Heart "Better Than Home" and NPR's "The New Jazz Divas: Discover Songs"

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #19 of 87

I have been letting Roon select the songs with the underlying basis female jazz vocalists.   If I had to describe the experience the past 3+ hours in a single word, it would be natural.  The female jazz vocals just have such a wonderful presence in all the music.    I really haven't wanted to leave.  I actually went out to the garage to get a portable chair so I could sit next to the Apache and enjoy the Cardas / Dharma pairing.  I doubt I will even try the default cable as the purpose of the audition is what the headphones are capable of not the quality of the standard cable.  I really want to thank Todd for including the Cardas cable.  

I also plan to try the Dharma's on my RSA Stealth paired to the Meridian 808.2i cd player.  I am interested in how it would pair with a tube headphone amplifier given their low impedance.

Okay,  I am back to my main system tonight for the Dharma D1000 using the Cardas Clear cable with the RSA Apache, PWD MKII with music served by Roon.  Tonight shaking it up with some Blues courtesy of Joe Bonamassa.  I would say the Dharma has very good separation as I can clearly hear multiple dimensions based on the location of the musicians, which isn't really that easy to do as too often things can seem pretty 2 dimensions.  The front to back as well as the left to right stand out very clearly.  While I have previously focus on the female vocals, Joe's vocals tonight are spot on and what can I say about his guitar playing and its presentation.  

The comments starting to come in from 2015 RMAF CanJam from the Moon Audio table seem to confirm the impressions.  For those who heard the prototypes, the final production version have addressed a lot the concerns.   Now only if the Cardas Clear was included in the base price rather than the standard Sennheiser HD800 cable.

Oct 4, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #20 of 87

Okay,  I am back to my main system tonight for the Dharma D1000 using the Cardas Clear cable with the RSA Apache, PWD MKII with music served by Roon.  Tonight shaking it up with some Blues courtesy of Joe Bonamassa.  I would say the Dharma has very good separation as I can clearly hear multiple dimensions based on the location of the musicians, which isn't really that easy to do as too often things can seem pretty 2 dimensions.  The front to back as well as the left to right stand out very clearly.  While I have previously focus on the female vocals, Joe's vocals tonight are spot on and what can I say about his guitar playing and its presentation.  

The comments starting to come in from 2015 RMAF CanJam from the Moon Audio table seem to confirm the impressions.  For those who heard the prototypes, the final production version have addressed a lot the concerns.   Now only if the Cardas Clear was included in the base price rather than the standard Sennheiser HD800 cable.

Here is a photo, of the Dharma with the Cardas Clear cable.  It has been been a good match as overall, everything I have listened to with this combination just let the music through and allowed me to forget about the headphone.

Yesterday was a more limited session but I did get a chance to try the Dharma with my Calyx M:

The Calyx M had no problem driving the Dharma for an enjoyable session but honestly my JH 13PRO with FreqPhase is a better match.  Probably adding the 1/8 inch adapter to the full size 1/4 inch cardas plug really isn't the best.  While the Dharma's are low impedance, the M sounded better with the mid impedance setting.

This wraps up my comments on the Dharma.  Definitely with the production version they are a serious headphone in the $1200 space.  They are definitely on my short list of want to seriously purchase but I have to figure out what to sell to fund their purchase.  

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #26 of 87
Me and Europe.
I would so love to review the Dharma :frowning2:

Oct 27, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #27 of 87
Hi All,

The Dharma is moving to Oregonian and should arrive to him by Thursday. There was a delay getting them out. Look for a review from elrod-tom here soon.

On an even better note, I received confirmation that I will be receiving my shipment of Dharma headphones no later than next Friday> They are shipping to me on Monday!!! Finally the wait is over. If you want one of these great new headphones, order now as I still have a few left that are not sold.

Todd

Oct 28, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #28 of 87
Oct 30, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #30 of 87
Received the headphones from Todd this evening. I will go into more detail in the next couple days and give a full impressions review but I will say from my first impressions that these things are amazing. Definitely the best treble I have ever heard, cymbals are so clean and crisp, as I guess they should be. Bass is extremely deep and handles all that my Pioneer Spec vintage system can give them, with exceptionally clean sub bass. Better than I expected to be honest. Comfort is very good as well.

More to come after enjoying the weekend with them. Thanks to Todd for the opportunity. They are the real deal and fed by vintage amps I am impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back