ENIGMAcoustics Dharma at TTVJAudio and loaner program
Oct 31, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #31 of 87
So its looks like a long while yet right?..

I think I should just save for them instead by then. I should just skip the nighthawk and save up for these. Then I can just skip the tour. 

I just don't want fatiguing treble. Should I have any worries?

Oct 31, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #32 of 87
I find treble the most difficult to gauge reliably.
I had problems with headphones that should not have had them according to some and vice versa...
So, I too Dharma has no treble issues, but without listening it will take more impressions to get an idea IMO :frowning2:

Oct 31, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #33 of 87
I find treble the most difficult to gauge reliably.
I had problems with headphones that should not have had them according to some and vice versa...
So, I too Dharma has no treble issues, but without listening it will take more impressions to get an idea IMO :frowning2:

Different ages etc. you are right.

I'm sensitive to it at this stage of life

Oct 31, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #34 of 87
Yup, always been very sensitive to any lower treble harshness so I definitely can relate.
I only heard a preproduction Dharma back in Germany about a month ago and that one apparently might have been defective or just not a very good representation.
It certainly sounded abrasive to my ears but many people swear the production Dharma is smooth up top...
So, yeah. Hard to say 
biggrin.gif

I'll welcome any new impressions as well 
popcorn.gif

Oct 31, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #36 of 87
  ^ I don't get why its so hard to make treble resemble the balance of your average studio monitor. What headphone would people say is balanced in the treble?

I can mention a few headphones where I don't take many issues with the lower treble:
- HE1000 [to my ears the best treble presentation but the opinion on these varies and I heard them during show conditions only... But should know better soon]
- HE400S [the treble is rolled-off at the upper portion though, but the lower part is fine to my ears!]
- AKG K7XX [The treble is well balanced overall. I took great issues with the K612 and K812 but the K7XX seems to be just right.]
- Sony MDR-MA900 [closer to 400S in the treble. Certainly smooth]
- MyST Isophones [bizarre Russian headphones. Awesomeballs sub-bass. Super smooth treble. Mids recessed. Smooth V-shaped, would be great for bass-heads. Not for me in the end, but interesting phones!]
- LCD-X [found them to sound nice in the treble, though they proved too heavy in the end]
- LCD-2 [smooth treble though certainly too smooth. Still heavy]
- HD600 [the HD650 was brighter but I did not listen long enough to determine just how bright] 
Slight treble issues:
- HE400I [has just a very slight peak somewhere in the lower treble that can make it ever so slightly fatiguing... less of a problem than the 560 though]
- Oppo PM1/2/3 [well balanced but all lack at the treble extremities]
- Fidelio X1/X2 [ever so slightly rough. I could probably live with that if they were perfect otherwise]
- Soundmagic HP100 [caveat - excludes the stock pads [bright and abrassive]. I use the Shure alcantara pads.Great example of a headphone where pads make a difference. Too bright with the stock pads. Just right with the alcantaras, My current on the go headphone!]
Headphones where treble was an issue:
- HE-560 [despite the lower treble spike, these are still my fave phones. Alas, the treble spike got to me eventually]
- Dharma [preproduction. Treble certainly was a bit too much in the sibilance area. It just sounded weird. MIGHT have been fixed in production!!!]
HE-6 [too much treble for me]
Staxes [SR009 certainly, SR007 possibly but undecided about them... I found them to not fit me well, regardless.]
Kingsound Estats
HD800 + Orpheus
T1 V1+2 [2 much improved in that regard though]
Unknown:
LCD-4 [supposedly very good all-round, but I am not currently interested]
Odin [did not fit me well at all. HEAVY...]
R10 [have not heard :/]
HE60 [haven't heard]
HE500 [did not hear]
----------------------------------------
Also, lots will depend on gear, source material and one's ears.
These are just my subjective opinions on the [lower] treble area with the headphones above.
I might have missed some so feel free to ask anything 
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #37 of 87

I think I should just save for them instead by then. I should just skip the nighthawk and save up for these. Then I can just skip the tour. 

TTVJ has his first shipment coming in next week.  I like these so much I may buy one right now.  To me it blows the Nighthawk away in every way. 

I'm not susceptible to treble issues so YMMV but this is the best treble I've heard.  By far. 

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #38 of 87

TTVJ has his first shipment coming in next week.  I like these so much I may buy one right now.  To me it blows the Nighthawk away in every way. 

I'm not susceptible to treble issues so YMMV but this is the best treble I've heard.  By far. 

I only want the nighthawk because I want an easy going sound with no treble peaks etc straight from my phone. But I should just get a tunable iem for that. Thanks Frank I am glad you like em. Makes me excited to hear them. Seems like you are more hyped about them then the he6.  

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #39 of 87
Copied over from the main Dharma thread................

Wow.  Received my Dharma D1000 a half hour ago here at work from TTVJ and, like a kid at Xmas, opened it up quickly, plugged it in to my Pioneer SA-8800 amp fed by my Yoga2 through the Microstreamer III and put on my favorite headphone song of all time - Dave Koz "Whisper in Your Ear".  For those not into the genre, Dave Koz is a Smooth Jazz artist and this particular song seems as though it was done for headphone users as it sounds literally like he's whispering in your ear, side to side, and with such soul.  As well, the song has excellent bass. 

So being the vintage freak I am my work system has to stand up to those times a spreadsheet needs formatted and I can pull on a pair of headphones to block out the external sounds.  I had the TTVJ (Todd the Vinyl Junkie for those who are unsure of my use of the letters) audition pair for a few days last week and liked, no, loved, the headphone so much I ordered one as soon as I was able to. 

After the first 30 minutes, I don't regret my purchase.  This is my endgame headphone - or as I'd rather say before anyone "corrects me", my best headphone owned to date.  I had the HE-6 for over a year, have had the HD800 for a few months now, and tried or owned around 50 headphones and I can say I've never liked one as much or as immediately as this.  Everything about it is quality - the build feels like you could bounce it off the floor with no damage.  The comfort is exceptional - I wore it last week for over two hours without an adjustment of any kind.  To me, perfect clamp, perfect pad comfort and the suspension headband design is executed perfectly.  Just nothing bad to say.

The sound.............oh the sound!  Those electrostatic tweeters are the real deal - I am a (reformed) basshead and certainly no treblehead but I can say the treble sounds so real and so right it's like a cymbal is right in your head when it crashes.  So crisp. That's the word that comes to mind.  Midrange is as good as the HE-6 which I feel was the best I had heard.   And being the audiophile basshead (that's what I call myself now after the evolution from my Sony XB500 days to now), the bass is just right on these.  I turned on the loudness switch............and it's smile time.  Add a couple clicks of the bass tone control on the Pioneer and again, more low end loveliness. 

I'll be living with these on my head all weekend and will comment further but for now I'm ecstatic I was fortunate enough to be privileged to have been on the audition tour with Todd from TTVJ.  I'll even try to find a weakness - for now I can't find one.  A big shout out to him for being generous and allowing this type of test ride, even after he got burned on a HE-1000 unit.  Says a lot about the man.  And after speaking with him and emailing back and forth, I appreciate him even more.  Without the audition, I never would have purchased something this spendy but after trying them, I purchased these from him and at the price these are selling for, the Dharma should be a serious TOTL contender. 

Thank you Todd. 

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #41 of 87
Arrived yesterday, I've gotten just a bit of headtime with it but nothing critical yet.  If I had to define in a word my initial impressions of the Dharma+Cardas coming from my current HD600, I'd have go with: different.  Haha probably not too helpful of an opinion at this point.  More thoughts to come, probably later this week or this coming weekend.

Nov 17, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #42 of 87
Keep in mind the audition pair is no longer a well used, many hour on it unit.  I had to send the original pair back to EnigmaAcoustics for some evaluation so the new one is likely days old. 

May not matter but I noticed the brand new one I bought needed a bit of time to settle in with regards to the bass. 

Nov 17, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #43 of 87
Hi All,

The loaner Dharma is in the hands of pr0ggy and will be moving on early next week to the next loaner participant. Please everyone, remember you have them for 1 week and then you need to pass them on. So far it has been going pretty good. The list is long and those on the back end deserve to get a listen to them before 2020 :~).  I also look forward to the reviews. I hope you all have FUN and get to hear these great headphones.

I will be receiving my next shipment of them soon so if you want to reserve one, order now - demand is high and supplies limited at this time.

Todd

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #44 of 87
ALRIGHTY guys, finally finished writing up my impressions on the Dharma for your reading pleasure...enjoy!

Let me start by saying that this is my first official review of a headphone on Head-Fi and I’d like to thank Todd at TTVJ for the opportunity to review the Dharma! I’m generally considered to be a man a few words, so I apologize in advance if parts of it don’t go into enough detail–if you want me to elaborate on any areas, I’d be happy to do so in subsequent posts. All impressions will be made relative to my current benchmark, the HD600.

I want to say 2 things up front:
  • The set I auditioned were fresh from the factory and were not properly burned in and unfortunately I didn’t as much time as I personally would have liked to burn them in before listening.
  • I am extremely treble-sensitive, so please keep that fact in mind when reading my impressions.

MUSIC SELECTION FOCUS
Female Vocals (Lorde, Lana Del Rey, Purity Ring)
Progressive Metal (Volumes, Veil of Maya, Tesseract)
Ambient (M-Seven, Aerocity, Owsey)
Alt/Rock (Slaves, Emarosa, Pierce the Veil)
EDM/Dub (Zomboy, Krewella, Skrillex)

SETUP
FLAC/256k+ MP3 via MPD on Ubuntu Server (14.04 low-latency kernel)
    Pangea Audio USB Cable
Schiit Wyrd
    Stock JDS Labs USB Cable
JDS Labs ODAC RevB
    Signal Cable Silver Reference
Mayflower O2 / G1217 Project Polaris / G1217 Project Horizon III

BASS
If I had to pick one area where the Dharma simply walked all over the HD600, this would be it. I personally find the 600’s bass quite satisfying…quick, tight, very well-placed and blended into the music. The Dharma takes that quickness and precision, adds cavernous depth, more punch…and still somehow conveys this in a way that never felt bloated or overstepping frequency bounds. The Dharma’s lows are simply addictive, and will definitely be the aspect I miss the most after I ship them out.

MIDS
When it comes to mids, the HD600 is far from a pushover regardless of a competitor’s price bracket. Switching back and forth between the Dharma and Senn, I often found myself preferring the 600’s slightly more forward presentation. Vocals and guitars seemed to have a bit more bite. To me, it seemed that the mids took a back seat to the highs/lows on the Dharma. This wasn’t always pronounced, but did stick out in a few tracks. Overall, I think I could live with the Dharma’s mids with few regrets…perhaps a bit on the dry side but I’d call this nitpicking.

HIGHS
Given the Dharma’s design, I had fairly high expectations when it came to treble performance. When I first plugged them into my Project Polaris, I was taken aback with how shrill and glassy they sounded. I decided to let them play for a few hours and came back to them. There was definitely an improvement…much better realism, great extention and air but (coming from a long-time HD600 listener) I felt that they were still a bit too forward and somewhat fatiguing after a while. Something I noticed was how much the highs seemed to change jumping between amps. On the Polaris, they seemed to always be the focus of the sound signature and sounded quite aggressive at times. With the Horizon, the aggressiveness was tamed a bit, but the Dharma/Horizon is simply a poor match resulting in quite a bit of background hiss. My preference in listening was actually with the O2 on low gain. I felt that the highs were pulled back just enough to give a good sense of space and air without the aggressiveness displayed with the Polaris. Switching the O2 to high gain brought back just a touch of the shrillness at times, even at similar volume levels. I even purposefully played at slightly higher volume on low gain to see if volume matching was the issue causing high gain to sound more rough around the edges…even at higher volume, I found low gain to be smoother and more lifelike. All that said, I’d have to assume that the pair simply isn’t burned in yet as I have no doubt the Dharma is capable of better treble performance than I experienced.

SOUNDSTAGING/IMAGING
The Dharma is my first experience with angled drivers. I’d have to say that I’m not quite sure what to make of the experience. With the HD600, I feel as though the sound is coming from a fairly coherent arc-shaped stage in front of me. With the Dharma, it was a bit different…it was almost as though there were 3 distinct areas from which sound was emanating: A narrow, flat area out in front and 2 angled areas to each side, each extending behind the front area and coming out to meet my ears on each side. This stage is noticeably deeper than on the 600, and perhaps a touch higher as well. I’m really not sure if this type of soundstage is typical of angled drivers, someone with more experience may be able to elaborate more on that. Imaging with the Dharma was quite good to my ears from a technical perspective, but as I said, everything seemed to be falling on one of those 3 clearly defined soundstage segments. Overall, I always found myself preferring the 600’s staging as I felt it presented the total musical image as a whole very cohesively…everything just seemed to flow naturally and I never found myself focusing on the staging or imaging. On the Dharma, I always found myself noticing those 3 defined stage areas and in a sense paying more attention to where the music was coming from more than the music itself. The fact that the Dharma was able to so clearly and convincingly convey those 3 sound sources may be a technical achievement on one hand, but a distraction from the music on the other.

OVERALL / TL;DR SUMMARY
Overall, I feel that the Dharma is a well-built headphone that could appeal to many buyers. At first, I was a bit concerned about the weight, but I can’t say that comfort was ever a serious concern for me over 1-2hr listening sessions. While I felt that the treble could be a bit peaky at times and the mids didn’t have quite as much body as I’d like, the bass was simply phenomenal…cavernous when called for, tight when needed, never overstepping its bounds. Soundstage and imaging were, I believe, technically impressive, just not quite my cup of tea. Overall, I believe I will be sticking with my HD600s, but I could see many people (indeed, possibly most) not sharing that decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back