'End-game' headphone rigs, unicorns and other myths
Aug 18, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #256 of 286
Quote:

Even if my Qualias were the only pair of headphones I owned, I think I'd still be perfectly happy.  I'm using them with a Benchmark DAC1 USB and an SPL Phonitor.  I think that comes in well below your $10k figure, even with cables being taken into consideration.

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #257 of 286
Quote:

Even if my Qualias were the only pair of headphones I owned, I think I'd still be perfectly happy.  I'm using them with a Benchmark DAC1 USB and an SPL Phonitor.  I think that comes in well below your $10k figure, even with cables being taken into consideration.

Qualia + Benchmark DAC1
eek.gif
  Both sound bassless and analytical to me. Can't imagine someone will combine them. How different are people's tastes... :)
beerchug.gif

Aug 18, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #258 of 286
Quote:

Yet they are NOT the only pair of headphones you own, are they ? And you are still here - still prone to whatever temptations the LCD-4 or SR-010 or whatever else comes down the pike might present.  
rolleyes.gif

As 'end games' go, yours would seem to have flipped into overtime. 

Aug 18, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #259 of 286
Quote:
Yet they are NOT the only pair of headphones you own, are they ? And you are still here - still prone to whatever temptations the LCD-4 or SR-010 or whatever else comes down the pike might present.  
rolleyes.gif

As 'end games' go, yours would seem to have flipped into overtime. 

Yeah, they're not.  And I am still prone to temptation.  I'm good for now, at least until the next shiny new toy comes out.  Then it's back to square one.

It's funny.  18 months ago, I couldn't have even imagined owning a $1000+ pair of headphones.  Now I own four.

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #260 of 286
Quote:

Yeah, they're not.  And I am still prone to temptation.  I'm good for now, at least until the next shiny new toy comes out.  Then it's back to square one.

It's funny.  18 months ago, I couldn't have even imagined owning a $1000+ pair of headphones.  Now I own four.

Yup. Reminds me of the old Cheech and Chong skit, with the guy on the street corner intoning 'Before, I was all messed up on drugs - now I'm all messed up on the Lord !'  You don't have to spend long here to realise that its a slippery slope - even the Stax Mafia seem to own dynamic cans ...... 

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #261 of 286
odd, I havent found a single DAC that had any bass attenuation whatsoever (except some of those dumb tube-output types)

Quote:
Qualia + Benchmark DAC1
eek.gif
  Both sound bassless and analytical to me. Can't imagine someone will combine them. How different are people's tastes... :)
beerchug.gif

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #262 of 286
I think a end game rig would be a rig "system" that you created your self. I'm not talking about matching amplifier and source together and the highest rated speaker towers. NO. For instance a system that you configured from the Driver,bare wires, amp connectors, modifiable amp components, power components, power source, power feeds, custom driver housing, and maybe even a custom made room if you have that type of cash and space. Then going back and dampening and tuning to teeth the sound and power until it fits your ears and body like no other system could.

Now of course this would be hard to do unless your a engineer/architecture and/or! not afraid to spend time and energy to fix, repair, or buy the highest grade components and drivers you possibly can and have someone or some company put it together for you. But the idea is doing it yourself so you cant say "oh this could have been better if they had done it this way, blah blah blahh".

But for one, its hard to know the best driver or components until you have tested all that is out there. Right?

For me i like and trust the sounds coming from Beyerdynamic drivers, i am not a major tester and have been limited to certain headphones and speaker systems. But i feel that the flagship T1 drivers are pretty damn perfect, not only in sound quality but engineering and control.So if i was to have a End game rig, It would incorporate 6< T1 drivers matched to there own mono D amps setup up in independent L/R channels that would be ported directly into my ear canals(vague? read note). A 4th channel will incorporate independent L/R Resonant Engineering XXX 18'' subwoofers( or critical mass UL12 subs) that would be on low pass to give the immersive feeling of being in the warzone of battlefield 3 and shaking all the air around me, for example sake.

Next I would spend most of my time creating a extremely well rounded room. I know this can get pretty expensive so i would pay close attention to sound absorption from the bass, also to enhance the presence of the bass, i would directly attach the subwoofer enclosures to my sitting area so i could absorb as much vibration as possible, The t1 drivers would be isolated within the custom headphone casing so i need not pay heavy attention to sound deadening too the room.

With that in mind i ask you. What is perfect system that doesn't incorporate a killer video system? So with the rest of my custom rig would be the visual aspect, 2 independent super computers pushing out graphics of 2560x5760 to a multi-linked projector system on a perfectly flat grey 10x16ft wall. For the best viewing angle i would be positioned directly center and about 6-10 feet away from the screen. Also each computer would be configured to only output a designated left or right channel so there is no chance of crosstalk to the amplifiers and through to my drivers.

This would be my ideal and end game rig as there isnt much more you can ask for in my opinion then to be fully enveloped into whatever your listening to, watching or playing. Being that this system would cost anywhere from 25k-50k i could only be astounded with the results if it was made to the best of my ability.

>NOTE< a driver is a speaker = speaker driver.
>>NOTE<< If you havent figured out, or don't understand why i would use 6 drivers and subs then i have one thing to say.
-----------------------------------------------------------3-way +subsonic-------------------------------------------------------

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #263 of 286
Quote:
With that in mind i ask you. What is perfect system that doesn't incorporate a killer video system? 

Get the audio right and it should throw its own images - 3D images at that, One of the reasons I have stuck with this is that I can listen to the same tracks year in and year out and still enjoy them - I rarely feel that way about anything visual. If anything, I want to read or so something else while the music washes over me, and given that this is primarily a headphone forum I believe your suggestions are at odds with the majority of Head-Fiers - happy to hear otherwise, One of the major advantages of headphones over speakers is that we can take the room right out of the equation - ambient noise levels notwithstanding. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #264 of 286
Quote:
The high end electrostatic amps mentioned typically have really good transformers/power supplies.  A medical grade isolation transformer isn't that expensive though.

What difference is one of these medical grade transformers supposed to make?  Is this the same as the audio power regenerators?

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #265 of 286
A transformer passes only AC so all the DC crap that is floating on the mains can't pass through it.  You can also wire the transformer up with a center tap so it outputs balanced AC for even more noise rejection. 

The regenerators are just amps running on high voltage and have their issues and something like the Accuphase units are very, very expensive. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #266 of 286
medical grade transformers are designed to remove any currents from the ground line.
Because even 1 ma can kill a patient when EKG or other kinds of test instruments are
used. medical grade really has nothing to do with audio.

Aug 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #267 of 286
Quote:

Get the audio right and it should throw its own images - 3D images at that, One of the reasons I have stuck with this is that I can listen to the same tracks year in and year out and still enjoy them - I rarely feel that way about anything visual. If anything, I want to read or so something else while the music washes over me, and given that this is primarily a headphone forum I believe your suggestions are at odds with the majority of Head-Fiers - happy to hear otherwise.....

I agree with you totally, i feel i enjoy my headphones and speakers the most when listening to very good quality music or audio mix. This is also why i refrained from mentioning visual display until the end as it is not the center of attention on this site or when it comes to music. But my system is revolved around my computer, i edit a lot of audio and video,produce music, produce audio recordings that require a lot of visual awareness so its only fair i mention it in a end game system. I also find that most of the rigs and systems i see posted on this site have a computer or some visual media device as the source (thus the high usage of DAC's). Not everyone uses there high end headphones for just music, maybe if you own or use very characteristic Cans like Audeze, Stax, or hifi-man i could understand why you wouldn't care so much about visual display,but for me i'm not looking for my end game to be just revolved around music.

One of the major advantages of headphones over speakers is that we can take the room right out of the equation - ambient noise levels notwithstanding. 

I agree as i mentioned
"The t1 drivers would be isolated within the custom headphone casing so i need not pay heavy attention to sound deadening too the room."
But ambient noise is a major issue when your are looking for overall sound quality and even comfort.This is seriously true when using open back headphones, or vented, ported or any other open design variant.  This is the same reason why Bose charges 300 bucks on a pair of **** drivers but incorporates above par isolation to decrease ambient noise.

The reason i say comfort because i feel ambient noise can be extremely fatiguing when you have to constantly over power this noise just to listen and concentrate on your audio, this boost in volume can intern lead to distortion. its more fatiguing on the brain than in ways of actual physical comfort.

This is why i said i would spend most of my time with sound absorption from the bass. What i didn't include was the idea of Room isolation from ambient noise outside.

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #268 of 286
Hi Kevin thanks for the detailed explanation.
I could not see any obvious connection with audio and I understand why now 
normal_smile .gif

Quote:
medical grade transformers are designed to remove any currents from the ground line.
Because even 1 ma can kill a patient when EKG or other kinds of test instruments are
used. medical grade really has nothing to do with audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back