EMU 0404 USB - really the best?
May 15, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #259 of 265
Originally Posted by jiiteepee /img/forum/go_quote.gif   
I still have this device in daily use. Since 2009. Zero issues so far.
Works on both of my Windows PC:s (W7 / W10).

Hi and thanks a lot for the valuable reply.
I was looking for a simple usb interface and this one popped up in the 2nd hand market very cheap.
Then i found this very impressive set of measurements

http://archimago.blogspot.no/2013/02/measurements-e-mu-0404usb.html

i intend to use it with win 7 so i understand it will not be an issue.
Thanks a lot again
gino

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #260 of 265
I still own a 0404 USB (for antequarious reasons heh)....it served me well.In it's priceclass it was for a certain time a very good ADC.The old beta drivers still work...sadly these PC drivers are actually total crap and outdated as well ...However, i could run it on Win 7 pretty well at 9-10 ms latency.

But according to the topic title i'd never call this device "really the best" or shift it into proximity of ADC's like the Benchmark DAC1,the RME Fireface UC ,or the the Lavry AD11 or even the smallest Weiss DAC for example.Even the older RME Babyface blasts the emu0404 usb out of it's socks.I switched a moon ago to the RME Fireface UC and in terms of sonic fidelity and neutrality , drivers, latency, mixer software,usability, support etc ...the emu doesn't even play in  2.league while the Fireface UC plays already champions league .If anyone is still on the opinion the 0404 is "The Best " ...well, put your helmet on and take your proteine pills . 

However if you're on a tight budget and you can get a used emu 0404 for say 50 bucks ...i''d say it's worth it

Dec 7, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #261 of 265
  I still own a 0404 USB (for antequarious reasons heh)....it served me well.In it's priceclass it was for a certain time a very good ADC.The old beta drivers still work...sadly these PC drivers are actually total crap and outdated as well ...However, i could run it on Win 7 pretty well at 9-10 ms latency.

But according to the topic title i'd never call this device "really the best" or shift it into proximity of ADC's like the Benchmark DAC1,the RME Fireface UC ,or the the Lavry AD11 or even the smallest Weiss DAC for example.Even the older RME Babyface blasts the emu0404 usb out of it's socks.I switched a moon ago to the RME Fireface UC and in terms of sonic fidelity and neutrality , drivers, latency, mixer software,usability, support etc ...the emu doesn't even play in  2.league while the Fireface UC plays already champions league .If anyone is still on the opinion the 0404 is "The Best " ...well, put your helmet on and take your proteine pills . 

However if you're on a tight budget and you can get a used emu 0404 for say 50 bucks ...i''d say it's worth it

Hi ! which pc source are you using ?  
are you using the usb input on your RME Fireface UC ?
Thanks a lot,  gino 

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #262 of 265
In fact i do listen to 95% clean 24/96 vinyl rips stored on a external HDD connected via Wireworld Starlight usb 3.0 to my msi laptop which is connected to my Fireface UC via Wireworld Starlight usb 2.0 which is connected to my Amp and finally speakers.

This gave me imho so far the best sonic results compared to toslink or spdif...the wireworld starlight USB cables are really an ear opener ...some say USB cables do not make any difference but i asure you once you've tested them on a good system against generic usb cables you'll never switch back to those generic USB cables again.I had before the Ultraviolet cables which are more on a budget side but even the Ultraviolet gave me a clear sonic benefit as well ...but the Starlight is nontheless minimum 1 class better than the ultraviolet .

They do need about 60-70 hours of burn in but you can already hear how much better and cleaner the sound is right from the start.

However, i do recommend as well to switch from the standart fireface power supply to a battery driven one (build one myself , no witchcraft)...the fireface profits clearly from it .I'd recommend going this way for any ADC ,clean power is very important.

After a full burn in those tweaks will put a fat grin on your face ...trust me :)

If you intend to use ADAT i.e. toslink or spdif,i'd put the RME ADI-2 into consideration since it is clearly less cost intense compared to the Fireface UC and does a great job as well, just keep in mind the ADI-2 offers less connecting possibilities. Another great plus for RME stuff is their excellent reseller value so the money is well invested.

Mar 22, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #263 of 265

I still have this device in daily use. Since 2009. Zero issues so far.
Works on both of my Windows PC:s (W7 / W10).

Hi, which drivers are you using on Windows 7/10? I tried "EMUU_PCAppDrvFw_L6_1_30_07" on Windows 7 without success, computer just freezes if I try to access E-MU 0404.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Mar 23, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #264 of 265
I have an EMU 0404 USB - packed away somewhere. To me it sounded a bit lean and am now using a Cambridge CXA80 which is a Wolfson DAC, headphone amp, and stereo amp so serves me better.

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #265 of 265
Been listening through 0404 USB for years, still do on Windows 10. No problems with drivers. Used to have DPC latency issues on Win 8, no longer do on Win 10. Think that wasn't caused by EMU at all, but no way to know for sure.

I only have one minor trouble with it: sometimes it just stops playing sound and I have to power-cycle it. Then it works again. Usually occurs when the system was silent and then something starts playing, but sometimes occurs mid-song as well. Sometimes happens twice a day, sometimes once a week. Thankfully, the power switch solves this problem very conveniently :)

As to what superseded it nothing from Creative, AFAIK. There other MIDI USB interfaces in the $100-200 range, but I'm not sure if their DAC is as good. If you just need stereo playback and nothing else, I recommend getting a decently modern no-snake-oil DAC like JDS Labs ODAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back