EMU 0404 USB - really the best?
Apr 23, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #166 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But it might not be worth it compared to changing components that affect the sound more.

Yes, that's a valid point too... The other components can affect the ability to hear differences.

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #167 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was one person's experience. I'd wager I could A/B the 0404 USB against all of my other equipment. Not everyone has the same ears, after all, especially accounting for age, noise-induced hearing loss, and difference in physical structure of the ears.

Plus, you're only examining the specifications of the most important components. Yes, the Super Pro 707 and the Headroom Micro have the same DAC, but the surrounding circuit layouts and parts are likely very different. Though they may share some similarities in sound signature due to the DAC chip, they might sound like extreme variations of each other because of the difference in implementation.

Basically, there's a reason for the price differences.

And it could be a great reason. Or it could be reasons that add no value for a lot of people (connections, crossfeed, case, brand equity). All I know is the fellow who had both preferred the HR, but not by much. Look, I'm not saying that the cheapest component is always the way to go or that there are never any audible benefits to be gained by upgrading. That would be foolish. But it is just as foolish to assume that the benefits are always commensurate with the cost. "You get what you pay for" is a nice cliche, but it doesn't always work that way, especially where rapidly advancing technologies and world markets are involved. It only takes a bit of objectivity to know that electronic components like DACS, cable, sometimes even amps, often deliver very little audible change for the dollar. The big sonic upgrades are in headroom and better speakers/cans. It has always been so. It is even more so in the digital age.

Tim

Apr 23, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #168 of 265
Quick question.

I'm planning on getting a emu 0404 to use with my laptop to some speakers.

Setup would be Laptop > Emu 0404 > Receiver > Speakers.

The question is now should I connect the Emu 0404 to the Receiver?

1. Using RCA cables from Emu 0404 to the Receiver.
2. Using Digital/Optical out from Emu 0404 to the Receiver.

I'm assuming I should be using the RCA cable so the Emu 0404 does the converting instead of my receiver since the Emu 0404 is supposed to be the DAC? Unless my receiver is a better DAC?

Receiver is a Harmon Kardon AVR 135 btw.

Apr 23, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #169 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by ds- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question.

I'm planning on getting a emu 0404 to use with my laptop to some speakers.

Setup would be Laptop > Emu 0404 > Receiver > Speakers.

The question is now should I connect the Emu 0404 to the Receiver?

1. Using RCA cables from Emu 0404 to the Receiver.
2. Using Digital/Optical out from Emu 0404 to the Receiver.

I'm assuming I should be using the RCA cable so the Emu 0404 does the converting instead of my receiver since the Emu 0404 is supposed to be the DAC? Unless my receiver is a better DAC?

Receiver is a Harmon Kardon AVR 135 btw.

I do #1. The 0404 USB has 2 outputs, a mini TRS jack and 2 TS jacks. You need either a mini to RCA cable or 2 TS to RCA adapters, which is what I have.

IMO, it's a waste of money to buy the 0404 USB if all you're using it for is USB to coax/optical conversion.

Apr 23, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #170 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do #1. The 0404 USB has 2 outputs, a mini TRS jack and 2 TS jacks. You need either a mini to RCA cable or 2 TS to RCA adapters, which is what I have.

IMO, it's a waste of money to buy the 0404 USB if all you're using it for is USB to coax/optical conversion.

That's what I thought.
I am just looking for a device for USB to Coaxial/Optical conversion.

Guess I can try using my Fubar II as the DAC unless the Emu 0404 is much better at it.

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #171 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And it could be a great reason. Or it could be reasons that add no value for a lot of people (connections, crossfeed, case, brand equity). All I know is the fellow who had both preferred the HR, but not by much. Look, I'm not saying that the cheapest component is always the way to go or that there are never any audible benefits to be gained by upgrading. That would be foolish. But it is just as foolish to assume that the benefits are always commensurate with the cost. "You get what you pay for" is a nice cliche, but it doesn't always work that way, especially where rapidly advancing technologies and world markets are involved. It only takes a bit of objectivity to know that electronic components like DACS, cable, sometimes even amps, often deliver very little audible change for the dollar. The big sonic upgrades are in headroom and better speakers/cans. It has always been so. It is even more so in the digital age.

Tim

Great post. I think it sums it all up. This should be stickied somewhere.

Apr 24, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #172 of 265
Quote:

But it is just as foolish to assume that the benefits are always commensurate with the cost.

I agree. After doing some "upgrading" I've actually come back to my original components and cheaper headphone amp because...well, they just sound better to my ears.

Apr 24, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #173 of 265
Quote:

Great post. I think it sums it all up. This should be stickied somewhere.

Thanks. What is the "Black silk veil version" of the HD580?

Tim

Apr 28, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #174 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benny99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't even bother with the DAC 707 USB. I just got a refund on it due to the fact thats its a pretty terrible DAC. It gives off a very harsh sound and lacks bass.

pish. Here are a few threads from the AV123 forum with about thirty pages of posts disagreeing with that assessment and showing a clearer picture of its strengths and weaknesses:

What we still lack, and what would be extremely useful for the head-fi crowd, is a thorough comparison test of the 707 USB (modded or not) up against the 0404 USB.

Apr 28, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #175 of 265
Quote:

Thanks. What is the "Black silk veil version" of the HD580?

Tim

It's simply the old HD580 version that has a black silk screen, and which can have the sennheiser veil unless properly burned in, used, and amped. Thus the black silk veil. (As compared to the new white metal screened drivers that people find to be without the veil).

Apr 29, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #176 of 265
Quote:

It's simply the old HD580 version that has a black silk screen, and which can have the sennheiser veil unless properly burned in, used, and amped. Thus the black silk veil. (As compared to the new white metal screened drivers that people find to be without the veil).

? My ooooold hd580 sounds almost exactly the same as my new hd600 so I don't think that the silk has any meaning to sound whatsoever.

Jun 4, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #177 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headphone amp section of the EMU0404 is overrated. While it can sufficiently drive high-impedance headphones, it's definitely no match for most sub-$200 dedicated headphone amps out there. It's too muddy, lacks impact and details. The Main Out of the 0404, however, is much better.

x2

My SR60 is kind of sounds lifeless compared to straight out of something as modest as a Zen Micro. Even the mids become thinner and dont have that lower mid warmth. Someone like Michael Buble sound well... castrated in emu headphone out.

Havent tested the lineout though

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #178 of 265
running an emu 0404 usb thru anti cable ic's and samson rubicon r5a.. while it lacks the imaging and dynamics of my old dac, the evs millenium, it's got better tone and is quite transparent and is quite detailed
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #179 of 265
Has anyone tried changing out the HP Op-amp for something with a little more juice? Perhaps upgrading the Power Supply to give a little smoother DC? I don't find alot wrong with my 0404 and HD650. It sounds pretty good 0404 to Predator in, to HD650, also. I think it may be a better source than dedicated amp.
Scott

Jun 5, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #180 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried changing out the HP Op-amp for something with a little more juice? Perhaps upgrading the Power Supply to give a little smoother DC?

Yep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back