EMU 0404 USB - really the best?
Apr 21, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #152 of 265
I usually listen to Satellite radios, with a samsung receiver which has a digital output.Can i connet EMU 0404usb to that one?

Apr 21, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #153 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually listen to Satellite radios, with a samsung receiver which has a digital output.Can i connet EMU 0404usb to that one?

Yes, almost anything with a digital output will work with the 0404 USB.

Apr 21, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #154 of 265
hello,

i have a quick question.
wink.gif

it is possible to connect computer microphone to emu 0404 usb? i am talking about this mic: hama.de | 00042463 Hama*Tischmikrofon "CS 463".
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #155 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Const4nt1n3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello,

i have a quick question.
wink.gif

it is possible to connect computer microphone to emu 0404 usb? i am talking about this mic: hama.de | 00042463 Hama Tischmikrofon "CS 463".
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, with a 1/8" to 1/4" mono adapter. However, I'm not sure if you'll be able to use it for gaming; it may only work in programs that have input signal routing.

Apr 21, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #156 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, with a 1/8" to 1/4" mono adapter. However, I'm not sure if you'll be able to use it for gaming; it may only work in programs that have input signal routing.

does it has to be mono? because i have stereo one, but it seems that the latter isn't working. also i tried 1/8" to 1/4" to XLR Male adapter, but no resuts here also (i used 1/8" to 1/4" stereo adapter).

Apr 22, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #157 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Const4nt1n3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does it has to be mono? because i have stereo one, but it seems that the latter isn't working. also i tried 1/8" to 1/4" to XLR Male adapter, but no resuts here also (i used 1/8" to 1/4" stereo adapter).

Yes, it must be mono because each of the input plugs is a mono jack (since a single microphone only uses one channel).

Apr 22, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #158 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just run a line out from the cd player to the line in on the 0404

Thanx, and I suppose I will have to use special reduction, because these imputs are mono, something like that?

Apr 22, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #159 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it must be mono because each of the input plugs is a mono jack (since a single microphone only uses one channel).

hmm, okay. i'll try to get mono jack. later i am going to write if i was successful.
wink.gif

thanks for help!
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #160 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just run a line out from the cd player to the line in on the 0404

no, that will just be using the 0404 amp which isnt that great. you need a digital out to it to use the dac

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #161 of 265
I just read through this thread, as I'm researching DACs for use in my computer-as-source system. In the meantime, I'm just using a cheap iMic USB dongle to get a line out of my Mac iBook G4. The innards of a Mac are very quiet compared to most PCs. In fact, there is no audible noise when volume is maxed. And actually, just the simple line out to get around the Mac's weak headphone amp and using whatever DAC chip is on the Mac's sound card (Texas Instruments TAS3004?), sounds very good through a high-power amp into Sennheiser HD580s or through a Headroom Airhead into Etymotic E6s...

Starting from that perspective, threads like this (and there seem to be more of them all the time), in which people are comparing upgraded electronic components with their existing ones and not hearing much, if any, improvement, are a bit of an alarm going off.

Here's what I've gotten from this thread: Two DACs, both designed to be very neutral, for home/studio recording purposes. The cheaper on actually has more functionality. They are as much as $1150 apart in street prices. And a bunch of audio guys have spent 16 pages and a couple of months trying to decide if they can really hear the difference between them. One gentleman even got both DACs in his house to compare and once he level-matched within 1 db, he could perceive no sonic difference in that $1150 spread.

This is not to say that a much better built-in headphone amp, balanced line outs and a beautiful metal box are worth nothing. But they're worth nothing to me. My objective would be met by a plastic box with a USB or Firewire port going in, RCAs coming out and neutral digital to analog conversion in the middle.

Thanks for the red flag. I'm going to keep reading for awhile. Then I think I'm going to order a few DACs at a few price levels and compare before I buy. And I will definitely include the clean line-out from my Mac's humble soundcard in the comparison. Who knows? I may end up sending all of the DACs back. But I'm gonna start here:

SUPER Pro DAC 707 USB

$110, with the same components and specs as Headroom's $299 Mirco DAC. If it doesn't sound better than my sound card, I'll move on to the 0404.

Tim

Apr 23, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #162 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just read through this thread, as I'm researching DACs for use in my computer-as-source system. In the meantime, I'm just using a cheap iMic USB dongle to get a line out of my Mac iBook G4. The innards of a Mac are very quiet compared to most PCs. In fact, there is no audible noise when volume is maxed. And actually, just the simple line out to get around the Mac's weak headphone amp and using whatever DAC chip is on the Mac's sound card (Texas Instruments TAS3004?), sounds very good through a high-power amp into Sennheiser HD580s or through a Headroom Airhead into Etymotic E6s...

Starting from that perspective, threads like this (and there seem to be more of them all the time), in which people are comparing upgraded electronic components with their existing ones and not hearing much, if any, improvement, are a bit of an alarm going off.

Here's what I've gotten from this thread: Two DACs, both designed to be very neutral, for home/studio recording purposes. The cheaper on actually has more functionality. They are as much as $1150 apart in street prices. And a bunch of audio guys have spent 16 pages and a couple of months trying to decide if they can really hear the difference between them. One gentleman even got both DACs in his house to compare and once he level-matched within 1 db, he could perceive no sonic difference in that $1150 spread.

This is not to say that a much better built-in headphone amp, balanced line outs and a beautiful metal box are worth nothing. But they're worth nothing to me. My objective would be met by a plastic box with a USB or Firewire port going in, RCAs coming out and neutral digital to analog conversion in the middle.

Thanks for the red flag. I'm going to keep reading for awhile. Then I think I'm going to order a few DACs at a few price levels and compare before I buy. And I will definitely include the clean line-out from my Mac's humble soundcard in the comparison. Who knows? I may end up sending all of the DACs back. But I'm gonna start here:

SUPER Pro DAC 707 USB

$110, with the same components and specs as Headroom's $299 Mirco DAC. If it doesn't sound better than my sound card, I'll move on to the 0404.

Tim

I wouldn't even bother with the DAC 707 USB. I just got a refund on it due to the fact thats its a pretty terrible DAC. It gives off a very harsh sound and lacks bass.

Btw what sound card do you have ?

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #163 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benny99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't even bother with the DAC 707 USB. I just got a refund on it due to the fact thats its a pretty terrible DAC. It gives off a very harsh sound and lacks bass.

Btw what sound card do you have ?

Whatever it is that comes in an iBook G4. Under "about this Mac/more info/Audio (built-in), it says:

CODEC:Texas Instruments TAS3004

I confess I don't know part numbers or what that means. I also don't know if it will sound as good as quality external DACs, but it sounds good and is quite quiet, so it's worth a listen.

Did you give the 707 much time? Yesterday another member here reported the same harshness, but said it smoothed out after a 40-hour burn-in and now just lacked a bit of warmth when compared to his Headroom micro dac. He preferred the Headroom but conceded that the 707 was probably more neutral.

Tim

Apr 23, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #164 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That was one person's experience. I'd wager I could A/B the 0404 USB against all of my other equipment. Not everyone has the same ears, after all, especially accounting for age, noise-induced hearing loss, and difference in physical structure of the ears.

Plus, you're only examining the specifications of the most important components. Yes, the Super Pro 707 and the Headroom Micro have the same DAC, but the surrounding circuit layouts and parts are likely very different. Though they may share some similarities in sound signature due to the DAC chip, they might sound like extreme variations of each other because of the difference in implementation.

Basically, there's a reason for the price differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back