EMU 0404 USB Modding FINISHED!
Aug 27, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #31 of 50
9bacbfb5a506.jpg

fc67558f9473.jpg

Oct 12, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #32 of 50
I am going do mod my 0404 usb. I am not using the headphone output, so I would not be modding that. Having read this thread I am considering to change the two lineout opamps to lm4562, the five 47uf, the two 10uf and the one 220uf power cap, using black gate caps for all.

Any comments or suggestions to that?

Oct 16, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #34 of 50
"I now realize that black gates is not to achieve any more."

Are you saying they are not being made anymore? Cerafines are supposed to sound really similar and they are available , no? Muze KZ caps (I think that is the name) are supposed to be good to.

How long can you make those leads on the caps before they become antennas for noise?

Cheers

Oct 16, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #35 of 50
Thank you for this inf. Black gates are not produced any more, and I have been told that there is a lot of fakes out there. I did a research and found the Black gates I need from a supplier I think I can trust.

To the second part of your Q. Does any of you who has done these mods have any exp. about drawbacks with the longer leads/ or other drawbacks that would be worth knowing ( of course we all like to present the positive results :)

Nov 9, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #37 of 50
Pls help: I have run into a problem with my modding. I have changed the two line out opamps (U16 and U22) to lm4562ma. One channel works fine, the other gives a signal, but with low gain. I have checked that there are 12V between leg 4 and 8 on both, so it is not that easy. Can anybody help with a diagram or on other ways give me a clue about how I can find the fault?

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #40 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 0404 USB is brand new and I haven't really spent enough time listening to it yet to form an opinion, but it does measure superbly as a DAC, ADC and external sound card. Actually, for its price it's beyond reproach. It is amongst the best measurements I've seen, at least as far as RMAA goes.

The balanced input/output capability is also very nice (which, is the primary reason why I bought one).

Ti:

Have you a preference between the M-Audio Firewire and the 0404 USB these days? I notice most your measurements are with the M-Audio Firewire, but the 0404 seems to measure slightly better in many of your tests.

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #41 of 50
luvdunhill, I primarily use these as RMAA test instruments. I use the M-Audio Firewire Audiophile more because it's what a lot of my tests were done on, so it makes sense to use the same instrument for consistency. I use the 0404 USB when I need the balanced input/output capability.

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #42 of 50
BTW, I am on my 3rd 0404 USB. The first two died mysteriously with similar symptoms -- one day it was working fine, the next day it would be dead as a doornail. I am wondering if there is a intrinsic problem with the design. Fortunately both times it was replaced under warranty, now I have one of the white ones
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #43 of 50
resurrecting this thread because I modded mine and it has problems. maybe somewhat can offer help/suggestions/opinions...or a round thump on the ear for buggering up my gear.

I recapped with silmics (the 47uf and 10uf caps), cerafines (220uf for phones out) and muse for PS cap. I now have uneven output between right and left channels on both the headphones and line-out. Can anyone explain that?

At the moment I'm going balanced from the 0404 directly into my amp (Ashly FET-500). The amp has attenuators for each channel so I can fix it there but the headphone out is a bust as would be using it with any of my other amps.

Thanks,
Michael

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #44 of 50
...and I screwed up some more. lifted a pad while swapping in a new opamp. Now I don't know where to jumper the pin to. Anyone got a schematic?...probably not.

So, even if you read this a year or two after I posted it and you can help out please do so because this will just be hanging around on the shelf until then.

Also, if you think you might be able to fix it yourself and either might be interested in buying it cheap or getting paid to fix it for me I'd be interested.

-Michael

Jan 17, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #45 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfaughn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and I screwed up some more. lifted a pad while swapping in a new opamp. Now I don't know where to jumper the pin to. Anyone got a schematic?...probably not.

So, even if you read this a year or two after I posted it and you can help out please do so because this will just be hanging around on the shelf until then.

Also, if you think you might be able to fix it yourself and either might be interested in buying it cheap or getting paid to fix it for me I'd be interested.

-Michael

I have a fried E-mu 0404 pci lying here. If you take a picture of your destroyed pin, maybe I can help you measure where it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back