EMU 0404 and 0202 Compared
Jan 11, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #106 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by ri_toast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ good to know, thanks

Keep in mind I have a desktop computer, I've heard the 0202 can have a harder time when running on a laptop (this is because of Wifi and other stuff).

Anyway, hope you'll like it
smily_headphones1.gif

I am very please with mine. After a couple of days, I've really noticed a great difference in bass response, tightness and control.

Jan 12, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #107 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by syndrome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind I have a desktop computer, I've heard the 0202 can have a harder time when running on a laptop (this is because of Wifi and other stuff).

Anyway, hope you'll like it
smily_headphones1.gif

I am very please with mine. After a couple of days, I've really noticed a great difference in bass response, tightness and control.

i like mine as well although i'm still trying to figure all the possible settings. i've run the latency checker and while using the asio plugin for foobar my system is playable except that i can't use any other function of the computer; even using the mouse wheel causes noise. i pushed up the buffer a bit and that helped some. i'll continue in that direction if results contine to be positive. when i run direct sound it's much less of a load and runs/plays better. mp3s are even less of a load than flac. i might have to try windows 7 or turn off a few unneeded services or <gasp> reinstall xp. turning off areo made zero difference. i have no problem not using the computer for anything other than a player and the quality is impressive. needless to say with the right files my cd player sounds anemic.
thanks for your help.

Jan 22, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #108 of 121
Could someone answer this question ?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/em...ml#post5338761

I was looking for a multi-purpose DAC Amp, but now I begin to think that this kind of audio interface could be another good solution. Here's what I'm looking for :

USB Input for my computer
Spdif input for my CD/DVD player
RCA analog input for my tuner
RCA analog output for my stereo amplifier
Headphone output for... D2000 and DT990-600

I'm open to any suggestion...

Thanks,

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #109 of 121
Could someone help me with my EMU 0202. I bought it used from a seller here so I don't have any of the software that came bundled with it. I did install all the web setup they offer from the creative website and now I do have the EMU control panel window. I'm pretty sure I've disabled my "Realtech" soundcard of my laptop (through device manager) and have everyting outputting to the EMU.

I get sound any everything works fine and dandy with my EMU > Little Dot 1+ but what I am getting is a lot of feedback...not crackling and hot hissing really..just sounds like noise..very hard to explain. It's VERY noticable between tracks but gets drowned out by the music during songs.

I had this exact same problem when I did my Laptop > Little Dot I+ > Headphones. I did not have the problem when I used my Zune > Little Dot I+ > Headphones so I assumed the problem was something with the laptop outputting to the amp. That's the reason I bought a USB dac. I thought that by using a usb dac the computer would have 0 influence on the sound and that feedback I'm hearing just wouldn't be there. Unfortuantely I hear it just as loud and clear as I did before.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm using foobar but I really have no clue about anything along the lines of ASIO and spdif etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. I did try disabling my wireless adaptor on the laptop but it didn't help at all.

I'm wondering if I even have the emu hooked up properly. I figured that by disabling the realteck audio adaptor then the sound has to be going thorugh the DAC, right?

Thanks

P.p.s. I just hooked the headphones up directly to the laptop without the amp and it's dead silent, no background noise what so ever. Would the amp be the problem? It works fine with my zune but everytime it goes through the laptop i hear the feedback. The feedback is a bit louder going from the laptop to the amp as compared to the laptop to the EMU to the amp.

p.p.p.s. I hooked the amp to my other laptop as well and still feedback.

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #113 of 121
So you are saying that using EMU -> LD on your laptop causes feeback and using the same combo on your work desktop doesnt cause the noise?

Thats really strange. How old is your laptop? Like inifinitesymphony suggested, have you tried the HP out from the EMU? Maybe you can detail the config and OS on your laptop, I cant see any other weak link in the chain.

Feb 8, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #114 of 121
My Laptop is relatively new. Its nothing over the top specs wise but i'd say a year old.
I tried the HP out on the EMU while plugged into the laptop and it's silent.

So it would seem the amp is the problem then? Problem is that when the amp is plugged into my zune and my work computer it's completely silent as well (for background noise). It's some sort of synergy issue with the laptop. I have Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3..basic laptop specs are..
Celeron 1.6 GHz
1 Gig of ram
80 gig HD

I also have this very same problem using my much much older laptop as well.

Feb 8, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #116 of 121
About 10 seconds ago i tripped on my powercord for the laptop and ripped it out of the wall (it was plugged into the same outlet as the amp) and viola.
Silence.
no more feedback, no more background interference. I did a few tests and it seems you're right. Doesnt matter where I have the laptop plugged in..As long as it's plugged in, theres that feedback. Looks like its battery power only for the time being.

Now to figure out why i hear hissing in my flacs....

Man this really makes my day though. I thought I was doomed to never listen to music on my laptop again.
Thanks

Feb 8, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #117 of 121
useful comparison. Very few get these two together.

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #118 of 121
i find my new e-mu 0202 VERY bright compared to the sony NWZ-A818 and the X-Fi XtremeMusic. i have to turn the highs all the way down for it to be ok with my 5 EB... bass was very punchy on the mid session with i dont like at all..
with some eq, it is very nice.. details are great and sounstage is good too. but on flat, its unbearable with my phones. the pk1 had a thick bass that pissed me off.. also got much better with some EQ. Alessandro ms-1 is on it's way.. i'm afraid it will be too bright.

i also should notice that, with my current phones (5 eb and pk1), the headphone out sound almost the same as my headsix connected to the line out... i couldnt notice any difference at all, but note that i didnt do any extensive listening.

Sep 17, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #119 of 121
What is the situation about sound quality of emu 202 compared to m-audio cards such as audiophile and mobilpre ?

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #120 of 121
Hi, Ive got the 0202 for a while now, and i was thinking on an upgrade. My current rig is  pc > emu0202 > ath-ad700

I was thinking on a small desktop tube amp or maybe new headphones. Any suggestions??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back