EMU 0404 and 0202 Compared
May 15, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #76 of 121
thank you for your thoughts

Switching off the background apps doesn't help (I have only 21 processes running).

Setting the foobar priority to high also doesn't help. I don't use any DSP except the EQ. I hope it's not the case, because I can't live without the EQ
smily_headphones1.gif
Switching between DS / ASIO is also without any positive effect.

I have nowhere else to connect it, so only software way left to fix it.
rolleyes.gif

I am going for a complete reinstall of my elderly XP, but the earliest date seems to be the next week.

May 17, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #77 of 121
It's beyond my logic... simply weird... I have just underclocked my A6Km (using RMClock) from 1800 MHz to 800 MHz to make it quieter and soon noticed, that cracking/popping is gone. The only issue left was stuttering of foobar2000, which I fixed by setting it's priority to high. So problem solved, I hope reinstall will fix it entirely.

Btw, I am very pleased with 0202's SQ. Nice, detailed sound, fun to listen. IMO great synergy with HD 555's.

May 18, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #78 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems to be the case. I have experienced this popping crackling issue only on laptops, and I usually switch off every background app, wireless, and whatever else I can to keep it from happening.

I guess I won't know for sure until I try it out, but that's good to hear. Thanks for the info.

May 18, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #79 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From your description the 0202 and 0404 sounds like some kind of polar opposites. Your description of each of them remind me of those bad characteristics from the 0404pci, which was aggressive sounding and too much bass at the sametime. Anyway hope I am wrong, since I'm looking for and affordable dac that is extremely neutral and uncolored like the 1212m.

dont the 0404 usb and pci versions have the same DAC? assuming the other components have the same quality, shldnt the sound sig be the same?

May 18, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #80 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dont the 0404 usb and pci versions have the same DAC? assuming the other components have the same quality, shldnt the sound sig be the same?

They do (though the 1st-gen 0404 PCI had AKM AK4395 instead of AK4396), but the circuits are different. The 0404 USB is newer and IIRC, those who have done direct comparisons usually have preferred the USB version. Part of the difference may be because the card is 'outside the box' and is not directly affected by EMI inside the computer, or potentially dirty power from the computer's power supply / motherboard.

May 18, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #81 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do (though the 1st-gen 0404 PCI had AKM AK4395 instead of AK4396), but the circuits are different. The 0404 USB is newer and IIRC, those who have done direct comparisons usually have preferred the USB version. Part of the difference may be because the card is 'outside the box' and is not directly affected by EMI inside the computer, or potentially dirty power from the computer's power supply / motherboard.

thanks for the reply. any links to show this difference? i'm curious as i bought the pci version thinking it would be the same with the same DAC.

May 19, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #82 of 121
It's been discussed in a few threads, but they'll be difficult to find given how many posts there are about 0404s. From what I read, the difference was not night-and-day, so if you already have the 0404 PCI it's probably not worth upgrading to the USB version.

May 23, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #84 of 121
So the EMU 0202/0404 work on Vista right? I need to know because I am running Vista 64-bit. Thanks.

Jun 9, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #87 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this is the computer section but I plan on buying a EMU USB to record some vinyl. Are both the 0202 and 0404 up to the task or is it just the 0404.

Neither has a phono preamp (only the 1616/1616M do), so you'll need an external one. You'll need two RCA to 1/4" adapters to plug into the line inputs for either, but it will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back