EMU 0404 and 0202 Compared
Mar 5, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #46 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unbalanced and Balanced are not to be confused with Line outs.
The EMU uses an amp only for the headphone out and not for the Main outputs.

You would use the Main outputs of the 0202 to connect to your external amp. There are two options for this. One is to use the TS connectors, convert them to RCA using a TS->RCA converter cable
http://www.sweetwater.com/images/ite...R202-large.jpg
or use a converter with RCA cable cable.

Or you can use a regular mini-mini
http://www.sweetwater.com/images/ite...M103-large.jpg
or mini-RCA connector since the 0202 has both.

As for comparisons, I personally havent heard the Edirol, so I really can't comment on how good it is. But I do remember considering it when I bought the 0202, and I chose the 0202 in the end based on my research.

Awesome. So all i have to do is buy this and a mini-to-mini interconnect. Does the "direct monitor" knob affect the line-out signal? If so, what should i have it set to? I am assuming I want the light to be showing "stereo" since I am using the mini output vs. the l/r ts output.

Thanks again

Mar 5, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #47 of 121
Direct monitoring is used ONLY for recording purposes. What this does is connect the two Inputs of the 0202 directly to the outputs without going through the USB interface to the computer since that might cause a delay.

Hence Mono Light for when you are using only one of the inputs, and stereo for Monitoring both L and R inputs.

For playback however, all this is completely irrelevant and doesnt change anything.

Mar 5, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #48 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Direct monitoring is used ONLY for recording purposes. What this does is connect the two Inputs of the 0202 directly to the outputs without going through the USB interface to the computer since that might cause a delay.

Hence Mono Light for when you are using only one of the inputs, and stereo for Monitoring both L and R inputs.

For playback however, all this is completely irrelevant and doesnt change anything.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation

Mar 5, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #49 of 121
One last thing. Could you just give me an estimate on the dimensions because I can't seem to find a single site that mentions the size of the unit.

Mar 5, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #50 of 121
Its about a quarter of an inch to half inch bigger on all sides compared to the Gilmore Lite.

From headamp, Glite measures 5.75 (L) x 4.5 (W) x 1.2 (H) inches

So 0202 should be around 6.25 x 5 x 2 inches (+/- .25inches)

Mar 6, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #51 of 121
alright, with new drivers volume taskbar is back!
As for controlling the output, i was planing to replace my old yamaha amp with Cambridge Audio 640A V2 (with remote), so it will wait for better days.

Thank you all for tips&help
smily_headphones1.gif

Now that i'm here, i might look into upgrading my headphone setup with some headamp.

Mar 6, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #52 of 121
maeda.......what headphones do you use?

I found a nice "maxed" desktop PIMETA (with stacked buffers and an external 24VDC power supply) was a very cost effective upgrade for driving HD600's.

Better detail and firmer/deeper low end. Every few weeks one turns up here on the amps FS forum, usually for $110 to $125.

However, if you are using low-impedance phones, it might not make a huge difference to you at this point.

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #54 of 121
Those particular headphones, AFAIK, aren't often seen here in the US.....I've certainly never seen them, much less heard them.

The major concern that some users have with the built-in headamps in any USB bus-powered interfaces is that they have low "voltage swing" that limits their ability to drive high impedance headphones. Some who listen at high levels complain that the 0404 USB cannot drive Senn HD580/600/650's to adequate levels--they take a bit less current but a lot more voltage to produce a given volume compared to 32 ohm headphone such as yours.

Maybe someone else would be able to give you a better idea, but I'd say enjoy it for a while without an additional headamp. Best thing would be to borrow an external headamp and see if you find there to be a substantial difference with your headphones before investing more in a headamp than in the 0202 USB itself, I think.

Mar 8, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #56 of 121
i've just got the 0202usb, and it's great. it sound pretty clean and wasn't like what i thought, although both of my headphones and speakers are on the bright and light bass side. i can hardly tell the diff between it vs my 1212m, i can immediately notice the slight fatter bass, the soundstage may be more compact and dryer trebles. but really it sound so good i probably can't tell the difference with a blind test. i like this thing a lot, very convenience, although i'm mainly using it for the lineout in the back, not the headphone out. there probably is some emphasis on bass from the headphone out, i connected the px100 to it which is pretty bassy, and it was sounding kind of messy. my other headphone was pretty clean sounding though. i've got about 3-4 "buzz out" though, hopefully will go away after i switch to a better psu.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think that the driver itself has become overly bloated--I don't see any difference in CPU usage versus previous versions.

lol, i don't know about bloat, the only option it seem to have is to change the sampling rate, unlike patchmix.

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #57 of 121
Wow, forget to check the smaller forums for a couple of weeks, and you see that somebody finally did a comparison you've been waiting for (and calling for). Many thanks, jilgiljongiljing. You've confirmed my suspicions on the differences between these devices. Now if only you had a Super Pro USB dac to compare with both, I'll be able to be well-informed in my self-torture about what I'm missing.

Mar 10, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #58 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, i don't know about bloat, the only option it seem to have is to change the sampling rate, unlike patchmix.

What I was driving at was that so often, it seems like new drivers come out that either (a) fix a problem that you never had, but cause higher CPU usage for every user or (b) add features for which you have no use, but are part of the default package.....and the net result is that the new driver takes up more memory/CPU cycles yet does the same (or even less) for the majority of users.

As far as I can tell, even though the download package was huge, the driver still seems to operate with similar memory and CPU usage and has been just fine.

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #59 of 121
Whenever I reboot my computer, I have to re-add it through my Foobar's Asio because it wouldn't detect, like it's a new device everytime. Although it would automatically be set as default player for Windows. Kind of a disconvenience. I'm not 100%, but it seem if I leave it on upon turning on the computer, my Windows wouldn't boot.

Mar 11, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #60 of 121
okay, i found out that if i turn off the emu0202, windows would boot up immediately. but i don't know how to leave it on and turn on the computer without having it stop the windows from booting. this happen with two different computers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back