EMU 0404 and 0202 Compared
Dec 9, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #91 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, the comparisons still hold, and the built in amps can easily drive the HD650's and sound pretty good as well. It can be a good solution till you decide to invest on an amp later on.

I'm not so sure I would agree with that. True, I do not have HD650 to see for myself but I was using HD595 on the EMU0404 and while it drove those easily it does not drive my DT990pro so well. DT990pro are 250ohm headphones. I have to turn the volume up to 3/4 or more to get what I consider good sound levels. HD650 are 300ohm. Amp in the 0404 is only 20mw.

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #92 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the EMU 0202/0404 work on Vista right? I need to know because I am running Vista 64-bit. Thanks.

Yes, I have Vista64 and EMU has a driver for 0202/0404. They didn't when I first bought the 0404 but they have for had one for quite some time now.

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #93 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottyyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent comparison.

So good in fact, you persuaded me to bid on a 0202 on eBay. Which I lost because the someone outbidded me in, literally, the last 5 seconds.
mad.gif
frown.gif

Yea, probably the owner outbid you in the last 5 secs with another account because he didn't want to let it go for such a low price. Happens all the time on eScam.

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #95 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not so sure I would agree with that. True, I do not have HD650 to see for myself but I was using HD595 on the EMU0404 and while it drove those easily it does not drive my DT990pro so well. DT990pro are 250ohm headphones. I have to turn the volume up to 3/4 or more to get what I consider good sound levels. HD650 are 300ohm. Amp in the 0404 is only 20mw.

impedance and sensitivity are not the same thing.

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #96 of 121
I know, and the HD650 are not high sensitivity headphones either. Anyway, my DT990 sound good on the EMU 0404 but I believe they will sound much better on the Woo3 I am about to buy. Maybe I will be proven wrong, we'll see.

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #97 of 121
I got my EMU 0202 today, as an upgrade from my earlier X-Fi XtremeMusic. I've read good things about the 0202, and seen many "Yes, it's a good upgrade from onboard audio", however since I wasn't on onboard audio earlier I thought the difference wouldn't be very clear.

So I plugged it in and gave it some initial listen with my HD555's. First reaction is less boom than I'm used to from the X-Fi. I thought I noticed clearer detail too. Sound is definately more flat and natural than the X-Fi.

I put on one of my favorite tracks of all time, The Knife - Silent Shout. It begins with some silk smooth bass thumping, great for trying out gear. It sounded as silk smooth as ever, and more "OMPH" than the "OMPHKRZ" that the X-Fi gave me
wink.gif

I've spent the whole evening listening through different kinds of music, and that's when I found Massive Attack - Angel.

Jesus christ on a stick..

This is definitely where I noticed the most difference. I've never heard this song with suchs controlled bass before
redface.gif

I love how it won't distort like, ever, regardless of volume. There's some hiss though (no humm). Any tips?

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #98 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by syndrome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've spent the whole evening listening through different kinds of music, and that's when I found Massive Attack - Angel.

Jesus christ on a stick..

This is definitely where I noticed the most difference. I've never heard this song with suchs controlled bass before
redface.gif

Yeah, that's the sign of a good quality DAC / playback system. Bass sounds super-deep and evil.
devil_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by syndrome
There's some hiss though (no humm). Any tips?

Does the hiss happen even when nothing is playing? HD555s have 120 ohms impedance, so the 16 mW/channel headphone amp on the 0202 USB may not be best-suited for driving them, though it may sound good anyway.

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #99 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the hiss happen even when nothing is playing? HD555s have 120 ohms impedance, so the 16 mW/channel headphone amp on the 0202 USB may not be best-suited for driving them, though it may sound good anyway.

Ah, I see. Well, the hiss is very low and never that distracting. Could be my MP3's too.

I have no idea how I should get the line out to my amp though. I expected normal RCA's, but there's two 1/4" jacks for line out. My amp takes RCA's as line in, and I don't have anything else cablewise around
frown.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #101 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy new cables. You can find them in your audio store.

yes, 1/4 inch mono plug to rca, fairly common.

i just got my 202 yesterday and installed it today on vista ultimate 32. it's an older computer p4, 2.4 prescott. installed without a hickup. sounds very good. no skipping or crackling even at default settings. i did move all the other usb (keyboard/mouse) off usb to the old style ports. i'm not sure if i needed to do this but decided to anyway. i was considering a sound card upgrade but i'm glad i found this dac. odd, i'll probally never use this for anything other that output but the programs it comes with for puesdo studio is impressive. other than cakewalk sonar any other programs that come with this work on vista? anybody?

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #102 of 121
By the way, I'm running this card on the same USB Card as an external hard drive, mouse, keyboard and an mp3-player. No trouble at all
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a P4 2.5ghz, 1024mb ram.

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #103 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by syndrome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, I'm running this card on the same USB Card as an external hard drive, mouse, keyboard and an mp3-player. No trouble at all
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a P4 2.5ghz, 1024mb ram.

^ good to know, thanks
btw in your signature it says asio, i looked for a tab in foobar (9.6.1) couldn't find a tab to enable this, does vista do this automatically? that's the streaming with priority right? also, i've got 16,24,32 etc; all the bit depths. does this refer to and match the sample rates 96,176,192?

16/44 is the bit depth and sample rate of cd. if i set the bit depth higher i assume i'm oversampling forcing the dac to work harder and presumingly getting "better" audio quality. this seems like re-ripping mp3 from 192k to 320k and saying it's better; it's not.

that said; i know of no audio files that need 192kHz as a sample rate, should i assume that this is primarily for the capture section of the dac?

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #104 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by ri_toast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ good to know, thanks
btw in your signature it says asio, i looked for a tab in foobar (9.6.1) couldn't find a tab to enable this, does vista do this automatically?

You'll have to download the ASIO component from here:
http://foobar2000.org/files/2b63597a...o_out_asio.zip

And then put the .dll in your Components folder, \Foobar2000\Components. Restart Foobar, go to preferences (Ctrl+P) and navigate to Playback -> Output -> ASIO Virtual Devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back