EMU 0202 or 0404 USB
Feb 7, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The E-MU web site, and previous posts on the forum, clearly show that the 0404 USB uses the AK4396 DAC from AKM, their top of the line unit, while the 0202 USB uses the CS4392, a somewhat older DAC from Cirrus.

Two different generations of technology from two different manufacturers.

Yes, but both chips are quite good, and the RMAA results I've seen for both show it as a toss-up. The 0202 is hampered by only using USB power, but then for many it might be more convenient not to have to use a wall wart.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had the EMU 0202 for a while and I have a 0404 on order, I will get it on the third week of february. I will post a detailed head to head comparison once I get it.

excellent news.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had both the 0202 and the 0404 side by side.

If you are planning to use either one as an AMP/DAC combo, go with the 0404. The 0202 built in amp is pretty much worthless for high impedence phones.

As far as DAC goes, the 0404 tops the 0202 by a slight margin (not an OMG, a beauty and the beast "a whole new world" kind of difference) but a worthwhile upgrade.
Hope this helps you decide.

this is even better news. Stud, do you recall enough to comment on the difference in character between the two? I mean, was it simply that one was slightly superior, or was one more lush, the other more analytical, etc.?

Sep 4, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #21 of 24
Just saw that. Thanks... I am wondering whats great under $250 these days. I dont really care for the recording features. I just want a great usb dac. My valab hasnt arrived yet and if it gets a week more delay, I'm asking for a refund and am getting something else for my laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back