Empyrean elite
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #181 of 279
Of course, the sound is (pretty much) the only thing that should matter, but I actually prefer the look of the O.G. Empyrean, as opposed to the chrome-clad Elite. It looks a little too silvery for my liking; it almost looks cheap-ish.

Still, it's a revised flagship, and Meze hasn't disappointed me, thus far - I enjoy the 99 Classics, the RAI Penta, and I absolutely love the Empyrean.

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #182 of 279
I listened to them for a quick bit. Luckily the Elite cable connector is compatible with the Audeze connector, so I could try both single ended and balanced.

I'm a bit of a basshead, so I always focus on that first. I think the bass is pretty good on the Elites. I listened to some rap albums and the sub-bass was sufficient (which is not always the case with headphones).

In terms of detail, and keep in mind this is just off a first listen, the Elites are not at TC or Susvara transparency levels. I recently got rid of my Solitaire P, and I feel the P is more detailed than the Elite as well.

I don't think the level of detail is a big problem, at least not for me. Off this quick first listen, I'd say the Elites are at LCD-4 levels in terms of detail.

One thing I really like about the Elites, I can drive them very well with a red DragonFly. I like this because most of my headphones are hard to drive, and I can't really use them outside of my listening area.

Also, I too think the original Empyrean looks better than the Elite. I don't care about aesthetics, so I don't mind, but I agree with what some of your are saying. The comfort level on the Elites is very good, with perhaps a little too much clamping pressure (but I have a big head). The clamping isn't really a problem, and I forgot about it quickly.

I will listen to the Elites more critically later tonight and tomorrow.

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #183 of 279
I listened to them for a quick bit. Luckily the Elite cable connector is compatible with the Audeze connector, so I could try both single ended and balanced.

I'm a bit of a basshead, so I always focus on that first. I think the bass is pretty good on the Elites. I listened to some rap albums and the sub-bass was sufficient (which is not always the case with headphones).

In terms of detail, and keep in mind this is just off a first listen, the Elites are not at TC or Susvara transparency levels. I recently got rid of my Solitaire P, and I feel the P is more detailed than the Elite as well.

I don't think the level of detail is a big problem, at least not for me. Off this quick first listen, I'd say the Elites are at LCD-4 levels in terms of detail.

One thing I really like about the Elites, I can drive them very well with a red DragonFly. I like this because most of my headphones are hard to drive, and I can't really use them outside of my listening area.

Also, I too think the original Empyrean looks better than the Elite. I don't care about aesthetics, so I don't mind, but I agree with what some of your are saying. The comfort level on the Elites is very good, with perhaps a little too much clamping pressure (but I have a big head). The clamping isn't really a problem, and I forgot about it quickly.

I will listen to the Elites more critically later tonight and tomorrow.
Very nice impressions, thank you! Am particularly curious about what you think about the treble — any sharpness? Too forward or too recessed?

Great to hear they can be driven easily with a Dragonfly. Most importantly, hope you enjoy the new cans!

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #184 of 279
Very nice impressions, thank you! Am particularly curious about what you think about the treble — any sharpness? Too forward or too recessed?

Great to hear they can be driven easily with a Dragonfly. Most importantly, hope you enjoy the new cans!
No treble sharpness so far. I need to listen more to better assess though. I’ll run through some albums tonight and report back.

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #185 of 279
No treble sharpness so far. I need to listen more to better assess though. I’ll run through some albums tonight and report back.
When they have a few hours on them, would you compare them in more detail to the LCD-4?
As a fellow basshead I'm especially interested in how they compare down low

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #187 of 279
Summary (from Ciggavelli's post) : pretty good bass, sufficient sub-bass, easy to drive, level of detail not a big problem.

Doesn't sound like the description of a $4000 headphone.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #188 of 279
Summary: pretty good bass, sufficient sub-bass, easy to drive, level of detail not a big problem.

Doesn't sound like the description of a $4000 headphone.
Not with the big boys.

Sep 1, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #191 of 279

Thanks for sharing your early impressions dude : )

Sep 1, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #192 of 279
Sorry was trying to paraphrase Ciggavelli.
You forgot detail at lcd4 level (or thereabout) and easy to drive.
No issues with treble, (like lcd4)

at same rrp as lcd4

Sep 1, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #193 of 279
@Ciggavelli thanks for sharing your impressions! I was really close to doing a blind purchase, but decided I am going to wait for your "final thoughts"...

Sep 1, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #194 of 279
@Ciggavelli thanks for sharing your impressions! I was really close to doing a blind purchase, but decided I am going to wait for your "final thoughts"...
Me too. It's in the shopping cart, but I managed to resist the initial temptation... Looking forward to more impressions..

Sep 1, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #195 of 279
@Ciggavelli

When u have some free time could you do me a favour, and have a listen to the album Stella and Steve by Benee.

Screenshot_20210902-075425_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

It isn't anything masterful and does not offer much in terms of showing off headphone technicalities or soundstage/imaging etc but it remains one of my favourite albums. I love her voice and the constant bass notes/melody and punch.

Could you listen to a few songs and share what u think of the sub-bass, leading punch/snap to the bass, and also her voice (whether u notice any sibilance or etch). I also like how her music has a lot of small elements in the background, which can be easily made out and isolated on the Utopia/Susvara.

Her voice (and it's leading edges) and the snap of the snare drum element keeps the whole album engaging for me. It's when I fell asleep to this album when listening with the original Empy that I realized it had to go... Just wondering if the same thing may happen with the Elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back