employee issues
Jan 20, 2006 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

cpw

Headphoneus Supremus
Some of you may remember my having to fire an employee for a positive drug test result after an on-the-job accident.
We've had some theft issues recently:
Some Katrina relief charity $ was stolen/lost. No one really knows when it disappeared or exactly how much weas there but it amounted to about $1500. Inventory was off by $23K in clothing though inventory accuracy has been notoriously bad.
Recently, two of our employees were suspended for three days w/out pay for violation of a company policy. Here's how that went:
Employees can purchase items we sell @ cost + 10% but they can't put them on hold nor stash them. They can put them "on account" as long as the account is paid off by the end of the month which usually gives them at least 1 pay day before they have to actually pay for an item. This policy was never really enforced too much but in November, it was reiterated very clearly. Two employees had stashed a few things they intended to buy back in Sept. then (I believe) forgot about them. After the policy was reiterated, a third employee reminded the other two that they should get the stuff outa there but it never happened. Both employees claim they "spaced it".
The owner feels this is tantamount to stealing and wanted them fired. Dept mgrs recommended the 3-day suspension which the owner agreed with. One of the employees is a single mother who works full time and also does a paper route in the wee hrs to make ends meet. The other is a part-timer. The single mom took it really hard and ended up in the hospital with high blood pressure that even IV meds had a hard time reducing (she does have a BP prob anyway but timing of the acute flare up suggests a connection).
Now, one of my employees has returned from bus travel and has submitted receipts for taxi rides that were non-reimbursable anyway (non-bus related) but he also submitted for half the amt of the receipts even thought the rides were split by six people. He claims he paid more than the others, another employee said everyone paid 1/6 share. Ownership is convinced that this is part of the "thieving epidemic" and want action (probably the same as the two suspended employees) taken.
I think all of these incidents warrant a "write up" but not much more. Tomorrow I'll probably be pressured into taking more serious action against my employee.
What do you guys think is appropriate for the "stashing" and "receipt" incidents?
Sorry for the long post but I'd really like to hear some other perspectives on these issues.
Oh yeah, the owner has recently installed security cameras w/out employee knowledge. Anyone know if that's legal? As a mgmt team member, I'm feeling some frustration.
CPW

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 31
I cant say i really have any idea over matters like this - but how about telling ownership that if anything like this ever happens again then you are happy to take extreme action (yes, maybe firing).

Then telling the employ to straighten up and fly right and explain the consequences of not?

Rob.

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by robzy
I cant say i really have any idea over matters like this - but how about telling ownership that if anything like this ever happens again then you are happy to take extreme action (yes, maybe firing).

Then telling the employ to straighten up and fly right and explain the consequences of not?

Rob.

Clearly less than ownership wants but sounds reasonable to me. Problem is if you get suspended for putting sthg in a drawer, trying to cheat on an expense report would seem to merit at least that much. Problem is proving it though NV is a right-to-work state so termination doesn't require reason.
CPW

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
I would probably give that single mom another chance as she's probably been scared straight.

She's back to work already. Do you think her punishment was merited?
CPW

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
She's back to work already. Do you think her punishment was merited?
CPW

Given the circumstacnes, I'd say yes. I mean it's not like she didn't know aboutthe policy or that it was something that was just introduced.

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
Given the circumstacnes, I'd say yes. I mean it's not like she didn't know aboutthe policy or that it was something that was just introduced.

Do you think being formally written up would have been sufficient?
CPW

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #10 of 31
Well the suspension was probably merited since despite "mixed signals," due to not enforcing the policy in the beginning, it still was reiterated, and she chose not take it seriously.
There doesn't seem to be any "malice," involved, nor was there any real harm done so I feel a flat out firing would've been pretty harsh. A suspension to serve a "this is serious" notice was probably the best course.

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #11 of 31
Being a manager I empathize with you.

1. As long as the merchandise did not actually leave the store, no police report was filed, they said that it was their intention to pay for the merchandise they set aside, I think that management was a little harsh in the suspension. I think a written reprimand and revocation of the privilege of putting merchandise aside might have been a better option. Suspension is a last step effort before termination. To keep off shaky ground, documentation of informing them about the store policy and suspension of the privilege for a period of time, or revocation, might have been a better idea. To single out an employee (you said the policy was kind of loose) in a protected classification (e.g. women, minorities) may lead to exposure.

2. With regard to the security cameras you should contact your local labor board or your HR attorney for the laws governing your state. In my opinion the installation of security systems is a privilege of ownership. The expectation of management is that employees are following policy so they should have nothing to worry about.

3. In terms of the receipt issue I think that it first MUST be dealt with in a confidential manner. Bringing it up on a public forum such as this could put your job in jeopardy. At the very least you owe the employee the respect of confidentiality as a manager. DO NOT DO THIS AGAIN!!! If this is a first incident of making false claim, you might ask the employee if they would like to amend the expense report first. Please remember that you found out about the problem from another employee so any action you take will lead to some amount of friction in the workplace. It could be even worse if you escalate this to a written warning or suspension. If this is a possible “first offense” I would rather put the “fear of god” into the employee and let him know you are going to give him a break, but that he is going to need to regain your trust. Sometimes that can be a lot more effective then a written warning, a disgruntled worker, and an uncomfortable work environment.

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 31
SIGH...why do people do stupid **** like that? They ALWAYS get caught.

I feel for you...it's not a fun position to be put in. I can also relate.

Back before I went back to grad school, I worked in outside sales. I was promoted to sales manager, inheriting a team that had zeroed the previous month. I called everyone in and explained that all I wanted was effort...go out and make calls and we'll pull this thing out of the fire together.

I walked out of that meeting feeling pretty good. So good that I related the story to one of our service managers...who then let me know that he had heard that the whole crew was going to his nephew's place for a little "we got a new boss" party. I drove over and peeked in the window, and there they were, playing video games, drinking, and burning rope...all at 10:30 AM!!

I called the ringleader into the office and asked him how his day went. I made him go get his business cards from that day, and it's amazing how many different colors of ink this guy used in a day. I just looked at him and asked "do you think I'm stupid?".

Long story short - because of the circumstances of my arrival, I gave everyone one last chance...with the understanding that they'd be looking for a new job that day if I ever even thought they weren't working again.

We eventually managed to turn things around, after about half of these guys bailed. Then we downsized, and I went back to grad school. Now I design tax software and listen to tunes all day.

My advice would be to REALLY lay down the law, but clear the slate. It appears (please don't take this the wrong way) that some trust was given to some of these folks where it was not deserved. Not everyone does the right thing when nobody is looking...that's why so many employers ignore the potential good that flex schedules and tele-commuting can provide. It's because they know that while some folks will do right, others will be doing body shots and playing X-Box.

I'm also thinking you'll have to put some of these folks on written warning of some kind, and I think that's OK. You might even have to let some folks go (my candidate would be the butthead with the bogus expense report). In the end, if you make it clear that there's a new sherrif in town, it may all work out.

Good luck...

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #13 of 31
Is the owner in your city/state? Do they personally know the employees? When the personal "touch" is taken out of the equation I can see the consequences - especially in the case of the "stashers" who had been warned more than once & didn't comply. But the human factor is relevant to this situation, IMO. Is this an employee who has been dependable on all other counts? His past honesty & integrity should mean something & if the owners do not have the personal contact with him to know his character perhaps you could bring this to the table. If he has not been a person of character or integrity in the past then maybe a harder line approach is warranted. But to have an across the board no exceptions sort of policy on issues that have previously been treated with leniency doesn't seem fair or likely to be well received by employees. If the employess are otherwise productive it seems that there could be a better way to change the policy over time rather than invoking the "gotcha" mentality with seemingly no warning.

just my 2cents!

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #14 of 31
You have to break eggs to make an omlet...if this means that you need to fire someone to get the point across that this type of behaviour will not be tolerated then so be it.

I worked in a call centre in university and made it to management I guess you could say, although they preffered the term "coach". Anyway, our best sales person, and when I say best, I mean that he outsold the next closest person almost two to one, started to get cocky, and determined that he could do whatever he wanted. I guess he figured that he was indispensable, and coped attitude all the time when asked to do something he didn't feel he had to do. long story short...we fired him. It sounds really bad, but people in sales jobs, part time or full time, especially if it is retail, need to realize that they are replacable, and are a dime a dozen.

I only hope that things turn out better with your employee(s) than mine, he ended up screaming at the owners, and became so belligerent that he got himself arrested
eek.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #15 of 31
I stashed a green throw blanket once. I bought it later that week, though.

If I had been caught, I would have deserved any punishment. Even being fired.

I'm not sure if the same goes for your single parent employee, but I know that if I don't like the rules set for me, or the managers, or the emplyees, then I can just put my two weeks in and stick it out until I quit. Your job is to do what the owners tell you. As much as I hate it when our managers yell at us, I know it's not personal because when it gets right down to the bottom of it all, it's their job or ours, they choose their's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back