Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
May 28, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #766 of 903

PS - Am I the only one who thinks that the 3.5 headphone jacks are the only real issue with this piece of kit? 

I agree with you 100%  The DC-1 is a awesome performing unit in all its functions.  What I worry over most is long term reliability. It would have been so much better to have the switching between headphone and line level outputs done in the menu rather than by plugging and unplugging the fragile 3.5 jack. I wonder if a change could be made via a firmware update. I shall request it and see what response I get.

May 31, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #769 of 903
I agree with you 100%  The DC-1 is a awesome performing unit in all its functions.  What I worry over most is long term reliability. It would have been so much better to have the switching between headphone and line level outputs done in the menu rather than by plugging and unplugging the fragile 3.5 jack. I wonder if a change could be made via a firmware update. I shall request it and see what response I get.
The Emotiva Stealth Dac 1 is reliable as all get out. It fell four feet onto concrete on the front corner. I assumed there would be a cracked screen. Just a small dent on the corner. I haul mine around as if it's camping gear. Solid unit. No need for a spare.

May 31, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #770 of 903
The Emotiva Stealth Dac 1 is reliable as all get out. It fell four feet onto concrete on the front corner. I assumed there would be a cracked screen. Just a small dent on the corner. I haul mine around as if it's camping gear. Solid unit. No need for a spare.

Oh I agree, over all the DC-1 is built like a tank.
I'm only concerned on the analog output switching depending on the durability of the 3.5 headphone jack, they are notorious for being fragile. Time will tell.
My 5 yo  Sansa Clip+ still functions perfectly after heavy carrying use but is now problem-sum due to the 3.5 jack making intermittent contact internally.  :frowning2:

May 31, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #771 of 903
Got a kind of weird issue with my DC-1, after moving to a new location. Hooked up to the computer with a USB cable and then to two different amplifiers (SE and balanced).

Hooking up the RCA output to a SE amplifier I get a pretty sustained low level static buzz/hiss.
If I unplug the USB cable from the DC-1, no buzz/hiss
If I take the SE amplifier and unplug the RCA from the DC-1, no buzz/hiss. 
Hooking up to a balanced amplifier via the XLR outputs, I get no buzz/hiss.

Never had any issues with the DC-1 one until now (new living location). It's odd the ground loop would be caused only by having the USB connection?

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #772 of 903
Hi,

Just got the Stealth DC-1, as was not satisfied at all with running RCA's from a PS3 to a PV10AT mixer. Muddy sound and no real low end (35 foot run).

With the Stealth DC-1 running TOSLINK Optical in Fixed Mode (avoids movies sounding overdriven) and demoing Tron: Legacy, I'm happy to hear the audio is clean and subsonic frequencies present and accounted for, so this accomplishes what I wanted it to -- sending audio to a pair of DXR15's and through them to a pair of SVS PC13Ultra subs.

Much cheaper in terms of cost and space while deciding on whether I want to budget for spending 3-4 grand for a high end Marantz receiver pre-pro, like the 8802. I'll need to get a separate amplifier as well, if I want to utilize my SVS speakers again...

Jun 20, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #773 of 903
Any DC-1 owners out there also have experience with the Mojo? I've A/Bed them a little, and to these ears, the DC may have the edge in upper-end transients, but that's about it. I know about all the of the differences between the two as far as functionality goes, but I am curious to know if anyone else has thoughts on them from a purely SQ standpoint.

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #774 of 903
Any DC-1 owners out there also have experience with the Mojo? I've A/Bed them a little, and to these ears, the DC may have the edge in upper-end transients, but that's about it. I know about all the of the differences between the two as far as functionality goes, but I am curious to know if anyone else has thoughts on them from a purely SQ standpoint.
Are you using their respective headphone amps or are you just using them as dacs to another source?

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #776 of 903
That's interesting and what I was hoping for. Been curious about the mojo as a DAC for a 2 channel stereo system with floor standing speakers. Maybe it isn't right for that. However, my DC-1 seems to do very well with my big speakers. Particularly Ibasso dx90 coaxial to DC-1.

Jun 22, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #777 of 903

Hi,
I'm just bought Stealth 8 monitors and I'm very pleased with them!  sound great! and they also look even better than they do in photos.
Now I need a DAC.   I'm considering the Emotiva DC-1.    You mention you need to switch between headphones and line level.  Can't you use the jacks on the rear panel for line out ? and leave your headphones plugged into the front? 

also,  I recall seeing a post (maybe very early in this thread) about using heavy duty Pangea power cord.  Seems a bit surprising that the heavier gage cord would make a difference on a relatively low power needed for the DAC.   but  considering pwr cords for the powered speakers.

Jun 22, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #778 of 903
  Hi,
I'm just bought Stealth 8 monitors and I'm very pleased with them!  sound great! and they also look even better than they do in photos.
Now I need a DAC.   I'm considering the Emotiva DC-1.    You mention you need to switch between headphones and line level.  Can't you use the jacks on the rear panel for line out ? and leave your headphones plugged into the front? 

also,  I recall seeing a post (maybe very early in this thread) about using heavy duty Pangea power cord.  Seems a bit surprising that the heavier gage cord would make a difference on a relatively low power needed for the DAC.   but  considering pwr cords for the powered speakers.

No, when you plug in your phones the line level output is disabled, that was the issue I was discussing a possible change over.
But it was only something I mentioned in passing, worrying is probably unjustified and with hindsight it wasn't worth the ruckus it's raised.
After 2 years I wouldn't trade DC-1 for anything else and am still totally pleased.

IMHO, upscale power cords are a huge waste of money and I defy anyone to produce measurements or DBT results to support any claims of improved sound quality with their use. They along with expensive digital cables epitomize the snake-oil aspects of High End Audio.
Biased sighted "I reckon" sound quality pronouncements aren't worth the time it takes to read them, let alone spend money on.
You want proof, purchase one from a retailer that allows returns, insert them in your system and listen for a week or more.  If you think you hear a difference, have a mate come by and change out the cable in random order a minimum of 10 times. If you can't identify the correct cable at least 2 out of 3 times, send it back and spend the money on something that matters, like MUSIC.  
wink.gif

Enjoy

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #779 of 903
When I was researching the DC-1 prior to purchasing it I believe I read you can actually change it to where the line level out and headphones can be used at the same time.  I believe you have to open the DC-1 up and change something internally.  Probably best to visit Emotiva's lounge and ask there.

Jun 22, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #780 of 903
  When I was researching the DC-1 prior to purchasing it I believe I read you can actually change it to where the line level out and headphones can be used at the same time.  I believe you have to open the DC-1 up and change something internally.  Probably best to visit Emotiva's lounge and ask there.

Humm, You may be thinking about changing the jumpers that enable/disable the 2db 20hz bass boost of the headphone amp?
I did make a post at the Emo forums some time back with my idea to change to switching feature of the headphone jacks, but no one responded with anything like your talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back