Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Sep 1, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #586 of 903
I also bought mines second hand directly from Emotiva. The funny thing is that I specifically wrote them in emails to check for the asynchronous hum before sending it. I had a doubt about it since it was refurbished and thought that the reason for the original owner could have been the hum. Emotiva wrote back to me saying it should be fine as its all checked before going out. As soon as the package arrives, I hear that hum right away on the asynch setting. I just smiled for a straight minute like a fool.

I wrote on Emotiva lounge, emails, and even phoned them, but no decent help came through. Each time I was told to go through some basics step which I had obviously done in the first place. I tried to fix the ground loop but it didn't work either. Even though I carefully told them how I systematically diagnosed to make sure that it was the DC-1's fault, it kept coming back to my equipment being defective in some way. Just couldn't get them to give me a RMA.

I was beyond fed up at this point and decided to keep using it at synch mode. I guess this is what I get buying used from Emotiva. I loved my previous a-100 mini x amp. However, after this transaction, I most probably will not be buying from Emotiva again.

Problems arise in products. That is expected. No qualms with that. Have had defects with Audeze and Hifiman products in the past. No qualms. I'm used to it. It's to be expected from time to time with electronics.

HOWEVER, what the company does to resolve those problems is what shows their true colours. Customer service after purchase was terrible and unacceptable. Before this, I've never had a company trying to push so much fault on a customer.

Also, beside the above poster's asynch problem with second hand units, there were other refurbished buyers who also had the same asynch problems. I can only gather two things from this. Either Emotiva didn't check their returned units properly, or worse, they sent it anyway while knowing about the problem in those units. My thinking sounds cynical but if anyone had the same conversation as me with Emotiva, they would reach to similar conclusions.

As for the constantly cited "DC-1 is a very complex machine" excuse by Emotiva representatives: I don't care!!!! Get in line! There are a lot of manufacturers out there making far better sounding units with more complex configurations than DC-1, yet they don't treat their customers as idiots when they report problems with sufficient diagnostic, systematic elimination of components by controlled experimentation, and screening to ensure that it is indeed their unit's fault. Disgusting.

Sep 4, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #587 of 903
I will just add my experience, I have had to return 2 devices to Emotiva and the experience has always been great. I did find that picking up the phone simplified the experience dramatically, so I would definitely recommend that to anyone else who has tech issues with Emotiva devices.

Sep 14, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #588 of 903
I will just add my experience, I have had to return 2 devices to Emotiva and the experience has always been great. I did find that picking up the phone simplified the experience dramatically, so I would definitely recommend that to anyone else who has tech issues with Emotiva devices.

+ 1  I have had nothing but great service from Emotiva from both sales and customer service and would gladly recommend both the Stealth DC-1 as a piece of equipment and Emotiva as a company.

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #590 of 903
Is it ok to stand the DC-1 on its side and use it that way? Trying to save a little space on the current stereo rack (ikea expedit)

The venting slots are on the top and bottom, and the DC-1 generates significant heat. Personally I would not be comfortable with my unit stood on it's side, that will definitely interfere with the convection cooling. In fact I put some taller Pangea Pico feet under mine to get better air flow.

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #591 of 903
Is it ok to stand the DC-1 on its side and use it that way? Trying to save a little space on the current stereo rack (ikea expedit)

I​ have not tried mine that way.  However I can not imagine an issue with it sitting on end...

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #595 of 903
We've never tried one that way, but it should work.... (but, yes, it may run a little cooler right side up).

I'm more concerned that you make sure that the DC-1 has plenty of air flow - especially if you run it on its side. The DC-1 does generate significant heat, so you definitely do NOT want to wedge it in where it doesn't have clear air flow, or where the vents on the top or bottom are restricted of blocked.

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #596 of 903
I just noticed this post - so, please disregard this reply if you have already been taken care of. I'm not sure who you talked to, or the exact circumstances, but I can't understand why you didn't eventually get your DC-1 fixed. The problem you're describing is a bit of an odd one, and is sometimes intermittent, which could be why it didn't show up when we tested the unit here. (The ASRC we use is usually very reliable, but we got a few bad ones in one batch). We've only had a few units with that problem, and it does act a lot like a ground loop, which might explain both why whoever you talked to wasn't familiar with it, and why they walked you through the diagnostics for that sort of thing. (And, yes, most DAC support calls we get really don't turn out to be a hardware problem, so our support guys do tend to assume that's the case until until after a pretty exhaustive set of diagnostics.)

So, if you haven't already been taken care of (I can't look up your name from your info here), call in and get an RMA, and we'll get you taken care of. (We now have a Canadian repair facility, so you won't have to pay two-way shipping to the US any more either.) 

(Note: Our support folks don't all read Head-Fi, so don't expect whoever you talk to on the phone to necessarily have read this post... so, if you run into someone not familiar with this particular problem, feel free to copy it into an e-mail
wink.gif

Quote:
I also bought mines second hand directly from Emotiva. The funny thing is that I specifically wrote them in emails to check for the asynchronous hum before sending it. I had a doubt about it since it was refurbished and thought that the reason for the original owner could have been the hum. Emotiva wrote back to me saying it should be fine as its all checked before going out. As soon as the package arrives, I hear that hum right away on the asynch setting. I just smiled for a straight minute like a fool.

I wrote on Emotiva lounge, emails, and even phoned them, but no decent help came through. Each time I was told to go through some basics step which I had obviously done in the first place. I tried to fix the ground loop but it didn't work either. Even though I carefully told them how I systematically diagnosed to make sure that it was the DC-1's fault, it kept coming back to my equipment being defective in some way. Just couldn't get them to give me a RMA.

I was beyond fed up at this point and decided to keep using it at synch mode. I guess this is what I get buying used from Emotiva. I loved my previous a-100 mini x amp. However, after this transaction, I most probably will not be buying from Emotiva again.

Problems arise in products. That is expected. No qualms with that. Have had defects with Audeze and Hifiman products in the past. No qualms. I'm used to it. It's to be expected from time to time with electronics.

HOWEVER, what the company does to resolve those problems is what shows their true colours. Customer service after purchase was terrible and unacceptable. Before this, I've never had a company trying to push so much fault on a customer.

Also, beside the above poster's asynch problem with second hand units, there were other refurbished buyers who also had the same asynch problems. I can only gather two things from this. Either Emotiva didn't check their returned units properly, or worse, they sent it anyway while knowing about the problem in those units. My thinking sounds cynical but if anyone had the same conversation as me with Emotiva, they would reach to similar conclusions.

As for the constantly cited "DC-1 is a very complex machine" excuse by Emotiva representatives: I don't care!!!! Get in line! There are a lot of manufacturers out there making far better sounding units with more complex configurations than DC-1, yet they don't treat their customers as idiots when they report problems with sufficient diagnostic, systematic elimination of components by controlled experimentation, and screening to ensure that it is indeed their unit's fault. Disgusting.

Nov 5, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #598 of 903
Is it true choice for my studio? Is it linear and reference?
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not 100% sure of what your asking but I believe you'd be very happy using the DC-1 in a pro or semi-pro environment.  The sound quality is beyond reproach and with the pro balanced outputs and precision balanced differnetial DAC makes for a great fit with other pro equipment. I find the noise floor totally silent even with my most sensitive equipment. Maybe Keith from Emo will be able to add something here.

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #600 of 903
Is there a reason why I can barely tell a difference going from my cheap Sony bdp-s380 Blu ray player via BJC coaxial cable to DC-1. The Sounds as good or better actually. Am I possibly connecting it wrong? Or would an upgrade be the better move?

I do like the sound coming from my laptop, via usb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back