Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Feb 24, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #723 of 903
The DACs are balanced, i.e. provide both regular and inverted signals.  And it's dual mono, so there are two separate DACs, one for each channel.

The amp is most definitely not balanced.  

I'm not sure (and @KeithEmo could possibly provide details) if the balanced outputs are summed (invert+sum)/2 I guess or if they just put the non-inverted signal.

The outputs on the back are fully balanced...

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #724 of 903
  The DACs are balanced, i.e. provide both regular and inverted signals.  And it's dual mono, so there are two separate DACs, one for each channel.

I'm not sure (and @KeithEmo could possibly provide details) if the balanced outputs are summed (invert+sum)/2 I guess or if they just put the non-inverted signal.

You have to be specific about which "amp" your talking about..
The pre-amp amp stage that drives the rear balanced outputs is fully balanced
The headphone output stage is single ended.

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #725 of 903

Yes, the balanced outputs are indeed summed (differenced) from both the inverted and non-inverted output of the DAC chip
wink_face.gif

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #728 of 903
Yes to both.

When you set the Volume to fixed, the signal path remains the same, and the level is locked at 0 dB.

However, since the DC-1 uses a digitally controlled analog ladder network volume control, which has noise and distortion that are as good as, or better than, those of the line level gain stage itself, and near perfect channel tracking, there would really be no benefit to bypassing the volume control.

Quote:
  Its probly answered before..but gonna ask anyway

Is RCA analog out of DC1, a true line out when unit is run in fixed output mode. or is it some sort of volume fixed at 100% thing

Apr 5, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #731 of 903
Looking at upgrading my Titanium X-Fi to free up some space inside my PC (for a 2nd video card) and I have stumbled across the DC-1.  I would like an all in one DAC w/ headphone amp.  Not using super high end headphones, Denon AH-D600's and powered studio monitors.  Would this be a worthy successor, even an upgrade, from my internal DAC?  The "headphone amp" on the soundcard is pretty piss poor compared to anything else I've used, but I'm curious how good the amp on the DC-1 is compared to a dedicated Schiit headphone amp.  I'd prefer to just have an all in one solution rather than a stacked Schiit solution (I also don't like their silver color).  Any information would be helpful.

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #732 of 903
Yes, the DC-1 should work very well for you - both the DAC and headphone amp sections are very good.
(And, yes, the DACs included on sound cards are usually pretty bad.)
With the DC-1 you'll also pick up some neat extra features - like that it automatically remembers your headphone and main volume settings separately, and each returns to its previous setting when you switch back to it.

Quote:
  Looking at upgrading my Titanium X-Fi to free up some space inside my PC (for a 2nd video card) and I have stumbled across the DC-1.  I would like an all in one DAC w/ headphone amp.  Not using super high end headphones, Denon AH-D600's and powered studio monitors.  Would this be a worthy successor, even an upgrade, from my internal DAC?  The "headphone amp" on the soundcard is pretty piss poor compared to anything else I've used, but I'm curious how good the amp on the DC-1 is compared to a dedicated Schiit headphone amp.  I'd prefer to just have an all in one solution rather than a stacked Schiit solution (I also don't like their silver color).  Any information would be helpful.

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #733 of 903
I second the master of emotiva. I think this is the best DAC/HPA combo around. The sound is spectacular with a wide open sound and a great warm but analytical quality. I also have a Schiit Fulla so not the component system but their portable all-in-one. They are in different price groupings but I like the DC-1 better. In my mind the DAC could not get better with out being R2R.

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #734 of 903

When first announced, I ordered a Cavalli Liquid Carbon. A lot of my headphones have balanced cabling, so I wanted a balanced amp.  While looking for a DAC to go with the Cavalli amp, I stumbled on the DC-1.  It was a good size and had all of the features that I wanted in a DAC, so I bought it.  The DC-1 headphone amp was a bonus, which I used while waiting for the Liquid Carbon.  It's quite good.  If I wasn't looking for balanced, I would be quite happy with the DC-1 amp section. 

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #735 of 903

For monitors, it is fine. I use my DC-1 to drive monitors and it works flawlessly. The inputs and outputs meet my requirement perfectly. However, the headphone amplifier is meh for me. So I exclusively use the DC-1 in a 2.0 home theatre speaker setup.

For my desktop rig, where I need both headphone and speaker control, I use my Dangerous Source. Its headphone amplifier section is definitely better than the DC-1 and works with a wider variety of headphones. I even run my HD 800 off the Dangerous Source. It costs more than the DC-1, but if you can pull it, its the better solution. However, do take into account that the DC-1 has a remote which you can control from far. With the Dangerous Source, you have to turn the knob...sound vs. convenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back