Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Feb 4, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #706 of 903
I was all set to 'upgrade' to El Capitan. Apple knows what it's doing right? But I read the reviews first. I'm pretty shocked reading about all the devices that no longer seem too.
work. Apple seems to have crippled icloud if you have a Macbook in the mix, not running El Capitan as well. It's a way to move you too El Capitan. I like My Dac 1 better than my Bifrost or the DAC in my hdvd800.
I'm glad it's still working with the Mac. Sheesh Apple!

Wow that is impressive, I may need to look at the Dac-1 again.

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #707 of 903
Its an impressive device. I think it is the most feature packed while holding true quality high end sound that you can buy in that price range. Nothing else in the price range has true monaural and balanced pathways. Also the DAC sounds fantastic. With my HE-400i and this devices I find that it drives them with ease and with a neutrality I have not heard from other amps in the price range. Would a more expensive amp sound better? maybe. Do the more expensive DAC/Amp combos have more features (Filters, Optional Balanced Headphone out) yes they do. To my ears, the Emotiva DC-1 sounds as good as the 1k+ amplifiers I have heard.

In other words for sure audition one. You won't be disappointed.

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #709 of 903
I would second those comments

+3.  I love the sound of the DC-1 with my Senn HD -650s also with my HSU speaker system. Will probably be using it till it or me die of old age.  

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #711 of 903
Does the DC1 run HD650 properly? How is bass

MHO is that the DC-1 drives the HD 650 as good as anything you'll find. Bass is very solid and clean as you would expect of a amp with a large power supply that can deliver all the current you'll ever need and hold a solid grasp on the  drivers. Factory configuration is set for a 2db boost at 20hz which matches well with the Senn's but boost can be disabled by moving 1 jumper on the circuit board if you desire.
Emotiva offers a 30 free trial, don't like it for any reason, send it back. They are on backorder right now though, happens all the time, supplies never last long.
https://emotiva.com/products/dacs/electronics/dacs/stealth-dc-1

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #714 of 903

what are you using for your integrated amp?

I use a Lyr as the amp.  Plenty of power for orthos and high z cans like the HD600.

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #715 of 903

I see that you have both the HE-500 and the HE-400i? Which do you find more fun to listen to? I have been looking at the Schiit Lyr 2 with the rollable tube on the website. I got into this hobby though to build my own tube amplifiers so I am going to start with something like the Project Starlight or one of the ones from garage1217. Those seem very similar to the Lyr 2 but maybe a tad more fun because at least with the Ember you can roll tubes and op-amps.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #716 of 903

I see that you have both the HE-500 and the HE-400i? Which do you find more fun to listen to? I have been looking at the Schiit Lyr 2 with the rollable tube on the website. I got into this hobby though to build my own tube amplifiers so I am going to start with something like the Project Starlight or one of the ones from garage1217. Those seem very similar to the Lyr 2 but maybe a tad more fun because at least with the Ember you can roll tubes and op-amps.

I use a Parasound Zamp to drive the HE-500s via the speaker taps.  With the HE-400i I generally use the Lyr however the DC-1 also drive them fine.

As far as fun listening to I would probably say the HE-400i.

If you are inerested in tube rolling check out these threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/755300/schiit-lyr-lyr-2-tube-compatibility-list
http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers

I also upgraded the op-amp to a Buron Audio V5 Dual SS discrete op-amp.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #717 of 903

I am interested in running headphones out of the speaker taps and pre-outs. Can you tell me more. Since there is not a balanced headphone out on the Stealth DC-1 i was thinking about using the balanced pre-out to run headphones. I have yet to audition the higher end HiFiMan headphones yet but I am looking forward to the day to hear the differences between the 560 and the 400i in person.

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #718 of 903
I asked this question a few days ago. Keith recommend to not run balanced out to headphones. However, volume control will likely work. I imagine the results would not be ideal, based on Keith's response.

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #720 of 903
I have only heard the Audioengine DAC D1 time before and it was just ok. The Emotiva DC-1 is far far better device for a few reasons:
1) the DAC chip is superior
2) DC-1 is balanced on the DAC and AMP

The reality is the DC-1 is the best DAC/HP Amp Combo around for the money. I thought the D1 sounded flat, not dynamic and did not have a great sound stage comparatively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back