Emotiva Pro airmotiv4 Loudspeakers Review
Apr 12, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #196 of 413
oh crap. looks like there is a very slight bit of noise at any level. maybe i shouldn't be using the stock rca cables that came with the audinst lol.

but for all my uses, it has a black background.  the hiss is barely perceptible until i put my ear to within a few inches of the speaker.

Apr 28, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #197 of 413
Just bit the bullet and ordered the 5s to feed from a g-d NFB 17.2 that's on it's way as well, hoping they'll fill my medium sized living room with enough sound to "feel right" with the optoma HD33 projector...man cave could be complete (but i'm guessing i'll have to get a nice sub eventually)

I'll post my thoughts when they arrive :)

Apr 28, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #198 of 413
I'm selling my Emotiva Airmotiv 4 speakers for financial reasons. They are in working condition and have only been used for a couple of months. They're practically like new with the original box, cables, and everything that came with it. There's no scratches on it, or any signs of wear. Price includes shipping and paypal fees. Here's the for-sale thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/607770/for-sale-emotiva-airmotiv-4

May 1, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #199 of 413
most of the time hiss from speakers or tube amps are caused by the power, I was using Musical Paradise MP302 MK2, it was hissing CRAZILY LOUD, but then I unplugged my laptop power supply from the mains of my room, PROBLEM SOLVED.

May 8, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #201 of 413
Great stuff Steve - got any measurements ?    
wink.gif

(relax - I'm only jerking your chain after reading Tyll's May update)

May 11, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #203 of 413
Two days after my 5s arrived...C'est la vie lol
cool.gif

I must say though they're making wonderful paperweights/decorative boxes as I wait on my NFB 17.2 to arrive
popcorn.gif

Nice, and great album in your avatar!

May 13, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #204 of 413
At $350/$450, I'm thinking about upgrading to the 4's or 5's from my Audioengine A5. But is the difference worth it? I'd want a substantial improvement.

And is the only big improvement in bigger woofer size better, lower lows?

May 15, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #206 of 413
i had a direct comparison at my house between my pair of airmotiv 4s and my friend's audioengine 5+s. the emotivas blew them away, especially in bass response, the audioengines just roll off the bass wayyy too soon and too steep compared to the airmotivs. strange, considering the audioengines have a half inch bigger woofer on my emotivas.  if you're on a budget like me, go for the 4s. if not and you want deeper bass, the bigger the cone is better (up to a point).

May 16, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #208 of 413
Quote:
strange, considering the audioengines have a half inch bigger woofer on my emotivas

Sometimes it's not the inches, it's what you do with them that counts.

May 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #210 of 413
I was wondering how the Pro 6s compare to KRK's Rokit RP10-3s considering that they make use of a dedicated subwoofer and the Emotivas don't. Aside from the 10Hz bass difference in extension, does anyone think the Emotivas can outperform the KRKs in bass response? Just curious.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back