Emotiva Pro airmotiv4 Loudspeakers Review
Jun 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #226 of 413
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mackie-SRM1801-18in-1000W-Powered-Subwoofer-Black-106063407-i1536479.gc

themansub.wav

I kind of want my pair of 450s back...and 2 of these bad boys...but then the police would probably arrest me for having an earthquake machine.

Quote:

Oh yes.

For the subs, consider HSU and SVS, two very fine companies with very fine subs. Lusting after a VTF-15 right now. 

If only.

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #227 of 413
Quote:

As for subs I agree that we pay a lot for those last 100hz. I'll have to hear the bass on these before deciding if I want one or not. That was the main motivation to buy the 6s was more extension.

I think you'll like the bass on the 6's. The technical sales director at Emotiva Emailed me in response to a question about the bass extension on these and said that tuning of the drivers and equalizers as well as the cabinet and bass port dimensions contributed to the near sub woofer-like bass performance (i.e. their 41Hz bass extension). He also added that he tested them in a studio and did an A/B comparison with other monitors with sub woofers and noted that there wasn't a need to add a sub to the the 6s since their low end was so responsive and just barely behind every other sub. I should also add that I found a review of a long-time audiophile who fell in love with the bass of the 6s.  
So hopefully you like them enough to completely burn them in and do a review. 

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #228 of 413
If they're strong to 40hz I probably won't need a sub. Depending on how much rumble I want I suppose...but a nice sub that hits 25hz is always a welcome addition. 

I'd like to try my hand at reviewing again so I do plan on doing a comparison here mainly focusing on headphones vs speakers (done a million times, but always interesting).

Quote:
I think you'll like the bass on the 6's. The technical sales director at Emotiva Emailed me in response to a question about the bass extension on these and said that tuning of the drivers and equalizers as well as the cabinet and bass port dimensions contributed to the near sub woofer-like bass performance (i.e. their 41Hz bass extension). He also added that he tested them in a studio and did an A/B comparison with other monitors with sub woofers and noted that there wasn't a need to add a sub to the the 6s since their low end was so responsive and just barely behind every other sub. I should also add that I found a review of a long-time audiophile who fell in love with the bass of the 6s.  
So hopefully you like them enough to completely burn them in and do a review. 

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #229 of 413
Quote:
If they're strong to 40hz I probably won't need a sub. Depending on how much rumble I want I suppose...but a nice sub that hits 25hz is always a welcome addition. 

I'd like to try my hand at reviewing again so I do plan on doing a comparison here mainly focusing on headphones vs speakers (done a million times, but always interesting).

Looking forward to it.

I just want something that goes to 40, that's it. It's also nice that they're powered.

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #230 of 413
I find it interesting that people are in search of monitors that can extend down to low bass regions to avoid using a sub woofer and nobody seems to have reviewed or tested an active monitor that makes use of a dedicated sub woofer for each channel i.e. KRK's Rokit RP 10-3s. They extend as low as 31Hz and I believe them since each woofer is 10 inches in diameter. Anybody else here wanted to try these?

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #231 of 413
Quote:
I find it interesting that people are in search of monitors that can extend down to low bass regions to avoid using a sub woofer and nobody seems to have reviewed or tested an active monitor that makes use of a dedicated sub woofer for each channel i.e. KRK's Rokit RP 10-3s. They extend as low as 31Hz and I believe them since each woofer is 10 inches in diameter. Anybody else here wanted to try these?

You mean a three-way speaker.  A subwoofer is a separate, stand-alone (usually) lone bass driver that combines the left and right channel singnals.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #232 of 413
Quote:

You mean a three-way speaker.  A subwoofer is a separate, stand-alone (usually) lone bass driver that combines the left and right channel singnals.

Coincidentally i was thinking almost the same question,although technically i love music but no way i could call myself an audiophile,cause i have no technical knowledge.
I decided to make the big step in buying an hi-end bookshelf speaker system but some question about the need of a subwoofer confuse me about the whole thing,i hope some of you more experienced guy could show me the right path in make the good choice,as where i live i have no way to audition any hi-end setup myself.
i am not a basshead,but many time i like to hear some huge bassy punchy sound via any electronic music genres or via movies,so: 
I can listen alternatively to a 2.0 (let say rock musik) and then 2.1 (for bass mood) just by turning on the sub without altering negatively any of those two systems, or without the need to setting up the whole system compatibility every time i need to switch between those to setups?
any answer is welcome
Salute
Listening to - Draconian - A rose for the apocalipse

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #233 of 413
I'll be making my own impressions thread for the 6s, but I figured I'd post the first of which here as well. Right out of the box they sound good and the bass is well extended...but it doesn't kick very hard. Not in the lower ends anyway. 

For most it won't be an issue at all, but for people hungry for low end rumble you'll still need a sub.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #235 of 413
http://www.head-fi.org/t/613467/emotiva-airmotiv-6-continuing-impressions#post_8441532

Further impressions will be posted here as to not muddy up this thread anymore.

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #236 of 413
I just pulled the trigger on the airmotiv 4s and I am very happy with the result.  Just using them as computer speakers w/out sub and since my previous experience with Emotiva is great I decided on these over AudioEngine or something from Swan.  I am not a basshead so I very happy with the extension down to 60hz and may pair with a sub in the future.  Tweeter is sweet.

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #237 of 413
I have ordered a pair of airmotiv 5 on Monday to be delivered to Hawaii. Received the shipping email but no tracking number included. Login to the website, also no tracking number. Anybody face this issue before?

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #238 of 413
Quote:
I have ordered a pair of airmotiv 5 on Monday to be delivered to Hawaii. Received the shipping email but no tracking number included. Login to the website, also no tracking number. Anybody face this issue before?

Well... I just cancelled my order for the pair of Airmotiv 5 cause I'll be moving back to continental US in few months time. I don't want to pay extra shipping to Hawaii and then pay another cost to ship it to continental US when I move. Good customer service though.

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #239 of 413
Nice to see this thread. I ordered my airmotiv4 speakers on Tuesday, 6/19 -- $319 total with their summer promo! -- and received a shipping notice about 8 hours later. They are scheduled to arrive on Monday, 6/25.

I chose the 4s because I've been impressed with the cost-to-performance ratio of Emotiva products, and I'm happy to be able to run a balanced signal out of my Grace m903 into the speakers. I will report my observations next week.

Jun 23, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #240 of 413
WOAH. How long is that going on? The 6s were too big for me but I was planning on a pair of 4s down the line because I think they'd be perfect.

Quote:
Nice to see this thread. I ordered my airmotiv4 speakers on Tuesday, 6/19 -- $319 total with their summer promo! -- and received a shipping notice about 8 hours later. They are scheduled to arrive on Monday, 6/25.

I chose the 4s because I've been impressed with the cost-to-performance ratio of Emotiva products, and I'm happy to be able to run a balanced signal out of my Grace m903 into the speakers. I will report my observations next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back