Emotiva Pro airmotiv4 Loudspeakers Review
Apr 8, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #406 of 413
The Outlaw M8 would sound pretty good. The problem is integrating the sub. If you buy a sub without a line out filter like the SB-1000 has, the typical configuration for you is to set the sub low pass crossover dial to the low frequency roll off of the speakers so that it fills in where the speakers stop producing much bass. Most home audio setups use AVRs with bass management that allows for choosing a higher crossover point because the AVR will run a high pass filter on the signal sent to the speakers. I would be surprised if your Oppo has bass management built in (it might). And if it's an LFE out, it might just be the LFE signal, which is the .1 in 5.1 multichannel audio. The subwoofer out on an AVR includes the .1 channel and whatever bass is sent to the sub from the other speakers due to the crossover settings in the bass management.

So do you want a sub just to add onto the bottom end? Or would you like to improve on some of the midbass that the Airmotiv is producing? I thought the midbass on the Airmotivs was a touch muddy, compared to what I'm used to (not bad for a little 4", though).

The SB-1000 is not really bigger than the M8. It's an ultra compact 12" sealed sub, a 13" cube. But you will feel either sub some if you turn it up and your room is not too large, with the SB-1000 with the potential to get louder without losing composure. And the SB-1000 is just a better SQ sub.

As for blu-rays, a sub would make a difference.

As for pre-amps, I use an Schiit Asgard 2 headphone amp that has pre-amp outs. Awesome headphone amp, and works great as a pre-amp, too :)

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #407 of 413
So do you want a sub just to add onto the bottom end? Or would you like to improve on some of the midbass that the Airmotiv is producing? I thought the midbass on the Airmotivs was a touch muddy, compared to what I'm used to (not bad for a little 4", though).

If a sub can add low bass AND improve the the midbass then...great!

I contacted Oppo and they said I can switch the Audio to 2.1 and have LFE information sent through the RCA outputs while my Airmotivs are connected through the XLRs.
I can set the crossover frequencies from 40Hz to 250hz.

About the Preamp...I would need a Preamp that can adjust bass

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #408 of 413
If you get a good quality sub and cross it over a little higher. Yeah. You can improve on some of the midbass.

So if you go with a sub with that Oppo setup with the crossover, why do you need a pre-amp, too? Or do you not have volume control with the Oppo?

Apr 9, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #409 of 413
I was thinking of a Preamp instead of a Subwoofer.
I realized earlier today that I do like the sound of the Airmotivs but for only some BluRays.

However others need a little bass boosting

May 12, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #410 of 413
Didn't expect QMS speakers can be found here. I auditioned Q5 which was the very first pair of active speakers which touched my heart. Too bad local market cannot accommodate one more band so... I did not get mine.

Jul 5, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #411 of 413
The airmotiv4 can really benefit from a preamp, and with headphone amp they can do double duty. I find all monitors from genelecs down to these guys to be pretty harsh and adding a preamp of your flavor really helps them sound more musical.

Most monitors are made for tune for professional use or an average buyers and it would be best to tune it flat. 

Mar 16, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #413 of 413
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a the QMS version of this speaker. Just wondering since this is now going on 4 years if there is any other powered speakers to consider that be any better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back