Emotiva Big Ego and Little Ego
Oct 28, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #31 of 45
Sorry to trouble you, but would you mind letting us know the differences you hear between the two?

They're priced quite similarly, and the Emotiva DACs can do double duty as portable solutions; I'm sure there are people as interested in this as I am. =)

Oct 28, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #32 of 45
  Sorry to trouble you, but would you mind letting us know the differences you hear between the two?

They're priced quite similarly, and the Emotiva DACs can do double duty as portable solutions; I'm sure there are people as interested in this as I am. =)

To start, I don't think it's fair to compare the Little Ego directly to the Modi Multibit. 
1. The Egos are combo Amp/DACs.  The Modi is just a DAC, you still need an amp.  Do you plan to use the Ego as a DAC only?
2. The Little Ego has USB only (The Big Ego has more connectivity options but I haven't heard it).  The ModiMB has USB/Optical/Coax.
3. The Little Ego cost me $99 on sale (the sale might still be going).  The ModiMB / Magni2U combo is $250 + $150 before tax and shipping, so approximately $400.  You could save $50 by getting the standard Magni2.

For me, the Little Ego is a great desktop or semi-portable solution for times where I'm not as concerned about ultimate sound quality but instead prefer portability.  The ModiMB / Magni2U combo is great for home use in my main stereo or desktop where I'd like a bit better sound quality and care less about portability.

If I had to describe differences between the Little Ego and ModiMB / Magni2U combo, I'd say the obvious:  ModiMB / Magni2U has more power, better dynamics, a greater sense of space, much better imaging, less glare in the treble...all things you would expect at a higher pricepoint and with better tech (the Multibit aspect of the Modi).

Oct 28, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #34 of 45
OK in that case, I can say this:

1. The ModiMB has a dedicated AC power supply, where the Big Ego is USB powered.  Modi wins.
2. The ModiMB has USB/optical/coax inputs, like I stated above, and a line level output.  After doing a bit more research, I see the Big Ego has only the USB input, but separate headphone, line level, and digital outputs.  Modi wins for me.
3. The ModiMB has a true multibit DAC chip and Schiit's proprietary digital filter, the Big Ego has a decent Delta Sigma chip and standard selectable digital filters.  Modi wins.
4. I haven't tried my Little Ego as a DAC only so I can't comment on that.  But the ModiMB is pretty amazing for the price and was a noticeable step up from the Modi 2 Uber 4396 I had before.
5. There are some other differences, like filter options and higher res playback on the Big Ego, but I can't comment on that.

Hopefully someone else has some input.

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #35 of 45
Picked a used Little E. It is a smoothie, like it much better the Dacport Slim which does have more "bite" but is too bright to my liking. Too bad I can't warm up my hands with the Ego :)

Jan 3, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #36 of 45
Got myself a Big Ego to run off a Linux laptop running Roon. I've been very impressed with the device. Sound quality is what you would expect if not a little better than expected. The device was plug and play on linux and Roon Server. I haven't messed around too much with the digital filters but will hopefully have some time to do so in the coming weeks.

For reference this setup is running linux (Roon Server) to Emotiva Big Ego line out to a Marantz AV. Speakers are Definitive Tech BP8 and are a pretty good match for this setup. Happy to answer any questions or try some things if anybody has questions regarding the Big Ego.

Nov 19, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #37 of 45
Big Ego is on sale right now for $66, just grabbed one, hell yeah. Literally almost bought one for $219 yesterday but held off, had no idea the sale was coming, hahaha. Perfect!

Nov 19, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #38 of 45
I just saw the email from Emotiva and was on the fence about buying one...just now decided to buy one and they're sold out. :frowning2:

Novacav, I think you'll enjoy it!

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #39 of 45
Big Ego is on sale right now for $66, just grabbed one, hell yeah. Literally almost bought one for $219 yesterday but held off, had no idea the sale was coming, hahaha. Perfect!
I picked one up as well. I've been wanting a portable solution for my laptop and for $66 it was an instant decision. I also like the line out option for a more permanent desktop solution if desired. All in all a great deal.

Nov 21, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #40 of 45
I picked one up as well. I've been wanting a portable solution for my laptop and for $66 it was an instant decision. I also like the line out option for a more permanent desktop solution if desired. All in all a great deal.

Same. Mine just shipped. Thinking of getting a portable amp so I don't have to use the digital volume control.

Nov 27, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #42 of 45
Has anyone used the big ego as a usb to toslink converter for use with another dac? Is that even possible? I saw that it has toslink out so that is my guess?

Just got the Big Ego in. Page 3 of the user manual says it does exactly as you describe. There is an OPT button that toggles the it on/off. When on, no sound comes out of the headphone out.

Nov 27, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #43 of 45
Just got the Big Ego in. Page 3 of the user manual says it does exactly as you describe. There is an OPT button that toggles the it on/off. When on, no sound comes out of the headphone out.

Thanks! I've got an optical cable on the way. I'm going to see if this helps with a strange small issue I have with my system. Somehow I'm creating a ground loop from my headphones to my hands and then to my iPad. When I have my iPad plugged into the wall and charging, as long as I've got my headphones on and am holding the iPad it creates a small ground hum. Its really weird. I never realized that my headphones and body conducted electricity so well! I was thinking maybe the optical cable would be one less direct electrical connection and might lessen the hum. If it does not work then I can always charge the iPad with a battery pack though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back