Emotiva BasX A2m Flex Speaker + Headphone Amp
Sep 13, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #61 of 80
Any chance some one can chime in on amp background noise for headphones with higher sensitivity (Ex. 103dB) with jumpers? The ones mentioned here so far seems a bit lower on sensitivity and wondering if I will hear some hiss etc.

I have an Emotiva A-100 which from what I have read is the predecessor to the A2M ( which seems to be a cosmetic update of the A-100). IME with higher efficiency headphones there's no need to use the jumpers. If you do you're bound to hear some noise. I use my A-100 for my inexpensive planars, which are not particularly efficient, and the A-100 loafs along driving them with ease in normal mode. With the jumpers in having the volume knob at 9 o'clock is quite loud.

This jumper feature was created for very inefficient headphones like the Hifiman HE6, for which it is said to work quite well. There's no doubt that for power to price the A-100/A2M is an incredible bargain.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #62 of 80
Can confirm the A2m is a great amp for the Hifiman HE6, at least in jumper mode. I haven't listened to it with any sensitive headphones, but I have listened to the HE6, my AKG Sextett, and Beyer DT880/600 on the A2m and there's zero background noise on these headphones, even in jumper mode. I don't know what non-jumper mode sounds like, I installed the jumpers the instant I unboxed mine because I knew I needed it for the headphones I got the amp for.

Sep 13, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #63 of 80
Can confirm the A2m is a great amp for the Hifiman HE6, at least in jumper mode. I haven't listened to it with any sensitive headphones, but I have listened to the HE6, my AKG Sextett, and Beyer DT880/600 on the A2m and there's zero background noise on these headphones, even in jumper mode. I don't know what non-jumper mode sounds like, I installed the jumpers the instant I unboxed mine because I knew I needed it for the headphones I got the amp for.
Same here. I installed jumpers right away and it makes my Sundaras (sensitivity 94 dB) come alive. I’ve also used the Drop/Sennheiser HD6xx headphones. But I can’t find what sensitivity they are except they are close to HD650s, which are supposed to be 103dB. I never heard any noise in those headphones. The only noise I’ve heard is from some bad tubes I had installed in my tube preamp. Once I switched out the tubes, it’s dead quiet. Hard to beat this amp for it’s price.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #64 of 80
I'm trying to find a youtube video on how to put the Emotiva A2mini into direct mode because the manual isn't clear enough for me. Does anyone here know of a good youtube video I can use?

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #65 of 80
I'm trying to find a youtube video on how to put the Emotiva A2mini into direct mode because the manual isn't clear enough for me. Does anyone here know of a good youtube video I can use?
This is the video I used. Skip to 5:20 mark or so. And yea, it’s the A100, but they are basically same amps.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #67 of 80
Nov 11, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #69 of 80
Very well! It sounds great with the HE6SEV2
Sweet! I've been running the same setup for a while now with a Musician Pegasus Dac, this setup is it for me.

Dec 6, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #71 of 80
My first post (question) in this thread:
Q1: I understand this amp is "always on", once it's plugged in - I plan to control it by plugging it into my power strip - will I encounter a turn-on/turn-off transient through my cans that should be avoided ??
Q2: Can I depend on that new electronic free-wheeling volume knob to remain at the same level when I turn it on as when I turned it off ??
Q3: And, oh yeah: can anyone confirm the spkr outputs share a common ground ??
Folks, I've searched this and even called Emotiva twice - no answer yet: guess ya hafta actually have one in hand to really know.

Dec 6, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #72 of 80
My first post (question) in this thread:
Q1: I understand this amp is "always on", once it's plugged in - I plan to control it by plugging it into my power strip - will I encounter a turn-on/turn-off transient through my cans that should be avoided ??
Q2: Can I depend on that new electronic free-wheeling volume knob to remain at the same level when I turn it on as when I turned it off ??
Q3: And, oh yeah: can anyone confirm the spkr outputs share a common ground ??
Folks, I've searched this and even called Emotiva twice - no answer yet: guess ya hafta actually have one in hand to really know.
Q1. I have my amp plugged into a power strip. But there is a switch on the back of the amp to put it in "stand by" mode, which is basically off. If you put it in stand by mode, it turns the amp off in 5 minutes with no music source. So I either flip the switch to stand by mode and wait for it to turn itself off or hit the power off switch on the power strip and then it turns off. Always turn the amp off first before preamp and sources. And turn the amp on last. And I always unplug my cans before turning the amp off to avoid any issues.
Q2. I leave the amp on fixed gain. Which is the other switch on back of amp. I did not like the free spinning volume knob, so I use a preamp to control all volumes as it has a hard stop. I didn't trust the free spinning knob.
Q3. Sorry, not sure. I don't really know what to look for. I took case off once to install the jumper to put it in direct drive mode, but that's it.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #73 of 80
Anybody running a tube pre amp into this A2M curious how i sounds ? Would you say this amp is neutral sounding ? warm ?
Yes. I have a freya N with tubes and it sounds great with the tubes! It's addicting to listen to when the tubes are engaged. It depends on the tubes. I had some tubes that were neutral and I didn't like it. I preferred warmer sounding tubes.

Dec 6, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #75 of 80
I had thought about using my Vali 2++ as a preamp to get some tubey flavor. I was told that since it's a hybrid amp I probably wouldn't notice much. Good idea but with the wrong result.
Yea. I tried the Vali 2++, but would get bad transients through the speakers when shutting it off. Took it out of the chain and sprung for a freya. Never had that issue again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back