Emotiva A-100
Apr 12, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #286 of 759
Not at all......

However, even high quality Volume pots tend to have some channel imbalance down near the bottom of their range, while even low cost attenuators tend to be very precise.

Is there any reason other than price that fixed attenuators would be preferable to a passive pre-amp (ex. JDS Labs OL Switcher @ $45)? Assuming that your pre has a quality volume pot, you shouldn't be introducing channel imbalance. In my system I put the A100 downstream from my Asgard's pre-out, so I can infinitely vary the input signal to match whatever headphones I plug into the A100. This way you don't have to settle for a particular level of attenuation.

Apr 14, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #289 of 759
Other than headphone jack, what else is improved in Basx a-100 from old model

I'm curious about this as well. I have had a mini-x for a few years, before the basX was offered.

As mentioned, the single-ended headphone jack. The "special" headphone feature allowing the headphones to be run at full amplifier power with the following specs:

8 Ohms: 50 watts / channel
33 Ohms: 12 watts / channel
47 Ohms: 8.5 watts / channel
150 Ohms: 2.6 watts / channel
300 Ohms: 1.3 watts / channel
600 Ohms: 0.6 watts / channel

Also, the on/off/auto power trigger I believe. I'm sure some upgrades to the internals which others are more qualified to answer. There is even one for sale on this forum! (wink...wink...)

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #290 of 759
Hey guys. I need your help.
I have a combo of Fostex A4BL + Emotiva A100 Bas X as my external amplifier for some hard cans.
And whenever I'm using my Shure 1540 I can hear EMI hiss A LOT (can hear much less with Senh hd600 and Shure 846). Those cans are pretty sensitive unlike my many others (Fostex, Senh, Sony, M1060 etc)

If I USB cable is unplugged from A4 hiss is almost gone (stock silver cable). I thought that if I will get myself AQ Jitterbug it will fix my problem but nope... no difference.

So my question is anyone of you have the same problem with A4 as or any other DAC and what is the way to fix that? So should I go and buy some fancy USB A-B cable? Or I should get Linear Power Supply for A4? Anything?

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #291 of 759
I have a combo of Fostex A4BL + Emotiva A100 Bas X as my external amplifier for some hard cans.
And whenever I'm using my Shure 1540 I can hear EMI hiss A LOT (can hear much less with Senh hd600 and Shure 846). Those cans are pretty sensitive unlike my many others (Fostex, Senh, Sony, M1060 etc)

If I USB cable is unplugged from A4 hiss is almost gone (stock silver cable). I thought that if I will get myself AQ Jitterbug it will fix my problem but nope... no difference.

So my question is anyone of you have the same problem with A4 as or any other DAC and what is the way to fix that? So should I go and buy some fancy USB A-B cable? Or I should get Linear Power Supply for A4? Anything?
You're pair 846 with these??

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #294 of 759
If you're hearing that sort of chortling noise that's typical of EMI, and it goes away when you disconnect the computer, or when the computer is powered down, then it's probably noise on the USB ground of the computer. The solution is to use a USB isolator. (A REAL galvanic isolator... not a noise filter type thingy like the Jitterbug. A fancy cable isn't going to help either, unless it includes a galvanic isolator. A different power supply MIGHT help - not because it's "better power", but because it's grounded slightly differently... but that's less likely to work.)

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #295 of 759
The Mini-X Gen2 also had the audio-on feature.
Besides the headphone output, the BasX version has a few other minor audio refinements... and should be a tiny bit quieter... but they're pretty close.

As mentioned, the single-ended headphone jack. The "special" headphone feature allowing the headphones to be run at full amplifier power with the following specs:

8 Ohms: 50 watts / channel
33 Ohms: 12 watts / channel
47 Ohms: 8.5 watts / channel
150 Ohms: 2.6 watts / channel
300 Ohms: 1.3 watts / channel
600 Ohms: 0.6 watts / channel

Also, the on/off/auto power trigger I believe. I'm sure some upgrades to the internals which others are more qualified to answer. There is even one for sale on this forum! (wink...wink...)

Apr 16, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #296 of 759
If you're hearing that sort of chortling noise that's typical of EMI, and it goes away when you disconnect the computer, or when the computer is powered down, then it's probably noise on the USB ground of the computer. The solution is to use a USB isolator. (A REAL galvanic isolator... not a noise filter type thingy like the Jitterbug. A fancy cable isn't going to help either, unless it includes a galvanic isolator. A different power supply MIGHT help - not because it's "better power", but because it's grounded slightly differently... but that's less likely to work.)

did another round of tests with MacBook Pro (on battery) instead of my mac pro as a source. Noise is still there but 20-30% less. With my LGv20 connected directly to Emotiva there is no hiss.

Apr 16, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #298 of 759
I have the 846 myself. When I hook it up to A100 the hiss I get is deafening.......take the jumpers off and everything's lovely once again......

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #300 of 759
Not at all......

However, even high quality Volume pots tend to have some channel imbalance down near the bottom of their range, while even low cost attenuators tend to be very precise.
I may be doing something like this as well. I will eventually need a passive pre-amp for use with other power amplifiers that don't have a volume control. Rather than have to buy attenuators now for the mini-X and a passive pre later I can save some money if you think that the end result is the same? You should bring back the Control Freak so I can buy the passive pre from Emotiva!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back