Emotiva A-100
Mar 23, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #616 of 759
I was gonna say as I was reading the thread, that sounded like the exact power issue I had with this amp. Honestly getting a powered USB hub helps tons
Thanks, I'm happy with the way things are at the moment really. As it is now I'm running out of spare USB ports in my desktop PC anyway (and I have quite a few of them).

Apr 1, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #617 of 759
What is the best way to put a volume mark on the knob? Are there any other reference marks I can use to make the mark more visible?

I am planning to pick one up in the next couple of months but I don't want to turn it too loud for obvious reasons

Apr 3, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #618 of 759
What is the best way to put a volume mark on the knob? Are there any other reference marks I can use to make the mark more visible?

I am planning to pick one up in the next couple of months but I don't want to turn it too loud for obvious reasons
I just cut a small triangle out of a plain white sticker and stuck it on. It's not permanent, so I can always remove it if selling, it's perfectly visible and cheap and easy to do.

KHCGSlQ.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #619 of 759
I haven't tried them on that knob...

But Sharpie markers come in metallic silver and gold... and they work pretty well on black surfaces.
(A single dot near one edge of the knob should do it.)

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #621 of 759
Interesting question.... and there isn't any specific reason that I know of.

All of our other gear hear at Emotiva uses encoders on the Volume control.
(With an encoder, you can't tell the setting from the position of the knob, so you don't put a reference mark on the knob.)

Since the A-100 is pretty much the only component we currently make that uses a potentiometer-style Volume control....
I guess nobody realized it would be nice to add that on this particular Volume knob.

Question for you, why wasn't a volume indicator put on the knob?

Apr 4, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #622 of 759
Interesting question.... and there isn't any specific reason that I know of.

All of our other gear hear at Emotiva uses encoders on the Volume control.
(With an encoder, you can't tell the setting from the position of the knob, so you don't put a reference mark on the knob.)

Since the A-100 is pretty much the only component we currently make that uses a potentiometer-style Volume control....
I guess nobody realized it would be nice to add that on this particular Volume knob.

Kind of makes sense, I am going to get one this summer, since I am in Canada, going to see if the dollar improves because I am going to take a beating on duties

Apr 11, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #623 of 759
These are not the jumpers, correct?

wutrthese.jpg

I can't seem to find a definitive image of the jumpers.

Apr 11, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #624 of 759
This is what the jumpers look like.... they are a little square bit of plastic - about 1/4" square and 1/8" thick - with some metal inside.
The end with the big opening gets pressed down over the two pins - and the little metal contact inside connects the two pins together.
(They actually come in a variety of colors, and there are shorter ones, and ones with an extra tab on top to hold onto, but these black ones are the most common.)

They are very commonly used in computers (computers commonly use two sizes - these are the bigger ones).
There should be a couple of them in the little baggie that came with the A-100.

These are not the jumpers, correct?

I can't seem to find a definitive image of the jumpers.
jumpers.jpg

Apr 11, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #625 of 759
This is what the jumpers look like.... they are a little square bit of plastic - about 1/4" square and 1/8" thick - with some metal inside.
The end with the big opening gets pressed down over the two pins - and the little metal contact inside connects the two pins together.
(They actually come in a variety of colors, and there are shorter ones, and ones with an extra tab on top to hold onto, but these black ones are the most common.)

They are very commonly used in computers (computers commonly use two sizes - these are the bigger ones).
There should be a couple of them in the little baggie that came with the A-100.

Ah ok thank you!

I just received a second-hand A-100 BasX today, and they didn't come with the jumpers in that case.

Seeing that you are a Member of the Trade of Emotiva, is it possible for Emotiva to send a couple of them to me?

May 22, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #630 of 759
but it's gonna be higher noise floor
I don’t notice the noise floor with the jumpers installed when using my Mod House Argons (based on T50RP MKII). I feel the sound is better with jumpers installed. I’d recommend giving it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back