Emotiva A-100
Jul 23, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #361 of 759
So I just purchased my unit and I have a ton of background noise with jumpers installed using my hd800S and focal elears. It's such a great amp but the noise floor is ridiculous. Now I see some people saying their is no background noise and some like me saying their clearly is. Has anyone been able to get rid of that background hiss?
It's a case-by-case basis for me - it's clearly audible on my ZMF Eikons, both with and without jumpers installed. Perfectly quiet on my Grados (GH1) and Senn HD650's.

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #364 of 759
So I just purchased my unit and I have a ton of background noise with jumpers installed using my hd800S and focal elears. It's such a great amp but the noise floor is ridiculous. Now I see some people saying their is no background noise and some like me saying their clearly is. Has anyone been able to get rid of that background hiss?
Try using it without the jumpers installed. You should hear no hiss then. With jumpers installed, for the focal elears I think hiss is to be expected at 80 ohms as that provides a lot of power through. With the 800S @ 300 ohms you shouldn't be getting a ton of hiss as you described. It should be a soft but slightly audible hiss during silence which you don't hear when music plays. I suspect cabling issues or some sort of ground loop upstream. Is it a USB powered DAC? Could be dirty power.

I doubt it's unit variance. It shouldn't vary that much. Maybe you got a bad unit. If the noise goes completely away without jumpers, then it's probably normal and may be quiter with a different unit and cable upstream. If the noise doesn't go away without jumpers then there is likely a problem.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #365 of 759
Try using it without the jumpers installed. You should hear no hiss then. With jumpers installed, for the focal elears I think hiss is to be expected at 80 ohms as that provides a lot of power through. With the 800S @ 300 ohms you shouldn't be getting a ton of hiss as you described. It should be a soft but slightly audible hiss during silence which you don't hear when music plays. I suspect cabling issues or some sort of ground loop upstream. Is it a USB powered DAC? Could be dirty power.

I doubt it's unit variance. It shouldn't vary that much. Maybe you got a bad unit. If the noise goes completely away without jumpers, then it's probably normal and may be quiter with a different unit and cable upstream. If the noise doesn't go away without jumpers then there is likely a problem.

I might try some new rca cables maybe audio quest and see if it changes anything

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #366 of 759
No hiss here with jumpers installed on my: T50rp argon, Hd58x, hd6xx, dt880 600ohm, Philips SHL3300. I can only produce hiss with a paused track with volume turned beyond 90% on my most sensitive IEMs, Tin Audio T2, KZ ZS6.

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #367 of 759
Perhaps its headphones and not the amp? But in this instance a hd800S shouldn't have any background noise at all. I'm disappointed
I'm borrowing a friend's HD800S's tomorrow so I'll let you know how that works out for me.

Jul 23, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #369 of 759
I also had a fair amount of noise floor with my HD600's -- which isn't really supposed to happen. So I returned mine. (It was a factory refurbished unit so I wonder if that was the issue the first owner had had as well)

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #370 of 759
I contacted customer service they said a technician would get in touch with me, and so far they haven't. I sent them a copy of my receipt since they requested it. I'll keep you guys posted. But so far customer service is wack

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #371 of 759
i had an issue with the first once i received. there was a good scratch on the front and a small dent in it. i called them and they handled it asap. i had a new one shipped out as soon as they saw the tracking number was moving back to them. i suggest calling if you dont get a email response timely. they were great to deal with.

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #372 of 759
i had an issue with the first once i received. there was a good scratch on the front and a small dent in it. i called them and they handled it asap. i had a new one shipped out as soon as they saw the tracking number was moving back to them. i suggest calling if you dont get a email response timely. they were great to deal with.

Thanks that is great to hear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back