Emmeline XP-7 vs. HeadAmp GS-1
Mar 8, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #16 of 66
When I listened to these amps, I felt that the XP-7 injected nice warmth and body to the HD600s. The GS-1 was ok and more neutral, a tad leaner but cleaner; however it didn't get me involved in the music as much as the XP-7.

Source was the DV-50 so maybe the GS-1 was transparent to the point where I was directly hearing the source itself...who knows.

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #17 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
When I listened to these amps, I felt that the XP-7 injected nice warmth and body to the HD600s. The GS-1 was ok and more neutral, a tad leaner but cleaner; however it didn't get me involved in the music as much as the XP-7.

Source was the DV-50 so maybe the GS-1 was transparent to the point where I was directly hearing the source itself...who knows.

I dont know your source, but with the Eastsound E5 or the sacdmods 555es the GS-1 has a very refined and rich tonality to its presentation. Furthermore, IMO, the HR-2 I tried (using the sacdmods 555es) could sound congested in the lower mids ... while the GS-1 remained transparent and more resolving. Note also, Billy said he heard the tape hiss of a recording with the GS-1 and not the HR-2 .... thats about the GS-1 having more resolution. You hear blackness because, IMO, the HR-2's resolution limit was exceeded. I have heard this and I know exactly what he means. Tape hiss in the recording just doesnt disappear.

I dont know everyones listening volume but the HR-2 doesnt come alive at all using my standard listening level. I had to turn the volume up a lot to get much in the way of dynamics. At that volume that the HR-2 began to open up the volume was to much for me. Sorry, but IMO .... I think the GS-1 is not just different but better sounding.

By the way, do I get an explanation of Raisins post? Whatever the point .... its not clicking at all.
confused.gif

Billy, as to your assessment, thats your opinion ... and I have mine. So I guess we disagree. I dont see where I am wrong. I stated what I heard and I strategically placed the IMO's throughout my post. No hard feelings please, again its my opinion.

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #19 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Splitters are ok but I find they are very hard on the RCA jacks. The denon may be $3500 but if it has buffered tape outs, likely a given, then you will be putting the signal through another active stage. I always hear deterioration when I hook up a headamp through active tape outs. If he has a processor loop ... thats essentially another name for a loop out .... that would work.

I just got off the phone with Denon customer service and tech support..they said no buffers in the tape/cdr loop outs...

and he laughed at me for asking!

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #20 of 66
Let's not let the personal insults and other such nonsense start to fly in here.

This is a discussion, not an argument. Everyone is entitled to his opinion, whether it's right or not (
wink.gif
).

I've already had to delete one post, and if I have to delete any more I'll lock the thread.

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #21 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
mazersteven as I said in the p.m. you should post your questions here...

what source/dvd/cd player are you using? also are you going into the Receiver in digital or analog?
if your using digital then the only option is to go from the tape/cdr output to the headphone amp since niether of them have a dac to decode the digital signals...

again sorry about the p.m. but I would always rather keep things into the open...I feel like I am hiding something if I do p.m.'s

My DVD player is a cheap (for now) Toshiba SD-3800. It's connected through Component Video inputs (Digital) to the Receiver . And Digital Optical to the Receiver.

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #22 of 66
My experience with the RSA XP-7 has been quite good. It's one of my favorite amps, and I think that it does a very nice job with Sennheisers or especially the AKG K-501.

I've had limited exposure (mostly at two meets) to Gilmore designs like the GS-1. I can see why some folks like them a lot, and the HeadAmp build quality is excellent (as has been stated here already). I just don't care for what happens to the midrange - it seemed thin to me.

Now, admittedly my experience is limited wrt a product like the GS-1...so you can take that for what it's worth. It's also my OPINION, which I state as such, and NOT as fact. My best advice is to try both.

I guess the long and short of this is that different folks have different experiences with different amps.

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #23 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
Let's not let the personal insults and other such nonsense start to fly in here.

This is a discussion, not an argument. Everyone is entitled to his opinion, whether it's right or not (
wink.gif
).

I've already had to delete one post, and if I have to delete any more I'll lock the thread.

Don't lock my Thread. I'm trying to learn here.
eggosmile.gif

Yes everyone has there own opinions. Lets respect them, Please.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #24 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by mazersteven
My DVD player is a cheap (for now) Toshiba SD-3800. It's connected through Component Video inputs (Digital) to the Receiver . And Digital Optical to the Receiver.

Then you have to use the DAC (Digital audio converter) in your Receiver to give you an audio (analog, what we hear) signal to your amp...

Or you can also use the analog outputs of the DVD player without any loop outputs or spilting to worry about. you can keep the Receiver hooked up how it is now and drive the amp using analog outputs.

In other words not only do you NOT need any loop outs but now you should look more in terms of sonic difference between the amps. the GS-1 has the preamp out and the loop outs and for people who require this then the GS-1 has a clear must over the XP-7...but not in your rig.

Again you have to try out both amps and Its cool kind of cause you can you the analog out from the receiver (I would think the dac in a $3500 denon is better quality) or you can use the analog out of the dvd player since there is no connection now anyway...

You see the advantage of public forum? if you would of stuck in the p.m.'s the one small misstake (not thinking of digital output,) would of been over looked and when you got the amp in..you would say "why do I need this amp because of loop outs?"..

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #25 of 66
So from reading your post about Discrete, & Opamp Amp's. I have this question.

The RSA HR-2 vs. the XP-7. Less then a $200 difference. Opinions for my system?

And from your other posts it seems I don't need the Preamp feature on the GS-1, so the Gilmore Lite with Power supply would be better.

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #26 of 66
Like tube rolling, swapping op-amps has makes profound differences in an amp's resulting sound. This is a great feature of the RS amps, imo. There are many choices that hardly cost anything. The GS-1's sound is what it is. Whether you prefer it or not is up to you (I've never heard one, so I have no preference), but I personally wouldn't count on interchangeable modules in the near future.

If you need a preamp, the GS-1 is your choice. Otherwise, let the sound be your guide. Btw, it is my understanding from reading various reviews here, that the Gilmore Lite does not sound like the GS-1, but more like the older Gilmore v2, so fyi.

The great news is that all of these are top-notch products that will either last you a lifetime, or have great resale value. Heck, you will probably buy and sell all of these amps before settling down with your final rig. So just have fun with the process
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #27 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
The GS-1's sound is what it is. Whether you prefer it or not is up to you (I've never heard one, so I have no preference), but I personally wouldn't count on interchangeable modules in the near future.

From what I have been told new modules are going to be released very soon.

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #30 of 66
When I spoke to Justin Wilson regarding the forthcoming modules for the GS-1 he was unable to comment on how the modules would differ from the original equipment pieces. I am confident that as the release date for the modules is neared many questions will be answered.

Best,
iDesign

Users who are viewing this thread

Back